Working in EMS with a Felony Record

doccamden

Forum Ride Along
Good morning every one;

I have found like any other industry in the United States it is difficult for some one with a Felony conviction to gain employment. After a period of over 10 years (arrested in 1993 and convicted in 1994 released in 1995 off of supervision since 1997) I find that in 2010 the State and some transport companies are very harsh against a person who made a bad judgement. Almost 20 years since I have been arrested and some EMT's have DWI's and Traffic issues (which I never had... I dont drink or smoke intoxicants) and yet there is almost an impossibility of aquiring a 911 job. Does any one have any simular stories and suggested solutions (btw expungment is out of the question because of the nature of the crime) Just one more thing if the state will approve me (and I hope the government standards should be the bench mark...) why cant there be some consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:

nemedic

Forum Captain
I know that most just see that "F" word on the application, and toss it. Some might work with you, depending on what the charge was, time since, and the remainder of your record. The thing you have to look at though is that the market for EMTs is pretty well saturated with the stuggling economy and people turning to it after leaving another career. So companies that might have been willing to "take a chance" on someone with a record probably wont now that the applicant pool is so saturated especially if you are an EMT-B. You could also try going to court and trying to get the conviction expunged so that it wont appear on a background check. Though I am not a lawyer, and did not stay in a holiday inn express last night, so seek competent counsel and not rely on an opinion from an anonymous person over the internet. Also, companies might overlook some traffic violations for new hires. DWI/DUI and some serious traffic issues generally is an automatic NOGO. If they are already on the job, they might just get suspended, depends on the company.

8jimi8

CFRN
if expunction is out of the question, you could look at a petition of non-disclosure, but the state EMS board will still have access to it. That procedure just makes it so that private entities are not privy to your history.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
It can be unfortunate. At this point, it probably should not be considered. However we gointo people's homes, deal with people at their weakest and have access to drugs and valuables. Few can justify hiring ex felons to do this.

OP
OP
D

doccamden

Forum Ride Along
It can be unfortunate. At this point, it probably should not be considered. However we gointo people's homes, deal with people at their weakest and have access to drugs and valuables. Few can justify hiring ex felons to do this.

Then the state should have never certified me, the recitvism rates exist based on the fact that there is a lack of education, oppertunity, and the fact that matters of employment if the crime doesnt relate to liability at a paticular job then this shouldnt have bearing. Case in point (just for dialog not to make this a soap box issue) a person can be convicted on theif by deception for selling boot leg clothing ( you can see this at any flea market of your choice) you are hired by a store and as a manager you are in charge, how ever you dont know whats real or fake, cant tell whats a real Hilfiger or Nickfiga lol. Yet you can be convicted for felony conspiracy Theft by deception... I have seen that many people are forced to accept pleas due to the fact they cant fight court cases because of poverty, and lack of other resources. The justice system is really flawed unless you got $. Personally I think that after some time or the relative matters of the crime should be considered and detail on a back ground check.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
The idea of measuring people based on the past is a bit flawed I agree. After all, it completely eliminates the possibility of redemption, while rewarding those who have never been caught doing something. (case in point a firefighter in my home town was convicted of being a serial rapist over 10 years) however, he had not been caught earlier so his background check was clean and many of the women claimed they didn't file charges initially because nobody would believe they were raped by such an upstanding member of the community.

I have seen a few very good providers get turned down over past indiscetions. (Like past substance abuse and not convicted of a crime)

But it is what it is.

As it was said, EMTs are a dime a dozen. You have to decide if you are going to fight the system or if you would be better off on another path. If you are really passionate about medicine, perhaps the military might offer some opportunities.

Good luck in your endeavors.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
It's unfortunate that so many doors are closed to you and as an individual you have my sympathy. I appreciate how hard it must be to have poor decisions from decades ago dogging you through life; however those are the consequences. Like many professions that rely on the public trust, it is in the best interest of Paramedicine to bar anyone with a criminal record from practice. For that reason I must say that I do not wish to see you, or someone with a DUI, or someone with a juvenile record, or any other indiscretion that discredits them as a member of my profession as a practising Paramedic.

That is not to say I don't wish you personally the best in life, but this door is and should in my mind remain closed.

nemedic

Forum Captain
Personally I think that after some time or the relative matters of the crime should be considered and detail on a back ground check.

I agree with you, but companies are able to be much more selective than in the past. With the applicant pool so large, they'll use just about anything even remotely negative to rule people out. Good luck in your search.

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
Paramedics and EMT's should be subjected to the same background and hiring standards that Law Enforcement Officers are subjected to. This means that anyone with a Felony record should be barred from working in EMS. There are just too many trust issues and as far as Im concerned it is a Character issue.

Would you want a convicted felon working on you or your family?

reaper

Working Bum
We cannot offer you advice without knowing the whole story.

If you were convicted of theft by deception, for selling fake clothes, I would not have a problem with it. If you were arrested for armed robbery or assault, Don't even bother applying!

It all does matter and you will live with your life choices forever.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
How about stealing food to feed your sister's starving child?

This is getting a little to Javert like for me. Especially since there are places in the world where speaking against the government is a felony punishable by death.

Also, if you remove any chance for felons to reintegrate ito society, you leave them no alternative but crime.

How about a missionary convicted of human trafficing for removing kids from disaster zones?

