Woman laying on ground at festival

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
Hey guys- a woman 65-ish is laying down in the shade in a weird spot, like between two jumpy houses. Peole are there: shes talking, able to sit upright when requested, no complaints of pain or dizziness- a lay person ran off and got water and ice, all the mean time she is saying "im fine, im fine." I had told the son (adult) that if she gets cramps or starts acting a bit funny to take her in, first aid came shortly after. But not on duty, is "im fine" a refusal? Some he drank the ice water... First aid did end up calling 911 thank goodness.

I hope this makes sense...

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I have no idea what you're getting at. Are you just asking if the words "I'm fine" mean it's a refusal?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
You aren't working, therefore you can't and have no need to do a "refusal." Just because you're an EMT and talk to someone does not mean you are obligated in any way to look after them.

Also people can lie where they like as far as I am concerned. If someone says "I'm fine," that'll do.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
You're not on duty. Whether or not it's a refusal had nothing to do with you.

Listen to the lizard.

tumblr_lxxi9c2QVH1qb9slxo6_500.gif

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

Ive always been a person to run to people who needed help, even as a kid. That was just a bit fuzzy to me. I just have to remind myself to leave well enough alone. Im learning. Please be patient with me. :(

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Which is fine. But how would you even obtain a refusal? You are not working under a physician's license nor did you really even lay hands on the patient.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Sure, make sure she's ok so you don't need to contact EMS to assist her, but you, yourself, can't be EMS. You can't practice medicine off shift. So you don't need a refusal. Your not a medical provider.

I once took my daughter to a pumpkin patch that had a bounce pad type thing and she fell off. She was fine, and was trying to get back up and jump again. Some bystander ran up and explained to me she needed to go to the hospital to "rule out a concussion", and I needed to listen to him because "he was an EMT and a professional at this kind of stuff" and kept arguing with me despite me repeating that she was fine ( she was up and jumping again at this point). It was the most obnoxious thing ever.

"Not my circus, not my monkeys".

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
We get these types of calls for the music festivals. Of course I'm on duty working as a EMT so theres that, but 99% someone laying down in the shade is sleeping. We wake them up and ask if their alright they say "I'm fine" and I don't do paperwork. I didn't touch the person, no vitals, its simply like a "welfare check" type of situation. We simply go available with no medical aid needed. No problemo.

Now for your situation like others have said, you're off duty and not working so why would you need to do a refusal? Do you carry PCR's with you everywhere you go? Even so your not on duty you're not a medical provider so therefor you don't need a refusal. Also if you're off duty at a festival why are you jumping medical calls? Shouldn't you be enjoying the festival?

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

No, it was nothing like that. I wanted to make sure that she didnt need 911. I guess I was thinking too much again.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Just remember that becoming an EMT doesn't have any bearing on your actions when not at work. You have no additional obligations to do anything more than anyone else does. If I see someone lying on the ground in an unusual area, I might ask if they're okay. If they answer yes, I'd move on with my day. If they answer no, I'd ask what I can do to help and contact 911 if necessary. End of story.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
No, it was nothing like that. I wanted to make sure that she didnt need 911. I guess I was thinking too much again.

Very, very few people actually need 911. Relax, have fun with life, don't stress over stuff like this.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
We get these types of calls for the music festivals. Of course I'm on duty working as a EMT so theres that, but 99% someone laying down in the shade is sleeping. We wake them up and ask if their alright they say "I'm fine" and I don't do paperwork. I didn't touch the person, no vitals, its simply like a "welfare check" type of situation. We simply go available with no medical aid needed. No problemo.

Now for your situation like others have said, you're off duty and not working so why would you need to do a refusal? Do you carry PCR's with you everywhere you go? Even so your not on duty you're not a medical provider so therefor you don't need a refusal. Also if you're off duty at a festival why are you jumping medical calls? Shouldn't you be enjoying the festival?
My favorites are the "**** you, I'm fine." And then they try to get up to walk away and the fall over.... Uhh, Patrol 4, start a cart to the do lab. My favorite was two females who downed a handle of fireball and the guy they were with ditched them in the parking lot. We woke them up and they both said, "We're fineeeeee." but all slurring to hell and unable to stay awake. Ever seen two unconscious's on a cart?... I'm glad they were both skinny, we got the straps around both of them. (Yes they were both ALOC)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
My favorites are the "**** you, I'm fine." And then they try to get up to walk away and the fall over.... Uhh, Patrol 4, start a cart to the do lab. My favorite was two females who downed a handle of fireball and the guy they were with ditched them in the parking lot. We woke them up and they both said, "We're fineeeeee." but all slurring to hell and unable to stay awake. Ever seen two unconscious's on a cart?... I'm glad they were both skinny, we got the straps around both of them. (Yes they were both ALOC)
Ooh how much I don't miss working those concerts haha

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Ooh how much I don't miss working those concerts haha
Haha, I loved it. Hopefully I can do it again. I'm still not sure how I was able to get onto it since I worked back half of the week too.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Haha, I loved it. Hopefully I can do it again. I'm still not sure how I was able to get onto it since I worked back half of the week too.
It's easier to back fill a 911 unit then to cover the concerts. There are a decent number of employees who will not work the event but will gladly back fill a unit.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
It's easier to back fill a 911 unit then to cover the concerts. There are a decent number of employees who will not work the event but will gladly back fill a unit.

I remember working Coachella weekend 2 then doing a 7 day stretch backfilling units. That was a very long week.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
If you start any sort of assessment, my understanding is then you have a duty to act.

Namely, if you observe pale, cool, diaphoretic skin while talking to them about why they are lying down, you are now obligated to follow through.

On the other hand, if you just walk past someone who looks a bit ill and for whatever reason don't ask him anything, you're safe.

This varies. In some places having medical training necessitates duty to act.

And I'm not a lawyer but that's my understanding.

Sounds like you did fine.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If you start any sort of assessment, my understanding is then you have a duty to act.

Namely, if you observe pale, cool, diaphoretic skin while talking to them about why they are lying down, you are now obligated to follow through.

On the other hand, if you just walk past someone who looks a bit ill and for whatever reason don't ask him anything, you're safe.

This varies. In some places having medical training necessitates duty to act.

And I'm not a lawyer but that's my understanding.

Sounds like you did fine.
There are very few states that have any sort of provision for requiring off duty providers to render aid. Assuming this is not the case, as a good samaritan you can do whatever you please provided you are not acting with blatant recklessness. You can observe someone actively dying and do nothing if that's what floats your boat. You can assess them and leave no stone unturned with your thorough evaluation, and then walk away.

You cannot have a duty to act unless you are on duty (save for those few states). We have a sticky regarding individual state variances.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
There are very few states that have any sort of provision for requiring off duty providers to render aid. Assuming this is not the case, as a good samaritan you can do whatever you please provided you are not acting with blatant recklessness. You can observe someone actively dying and do nothing if that's what floats your boat. You can assess them and leave no stone unturned with your thorough evaluation, and then walk away.

You cannot have a duty to act unless you are on duty (save for those few states). We have a sticky regarding individual state variances.

Interesting. I was told if you start, you have to finish. But usually you are not required to start off duty.