Working in EMS with a Felony Record

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
Bouncing a check isn't a criminal offense. Most of the time, bad check cases come out of people writing checks on closed accounts. Even then, there are usually multiple demands for payment before anything criminal comes of it.

As for marriageable age, that depends on state law. There are still places you can marry that young, IIRC.

And just to back up what im saying with fact.. here is the state law regarding worthless checks:

832.05 Giving worthless checks, drafts, and debit card orders; penalty; duty of drawee; evidence; costs; complaint form.--

(1) PURPOSE.--The purpose of this section is to remedy the evil of giving checks, drafts, bills of exchange, debit card orders, and other orders on banks without first providing funds in or credit with the depositories on which the same are made or drawn to pay and satisfy the same, which tends to create the circulation of worthless checks, drafts, bills of exchange, debit card orders, and other orders on banks, bad banking, check kiting, and a mischief to trade and commerce.

(2) WORTHLESS CHECKS, DRAFTS, OR DEBIT CARD ORDERS; PENALTY.--

(a) It is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to draw, make, utter, issue, or deliver to another any check, draft, or other written order on any bank or depository, or to use a debit card, for the payment of money or its equivalent, knowing at the time of the drawing, making, uttering, issuing, or delivering such check or draft, or at the time of using such debit card, that the maker or drawer thereof has not sufficient funds on deposit in or credit with such bank or depository with which to pay the same on presentation; except that this section does not apply to any check when the payee or holder knows or has been expressly notified prior to the drawing or uttering of the check, or has reason to believe, that the drawer did not have on deposit or to the drawer's credit with the drawee sufficient funds to ensure payment as aforesaid, nor does this section apply to any postdated check.

(b) A violation of the provisions of this subsection constitutes a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083, unless the check, draft, debit card order, or other written order drawn, made, uttered, issued, or delivered is in the amount of $150, or its equivalent, or more and the payee or a subsequent holder thereof receives something of value therefor. In that event, the violation constitutes a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Im going by what I know about the law in the state of florida... thats where I work and live. I should have stated that in my previous post sorry

I just looked up section 832 because I'm geeky like that. Writing a bad check is not against the law. Intentionally writing a bad check is against the law. Similarly, if you don't pay the amount plus a service charge following a bounced check within 15 days is prima facie evidence of intent. There are some laws where ignorance is a legitimate defense, however those are few and an ignorance defense is written into the law.

Another example to the ignorance law is that in California it is unlawful in most cases (e.g. home owners can possess on their property) to knowingly have a firearm within 1000 feet of a school due to unarmed victi... err... gun free school law. The key word there is "knowingly" because if your right on that 1000 feet border and don't know that there's a school around, then it is possible to not be prosecuted.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
And just to back up what im saying with fact.. here is the state law regarding worthless checks:

I'm not suggesting that you're wrong on the technical application of the law (though as JPINFV points out, take note of the word 'knowing' in the statute, which is the highest possible level of mens rea). I'm simply saying that for the most part, prosecutors don't have the time or inclination to get involved every time someone kites a check for their groceries. Of course, kite a $200,000 check, and you'll be getting a visit from the men in blue. :)

The relevant statute in New Jersey is NJSA 2C:21-5, and requires that you issue the instrument with knowledge that it will be dishonored. Knowledge is presumed if either: A ) you have no account with the drawee bank or B ) you don't make good on the check within 10 days after receiving notice of dishonor. Of course, since this is criminal law, the presumption is only a reasonable inference that the jury may, or may not, draw from the facts, as they so choose. If the check is post-dated, the State doesn't even have the benefit of the presumption.

Trying to get somewhat back on topic... People make mistakes. That's what youthful offender sentences, pre-trial intervention/conditional discharge, and expungement statutes are for. When you start to get beyond that, then the criminal behavior in question is becoming more serious, and /should/ give pause to any EMS employer or licensing agency. This is especially true with EMS workers (and other health professions) who will have access to prescription-only items, and will be welcomed into people's houses with a sense of almost absolute trust.

MDewell

Forum Probie
If expungement is totally and absolutely 100% out of the question, I'd wonder exactly what it was you did. I'd be making some phone calls until I found a lawyer who could actually do something for me...

Are you certain it's not expungeable? There are tons of issues with felons who think they can't get one, only to find out (for a fee, obviously) and a clean 10 year record that they can get one.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
The OP was a hit and run and will derive no benefit from our input. I suspect none of the posters since have had felonies to deal with (with the possible exception of myself), and all I have to say is: "If it's important to you, you'll get over the hurdle. If you really want help, ask for it."

firetender

Whizzing in the Wind!