Drug mules to feed their family?

absolute exclusion is nothing more than tyranny

reaper

Working Bum
How about stealing food to feed your sister's starving child? If explained, it can be worked out!
This is getting a little to Javert like for me. Especially since there are places in the world where speaking against the government is a felony punishable by death. Again, explain why!
Also, if you remove any chance for felons to reintegrate ito society, you leave them no alternative but crime. Some will never have that chance, due to the crime they committed. Would you want a convicted mass murder coming into you home, when you are alone? Not going to put the public in that jeopardy!How about a missionary convicted of human trafficing for removing kids from disaster zones? Depends on situation!Drug mules to feed their family? Not in a million years! If they are willing to do it, they are willing to do anything for money! They had other choices in life!absolute exclusion is nothing more than tyranny
I agree, every case is different and that is why you must know the situation, before offering advice!

Life is never absolute. But, you live with the choices you make!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Drug mules to feed their family?

Not trying to attack anyone, but just some perspective to consider.

I am not talking about sophisticated smugglers, I mean the really low people who get paid almost nothing and forfeit their lives should they fail.

Unfortunately such a level of poverty exists in the US today that some do have to chose between this and their children eating. Their other options are usually equally as bad, like prostitution.

What some have to resort to to survive is tragic. I saw an article on the local news last week about 13 and 14 year old girls prostituting themselves because their families were poor and the harassment they got from other students in school for not having things like cell phones and brandname cloths was so bad that selling themsleves to fit in was in their mind the lesser of two evils. When interviewed the school officials denied witnessing any harassment. In your local town you really think the star quarterback or cheerleader will be severely punished for their choice to torment or torture the less fortunate? How about the mayor's kids? The Police officer's? Would be a shame to "wreck their lives because they have so much potential for poor decisions in youth." A slap on the wrist for people wrecking other peoples lives in a way that can never be returned to normal.

The puropse of society is to protect people who have similar traits and values. It is neither equal nor just. By design it is exclusionary. For as "civilized" as we become some base aspects of primate nature will never go away.

Unfortunately in the US today, many will not even have a chance to explain their circumstances. Even if they get that opportunity, whether or not the explanation to a potential employer is acceptable is subjective.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
If you where a non violent or sexual offender and the charges were not drug related, and its been a decade with no criminal history, your getting shafted in my mind. Like you said... why would the state even grant you a cert? If the state looked at what you did and granted you a cert that shows something.

It might not be easy and you might have to relocate, but I would bet there is something out there for you if you really want to pursue the time and effort. Just be honest about your history and maybe get some good letters of of recommendation IMO.

Something else to think about. We have a local EMS agency that only handles drug and alcohol related calls and brings the patients to detox. Its called CHEIRS and they are ran by a place called central city concerns. They prefer to hire people in special target groups, such as ex cons, drug and etoh abuse hx, ect ect. Its worth looking into in your area.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
If you where a non violent or sexual offender and the charges were not drug related, and its been a decade with no criminal history, your getting shafted in my mind. Like you said... why would the state even grant you a cert? If the state looked at what you did and granted you a cert that shows something.

It might not be easy and you might have to relocate, but I would bet there is something out there for you if you really want to pursue the time and effort. Just be honest about your history and maybe get some good letters of of recommendation IMO.

Something else to think about. We have a local EMS agency that only handles drug and alcohol related calls and brings the patients to detox. Its called CHEIRS and they are ran by a place called central city concerns. They prefer to hire people in special target groups, such as ex cons, drug and etoh abuse hx, ect ect. Its worth looking into in your area.
Wait, are you seriously advocating that convicted sex offenders be allowed to deal with patients? Don't we, as an industry, have enough problems with EMS personnel sexually assaulting patients in the back of an ambulance?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
sorry that was a typo. where NOT one of those things. NOT a sexual or violent offender.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Then the state should have never certified me, the recitvism rates exist based on the fact that there is a lack of education, oppertunity, and the fact that matters of employment if the crime doesnt relate to liability at a paticular job then this shouldnt have bearing. Case in point (just for dialog not to make this a soap box issue) a person can be convicted on theif by deception for selling boot leg clothing ( you can see this at any flea market of your choice) you are hired by a store and as a manager you are in charge, how ever you dont know whats real or fake, cant tell whats a real Hilfiger or Nickfiga lol. Yet you can be convicted for felony conspiracy Theft by deception... I have seen that many people are forced to accept pleas due to the fact they cant fight court cases because of poverty, and lack of other resources. The justice system is really flawed unless you got $. Personally I think that after some time or the relative matters of the crime should be considered and detail on a back ground check.
Let it be known I don't think its fair. I just understand the thinking. I hope you can find a place of of employment.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Wait, are you seriously advocating that convicted sex offenders be allowed to deal with patients? Don't we, as an industry, have enough problems with EMS personnel sexually assaulting patients in the back of an ambulance?
teenagers who text naked pictures of themselves are being convicted as sex offenders. Can we be more specific?

John E

Forum Captain
Hmmm...

"Then the state should have never certified me..."

Did the state put a gun to your head and force you to apply for certification?

If you're gonna make an argument that you should be allowed to work with a felony conviction on your record, then argue the merits of your particular situation, claiming that "the state" is at fault for certifying you is a simple refusal to accept the consequences of your own actions.

Were you wrongly convicted? Fight it. Were you wrongly or incorrectly punished? Fight it. But if you did the crime and you knew it was against the law, accept the consequences and do what you can to get your life on the track you want it to be on and quit blaming others for your own failings.

John E