working as an EMT in a skirt

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
My first reaction was to literally LOL at your last two sentences, cuz that doesn't really bother me. :) SiI do wear pants, is there any other reason why a skirt is a bad idea? Other than being seen as looney? :) I really want to know reasons behind every person's point of view.

well it's odvious that with wearing pants and a skirt it's going to be hot with 2 layers of cloths on!! Haha :p

I think the major concern is that normally skirts are really loose and can catch on objects really easily. Or the total opposite and you have the tight fitting skirts that won't allow for a full range of motion.

JPINFV

Gadfly
You sure you want me to answer this? I'll give you a short version. Pants alone are not felt to be modest since they are generally more formfitting. A skirt in this line of work as has been pointed out may not be modest either, therefore you pair them together, and theoretically you have modesty and safety and compliance with OSHA.
Sure, and I accept the short version.

If the concern is form fitting, EMS pants aren't generally form fitting...
http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm/pid_7233_511_taclite_ems_pant_women_39_s_fit/

subliminal1284

Forum Lieutenant
I can see it now, 3am you get a call to give one of the towns homeless men with a history of ETOH abuse a ride to the hospital, he sees a female EMT in a skirt and decides hes gonna run his hand up that skirt and try to cope a quick feel of the goods. :lol:

OP
OP
A

addictedforever

Forum Crew Member
well it's odvious that with wearing pants and a skirt it's going to be hot with 2 layers of cloths on!! Haha :p

I think the major concern is that normally skirts are really loose and can catch on objects really easily. Or the total opposite and you have the tight fitting skirts that won't allow for a full range of motion.

:) I know what you're talking about, but believe it or not, what I've found so far is that I'm generally freezing cold when it's cold outside with both on. And I'm just fine when it's warm out. Not usually to warm. I blame it on the pants. ;)

Sure, and I accept the short version.

If the concern is form fitting, EMS pants aren't generally form fitting...
http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm/pid_7233_511_taclite_ems_pant_women_39_s_fit/

Well, I'll check it out. Thanks! If I could find pants that were not form fitting, perhaps there would be an exception made.

OP
OP
A

addictedforever

Forum Crew Member
I can see it now, 3am you get a call to give one of the towns homeless men with a history of ETOH abuse a ride to the hospital, he sees a female EMT in a skirt and decides hes gonna run his hand up that skirt and try to cope a quick feel of the goods. :lol:

I've already had that experience multiple times, not in EMS, but in a nursing home as a CNA. Trust me, ya learn real quick how to avoid such things. :)

Anjel

Forum Angel
so... just saw the pic of you in your skirt and pants

and im sorry that looks fricken hilarious.

No way my company or school would ever allow that. It just doesn't look professional.

But I am not trying to discourage you. Im sorry if my earlier post sounded rude.

If you can do and can find a place to let you do it. Then more power to ya.

OP
OP
A

addictedforever

Forum Crew Member

No way my company or school would ever allow that. It just doesn't look professional.

But I am not trying to discourage you. Im sorry if my earlier post sounded rude.

:) Okay thanks for your opinion. Glad you could have a laugh. :)

I did not take your earlier post to be rude. Trust me I've had worse. So you think I should just give up the skirt and just wear the pants, provided I could find some I was comfortable with?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
:) Okay thanks for your opinion. Glad you could have a laugh. :)

I did not take your earlier post to be rude. Trust me I've had worse. So you think I should just give up the skirt and just wear the pants, provided I could find some I was comfortable with?

If you could do that then that would be your best bet.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
No problem. It would have to approved by the bishop of my church.

Just make sure that you explain to your bishop why you want to wear the pants. Helping to save lifes, in my opinion, would be a good reason to let you just wear non form fitting pants.

OP
OP
A

addictedforever

Forum Crew Member
Just make sure that you explain to your bishop why you want to wear the pants. Helping to save lifes, in my opinion, would be a good reason to let you just wear non form fitting pants.

Well, I could try to explain, but I have a feeling it wouldn't work. *sigh* if only it would

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Here is the classic verse (according to something) saying women should not wear pants.

“The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.” Deuteronomy 22:5

Now I have never seen a depiction of someone wearing pants in the times that the bible was written. So pants were never to be included in this verse. Even if you say culturally pants are worn by men mainly in the past since their creation. I would say culturally now pants no long "pertaineth unto a man." Heck... Just by Women's pants. Those soly pertaineth unto a woman.

Also as other have stated the clothing worn by men and women in the age that the bible was written were almost identical. With some differences.

I say do what is right for you in regards to your work goals and your religious beliefs. I feel that you will still show respect to God even if you wear pants on the job. Just change back into a skirt after work.

Like I said before . It is your choice. Do what your comfortable with. and in a way that will honor God and you'll be fine.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I know that my service wouldn't allow the skirt. Based on the females I work with and our approved pants that they wear I don't see how they could be considered not modest. They aren't very flattering and sure aren't form fitting. it's not you'd be walking around in tights or daisy dukes.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
I didnt know there was such a prevalence of compulsory pants. We have shorts as part of our uniform, in fact I wore shorts today. We do so at our own peril, such as kneeling in amniotic fluid :eek:

crazycajun

Forum Captain
I did say I would be wearing pants underneath my skirt. And I have climbed ladders and embankments with a skirt on. Trust me, I've done basically everything there is to do with a skirt on. I've done some extreme hiking, because I hunt. I'm used to it. But yes maybe God would forgive me for wearing pants.

OK. So you want to wear a skirt over pants!! WOW!!! Doesn't that defeat the purpose of any religious belief? I mean if you are wearing the pants already and if their is some scripture that says you must only wear skirts, are you not breaking the rules? (I am assuming this is religious as this is the only leg you have to stand on)

18G

Paramedic

Not to sound mean but I thought the same thing. It does look really, really, really bad and outright silly. It does not provide a good image at all for whatever department you would be working/volunteering for.

And I have to agree with a few others who have said this as well. If your church's position and interpretation of scripture is that a woman should not wear male clothing, then how is it acceptable for you to wear pants underneath a skirt? Does the scripture only apply as long as you can't see the opposite genders clothing when they are being worn? Would a guy in your church be okay to wear womens underwear since they wouldn't be visible? It's really the same thing as wearing pants under the skirt.

They make women's pants which make them specific to females. Guy's typically look kinda funny and obvious when wearing women's pants the same as they look funny if wearing a skirt. So they are distinctively different.

crazycajun

Forum Captain
OK I have just seen the picture. Now that I have stopped laughing let's get serious. The skirt you are wearing imposes a loose clothing hazard. It could easily be snagged in an MVC or caught in the stretcher. It could be caught in the stair chair and you and your patient will be tumbling down the stairs or embankment. I also have to question other clothing items against your beliefs. You stated that form fitting clothing is why you must wear the skirt but your shirt clearly indicates you have breast. Does this not violate the same rule?