The OP was a hit and run and will derive no benefit from our input. I suspect none of the posters since have had felonies to deal with (with the possible exception of myself), and all I have to say is: "If it's important to you, you'll get over the hurdle. If you really want help, ask for it."

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
JUST TELL US WHAT YOU DID! :p

Its killing me

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
It's unfortunate that so many doors are closed to you and as an individual you have my sympathy. I appreciate how hard it must be to have poor decisions from decades ago dogging you through life; however those are the consequences. Like many professions that rely on the public trust, it is in the best interest of Paramedicine to bar anyone with a criminal record from practice. For that reason I must say that I do not wish to see you, or someone with a DUI, or someone with a juvenile record, or any other indiscretion that discredits them as a member of my profession as a practising Paramedic.

That is not to say I don't wish you personally the best in life, but this door is and should in my mind remain closed.

One can practice in Canada as a EMR, PCP, ACP or CCP With a criminal record provided they have obtained a pardon for the offences. As well the offences must not have been of a sexual nature. When I got my clearence from the RCMP I had a basic reliabilty check done. As well I had to fill out a form allowing the police to disclose if I was pardoned for a sexual offence.

Pitbull21

Forum Ride Along
Anyone familiar with this?

Hows it going everybody, Im Erik 23 years old from El Paso, TX. I have always wanted to become ant EMT but unfortunatley when I was 17 I was conficted of a Felony for Evading Arrest in a Motorized Vehicle and I knew I would have to wait at least 5 years to consider becoming certified. So it has now been 5 years and I can honestly say that I have fully matured and just focused on getting my career going as an EMT but I just hope that my backround will not hold me back. I just recently attempted to have this expunged but the judge stated that I could only have a non disclosure which means Law Enforcement will still have access to it. I was young and immature when I was convicted and learned from my mistakes. What do you guys think?

Tonester

Forum Probie
Hows it going everybody, Im Erik 23 years old from El Paso, TX. I have always wanted to become ant EMT but unfortunatley when I was 17 I was conficted of a Felony for Evading Arrest in a Motorized Vehicle and I knew I would have to wait at least 5 years to consider becoming certified. So it has now been 5 years and I can honestly say that I have fully matured and just focused on getting my career going as an EMT but I just hope that my backround will not hold me back. I just recently attempted to have this expunged but the judge stated that I could only have a non disclosure which means Law Enforcement will still have access to it. I was young and immature when I was convicted and learned from my mistakes. What do you guys think?

We're you convicted as a juvenile or as an adult?

Also find out if you get the conviction reduced to a misdemeanor and expunged.

durdenpb

Forum Ride Along
Emt with felony

Ok, so people dont realize that we are humans, EVERYONE makes mistakes EVERYONE breaks the law, its just us that get caught and we have to live with the felony on our record, not you. And for people to automatically pass judgement on myself a convicted felony or anyone else who has this issue, is plum ignorance, yes I do agree to an extent there is a limit and a line to draw, murders and serious crimes against people yes should be said no to certain jobs, But dont forget WE TOO are humans and breath the same air as you do. Our bills come from the same place as yours, your money is no better than ours and yet you still think it is ok to judge us because we had a bad decision earlier in life. Thou shalt not pass judgement.

I am in emt school now and my felony is for grand theft from 2005, which I was railroaded on and currently have the case in district appeals. And only did 2 years probation and have been clean since other than a few speeding tickets.

NO SIN IS WORSE THAN THE OTHER.. you smoke? you drink? are you fat? God states that anything that we do to harm our bodies is a sin. So what makes your sin different from mine? so unless you want judgement passed upon you... think before you open your mouth.

Good day and good luck to all my fellow felons that are trying to do better with their lifes.

Remeber343

Forum Lieutenant
Ok, so people dont realize that we are humans, EVERYONE makes mistakes EVERYONE breaks the law, its just us that get caught and we have to live with the felony on our record, not you. And for people to automatically pass judgement on myself a convicted felony or anyone else who has this issue, is plum ignorance, yes I do agree to an extent there is a limit and a line to draw, murders and serious crimes against people yes should be said no to certain jobs, But dont forget WE TOO are humans and breath the same air as you do. Our bills come from the same place as yours, your money is no better than ours and yet you still think it is ok to judge us because we had a bad decision earlier in life. Thou shalt not pass judgement.

