working as an EMT in a skirt

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Not sure if they can "demand" that, but I doubt their colleagues are unhappy to have people around to work Sundays, Christmas, etc...
When you ask for something and then back up it up with a lawsuit, it's a demand. It will be up to the courts to decide what is allowed.

And true story, when I was working full time in EMS, I asked for a few days off and was given a few days vacation for days that were clearly listed as religious holidays (my religion was known to my coworkers). I didn't ask for any special treatment, and typically this was only 3 times a year, but some of my coworkers asked how I was able to get stuff when they weren't. The question about Christmas was brought up, but no one ever pursued it. I would be curious to see what happens, if you demand a religious accommodation to be off on Christmas, and followed it up with a lawsuit for infringing on your religious beliefs.
You know, that reminds me. Ezras Nashim members probably don't wear pants either.
probably not, however, it's also irrelevant to the topic; I can work on an ambulance wearing a SCUBA wetsuit, but that doesn't mean I should be permitted to if violates a requirement of the job (in this case, an agency mandated uniform).
Yeah, seems reasonable - but we're talking about requirements that aren't necessarily pertinent to the job, right?
Sure. But following that line of thinking, why should I not be allowed to go to work on the ambulance in a T shirt and jeans? it's not pertinent to the job. Why even have a uniform policy?

When I worked at the hospital, we had a fingernail and clean shaven face policy; you had to keep your nails short to prevent infections, and clean shaven because you have to pass a n95 fit test. I was in communication... explain to me how I am going to catch cooties from a patient or TB over the phone? but the rules applied to everyone, and i knew that was a condition of employment when I accepted the position. Is this situation different?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Geeze...sarcasm...a joke....one person responded appropriately. The rest need an enema.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
When you ask for something and then back up it up with a lawsuit, it's a demand. It will be up to the courts to decide what is allowed.

Very true.

I didn't ask for any special treatment, and typically this was only 3 times a year, but some of my coworkers asked how I was able to get stuff when they weren't.

In a way, being able to be off for Xmas on the rationale that it is Xmas is special treatment - I don't see a difference, myself.

it's not pertinent to the job. Why even have a uniform policy?

I see where you're going with this, but I'm talking about a modification to a policy, not a wholesale abrogation.

KnightRider

Forum Crew Member
Wouldnt fly here. We are "uniform" for a reason. As previously mentioned, skirts/dresses on this job are not safe. There was recently a female of Somali/Muslim background who entered the city police academy. While in the academy, she demanded she be allowed to wear her hijab. The city told her it is not safe and is not part of the police uniform. She cried foul and ultimately dropped out of the academy.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
While in the academy, she demanded she be allowed to wear her hijab. The city told her it is not safe and is not part of the police uniform. She cried foul and ultimately dropped out of the academy.
Interesting.... I hope she files a lawsuit against them, because apparently it happens at other places both inside the US and outside.....

jryan06

Forum Ride Along
I just re read the Original post several times My ,question is this; Why are instructors for an EMT-B program giving the OP grief about taking the class? When I took my class there was no uniform requirements to sit in a chair and take notes. I am confused with the direction of the thread. Does the OP have her EMT-B already? If she doesn't have it yet, who cares if she wears dresses to class.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I just re read the Original post several times My ,question is this; Why are instructors for an EMT-B program giving the OP grief about taking the class? When I took my class there was no uniform requirements to sit in a chair and take notes. I am confused with the direction of the thread. Does the OP have her EMT-B already? If she doesn't have it yet, who cares if she wears dresses to class.
There are plenty of programs out there thatrequire students to wear a uniform to class. Both at the basic and medic levels

KnightRider

Forum Crew Member
My EMT class had a uniform requirement as well. You had to buy the school's polo shirt and wear EMS pants and black boots. If you were affiliated with an FD like I was, you had to wear department polo or button-down shirt (no t-shirts).

phideux

Forum Captain
This country is becoming too politically correct, the ways and beliefs of the masses have to bend to the ways and beliefs of the minorities, we need to have special rules and regulations on what folks can wear that doesn't conform to uniform policies. People that get a job in an industry that serves alcohol or certain foods then sues that industry for serving alcohol or certain foods. Who can bake a cake for who without offending anyone. Jesus F Christ, where does it end nowadays. You want to work in an industry that requires a certain uniform standard?? You conform to that standard or find another job, don't expect that industry to conform to your standards or sue when they don't.

Say you are a Muslim and want to work in your Skirt and headgear, you want everyone to be tolerant to your wishes right?? Fine, no problem, you can wear your stuff to the job when your local Mosque allows the gay couple to eat pork chops on Ramadan at your Mosque. Tolerance is a 2 way street.