Worst names for an ambulance service...

Handsome Rob

Forum Crew Member
What are the absolute worst names, and the best, you have encountered?

Mine...mauran, ambu...anything, transaid, and rsi.

Best...mercy, guardian

sent from my mobile command center. or phone. whatever.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Lynch. Sure, it's a vanity name, but as I used to tell the nurses when they asked how to spell it, "Lynch, like the verb."

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I think anything that has "life" or "care" in it is just tired.

In our area we have LifeCare (stupid also because of the random capitalization), also Lifeline. There's a company called Forrest Ambulance, and to make sure they are keeping up with the caring people they lettered "We Care" in quotes in all four sides of the box

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I still say if I ever run a HEMS operation it will be:
StarStatLifeRescueAirFlightCareEvac...just so I have all my bases covered :D.

SeanEddy

Forum Lieutenant
I always thought of something like "Elite, Tactical, First-Response Ambulance" would be appropriate.

.....oh and it would be an IFT service.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
I still say if I ever run a HEMS operation it will be:
StarStatLifeRescueAirFlightCareEvac...just so I have all my bases covered :D.

lol, funny story from just yesterday.

I work occasional per diem at a remote health clinic that has only one road 90 miles long for ground access, 60 of it gravel. Nearest hospital is 110 miles away. Our minor patients go out by car, serious by ambulance from said hospital (2 hour wait and 5 hour round trip) critical go by fixed wing air amb. There is no HEMS for over 700 miles.

We have a treated gravel airstrip, but the ground water has damaged it so that it is too soft for our fixed wing air ambulance. The road had been damaged by spring runoff to the point that the ground ambulance is unable to get here. A flood is forecast for the region next week which will put that road under water. To transport our serious and critical patients out we have secured two Bell 204s which are on loan to us from forestry.

When I radioed in for our patient transports yesterday I called us Thunderbird 1 and Thunderbird 2, ;)

For you young punks....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbirds_(TV_series)

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
/\
/ \
/ \
|
YAY!!! Thunderbirds are GO!!!!|​
I think anything that has "life" or "care" in it is just tired.

In our area we have LifeCare (stupid also because of the random capitalization), also Lifeline. There's a company called Forrest Ambulance, and to make sure they are keeping up with the caring people they lettered "We Care" in quotes in all four sides of the box

I used to work for Lifecare NHS Trust in Caterham, Surrey, UK

Strangest I have seen here is PMT Ambulance Service. They regularly go into Sebring Hospital, Florida. PMT? Does that mean if you don't get out their way the get pissed?

(PMT (Pre Menstrual Tension) in the UK is the same as PMS)

Last edited by a moderator:

Anjel

Forum Angel
Star is definitely overrated.

Alliance is the best if you ask me :D

Patriot is ok.

STAT and Schwartz. YUCK :blink:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Any sort of medical term name. PRN and STAT are probably the two biggest offenders. Also, any common words. How many "Care Ambulances" are there?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
A little off topic but how long do you think it will be before Walmart gets in on the action. "Walcare". Can you imagine working on a Walmart owned ambulance :) It's just a matter of time really.

JPINFV

Gadfly
A little off topic but how long do you think it will be before Walmart gets in on the action. "Walcare". Can you imagine working on a Walmart owned ambulance :) It's just a matter of time really.

You mean an IFT service that's honest with itself? It would be better than, say, Target Ambulance. Target Ambulance: Cheap service for deluded yuppies.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
You mean an IFT service that's honest with itself? It would be better than, say, Target Ambulance. Target Ambulance: Cheap service for deluded yuppies.

As a pseudo yuppie I take offense to that.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Anything with an acronym, because it can be be played with. For example, AMR can be Another Moron Responding.

Anything with care in the name. For example, Metroscare, Tran - scare, etc.

Anything with life in the name. For example, Lifestar = Deathstar.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Any sort of medical term name. PRN and STAT are probably the two biggest offenders. Also, any common words. How many "Care Ambulances" are there?

Didn't you work for an ambulance service not too long ago that had a name like that...? AND did only IFT?
OTOH, I work for a service that has it too... but if you ask one of our owners, it's all an acronym for something else.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader

We did have a Target Emergency Response Team when I was a manager there.