I am in emt school now and my felony is for grand theft from 2005, which I was railroaded on and currently have the case in district appeals. And only did 2 years probation and have been clean since other than a few speeding tickets.

NO SIN IS WORSE THAN THE OTHER.. you smoke? you drink? are you fat? God states that anything that we do to harm our bodies is a sin. So what makes your sin different from mine? so unless you want judgement passed upon you... think before you open your mouth.

Good day and good luck to all my fellow felons that are trying to do better with their lifes.

Breaking the law and sins are two different things... In order to have sins, you have to believe in a religion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
My thoughts:

You broke the law, you pay the consequences. I'm fairly familiar with the wrong side of the justice system and still have a 911 job however I never committed a felony or violent crime.

/thread.

Remeber343

Forum Lieutenant
I just think comparing smoking, drinking and being fat to committing a felony kind of a joke, far fetched. There is no correlation, and if you don't have the common sense to not commit a felony, and the fact that you try to correlate a felony to something like being fat, it shows that you kind of a warped sense of reality. I'd suggest a different line of work, we had someone with a felony work for us, she tried to get her medic cert after taking the class and passing everything, and then the state withheld it because of her felony.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

You make it sound as if we all walk around committing felonies every day. That may be your problem is you think it's okay to break the law, you just usually don't get caught. That is not at all the case my friend. If your morals are so displaced, and you still feel its okay to break the law (from the sound of it), than maybe you should find yourself a new career path.

And while I'm not real well versed in the bible, I would personally rather have you steal my bike than put a knife in my chest. That "no sin is worse than the other" is complete bull:censored::censored::censored::censored: out of any other context than biblical. Unfortunately for you, this includes the law. I may speed from time to time, but its never even crossed my mind to steal a freaking car!

Oh, and I don't drink, don't smoke, and I'm not fat... :)

Anjel

Forum Angel
A company would still hire me over you even if I do drink and am fat lol you made an incredably stupjd choice to steal a car!

I wouldnt want you no where near my company. Especially since it was only 6 years ago and you show no remorse for your actions.

firetender

Condemnation

I suspect the latest flurry on this thread is more about closing doors based on a word; "Felony".

The bump poster is obviously dealing with a lot of frustration based on actions in the past. He knows who he is today and it probably doesn't correspond with who he was when he played Grand Theft Auto.

Still, he's out there and stumbling over the priliminary hurdle which is "Felony on your record, sorry, Chum!"

I say it doesn't matter what you've done, what matters is who you are and the Poster needs to realize he's just going to have to work a hell of a lot harder to get people to "see" him for who he is today.

What he did is now on his record as a bad mark, and, YES, a bar to employment in certain areas. That shouldn't stop him from going for what moves him regardless. In my experience (21 years old popped and convicted for "Attempted sale of a dangerous drug", a 4th degree-borderline Misdemeanor- felony with a one-year sentence) I, at first didn't even get the chance to explain that it was about marijuana.

Paradoxically, that very conviction propelled me into being on the first wave of paramedics. Why? Because in order to better structure my time I applied to volunteer on a NYC ambulance, was turned down because of my Felony, and, quite frankly, I wouldn't let them get away with it.

To their credit, they did pay attention to ME and it started my life in a new, positive direction but I had to sweat it out and not give up. I don't care that that was 1974, nothing is different today.

My point for the Poster is you don't have to convince us you're EMT-worthy. Do the work and get the people who make the decisions face YOU, not the piece of paper hanging around your neck.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
So I drink beer from time to time...does that make me a sinner? Almost every biblical story has wine involved in it. Being fat in history was seen as a sign of wealth and good health and was desirable by women. There are multiple religions that smoke tobacco or other substances as part of their religious practices. I think you should do a little bit of reading before trying to correlate the above mentioned to felonies, let alone sins.

I'm not religious but I have a solid understanding of it seeing as I went to a Catholic HS for the athletic program. You sir are twisting up concepts in order to justify it to yourself and others. That thought process will not get you very far, especially not in this line of work.

Why the heck has religion popped up in multiple threads all of the sudden? I'm all for a friendly discussion but we all know with the personalities on here this will not end well.

Remeber343

Forum Lieutenant
It could be popping up because some people are looking for drama or they just don't think things through... I believe the above just didn't think through the analogy he tried to use.