Writing at speed

JPINFV

Gadfly
As long as there's no patient identifiers on the notes, it shouldn't be a problem. If there is, just keep it with the rest of your PCRs until you can properly (i.e. shred or document destruction bin) dispose of it.

My one problem with your plan is that if you do it at base, then who ever you are handing over care to won't get a copy of your PCR.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
As long as there's no patient identifiers on the notes, it shouldn't be a problem. If there is, just keep it with the rest of your PCRs until you can properly (i.e. shred or document destruction bin) dispose of it.

My one problem with your plan is that if you do it at base, then who ever you are handing over care to won't get a copy of your PCR.
That is what they made faxes for.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
It took a long time to learn how to write in the ambulance. I find that if you go with the bumps and stay loose it is a bit better. What killed me was the turns. But, I don't have that problem anymore, I have to re-learn how to type in the ambulance. Along with typing, balancing the lap top on my lap. As for doing my report in the back, if it is a stable discharge or Dr's appointment, I will do most if not all of the report in the truck. If it is a hospital to hospital, most of the time the Pt is stable, and I can bang out most of it. On 911 calls, I tend to do everything at the hospital. I will take notes and shred or destroy them after.

JPINFV

Gadfly
That is what they made faxes for.

No. That's what they made chairs in the nursing station for. What would happen if you were at a nursing home and the nursing home staff said, "Don't worry, we'll fax you the patient's chart later"?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
On 911 runs, per MA OEMS, I have 24 hours to get my PCR to the ER after dropping a patient off, provided I give an adequate transfer of care report. I dont think i have ever seen ER staff read my report, it usually just goes into a box, or into the patient's file. That isnt to say I dont usually finish my report at the ER, because I do.

H+H takes full advantage of this. When they finish their report, sometime later in the day, they submit it via cell, and it is faxed to the ER. They do have printers at each ER, but I dont think I have ever seen them used.

RyanMidd

Forum Lieutenant
I skimmed the 3 pages of replies, and didn't see the strategy that my co-workers and I use.

Duct tape is always plentiful and available, so most of us en-route to a call will take a 6-9 inch long strip and put it on the front or inseam of our pants (lengthwise, or width-wise).

Also in abundance are sharpies, which work great to jot down call details on said duct tape. I find that I understand my own shorthand well enough that I can piece together a good PCR after dropping off PT.

I originally began writing details on gloves, but I found that I change gloves frequently during "wet" calls and had a tough time remembering what the bariatric patient's 3rd BP reading was. With the duct tape, I have ample room, and I can just peel it off and chuck it after the call.

Yes, bumps do sometimes make your marker slide off the tape, but our uniforms are dark navy pants, and the marker blips don't show.
I'm all in favor of a future EMS where smart machines record any vitals spoken aloud. But I guess that's more sci-fi than anything.