Why are Paramedics paid so little?

OP
OP
C

crashh

Forum Crew Member
The living/living well is of course a matter of opinion but at the end of the day most people would probably choose to have the "living well" money even if they choose to just get by.

you misunderstand me. The "just get by" money isn't that if you are living w/in your means.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
80k with very minimal overtime. It can indeed be done, you've just got to look and be willing to travel. And as was mentioned above, you may have to bite the bullet and go Fire/Medic to really pull in the good money.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
80k with very minimal overtime. It can indeed be done, you've just got to look and be willing to travel. And as was mentioned above, you may have to bite the bullet and go Fire/Medic to really pull in the good money.

The key word here is "willing". How many times have you seen people that get all worked up at the thought of having to make even a small commute. We all know that the most successful people in any line of work are the ones that do the unconventional things. Long commutes,taking work where your gone from home during your work week and cross country moves are all things that the less motivated wont consider.

For almost ten years I commuted 3 hours roundtrip and did it six days most weeks. Thats probably a bit extreme for most but many people do long commutes. Twice I have packed up and moved over 1000 miles. Truth is many people are just not willing to make the sacrifices needed to get to the top of thier game.

As far as FF/PM goes its not as easy as it was five years ago but there is still a big advantage for fire applicants that have a medic cert. If you remember there was a time when guys were getting medic certs because it was almost a sure bet you would get a fire job. We ended up with a bunch of crappy medics in the fire service and that trend for the most part died a welcome death. Now its back to where if you want a job that pays a livable wage with excellent benefits and dont mind fire you can with some effort land a FF/PM job. If your young you make a killing on overtime when you can and your out in 25 years with a nice retirement and your still young enough to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Of course there are many medics that will have nothing to do with fire and because of that they will most likely never hit that 80K + which is thier choice. With the economy on its back in most parts of the country most departments are under hiring freezes and many are cutting positions. There are little areas that seem to be immune to this and despite the economy they are still hiring. Over on firehouse.com there is a thread about West Covina,CA Fire and the fact that they just hired 8 people. West Covina has five fire stations,taking on 8 people is huge. They are an example of whats available to those that are "willing" to put in the effort.

nocoderob

Forum Crew Member
Pay will vary with location. I work in the bay area of N. California and with minimal OT 100k+ is easy to do.

dsw163

Forum Ride Along
I just don't get it. Why people in EMS hate the concept of higher education? I've had this discussion about low wages at work many times and when I mentioned "we should all have a degree before going to medic school", someone would say "Why do we need a degree?", "A degree not going to make you a better medic!". And most of these people often complain about our salary. How much do they expect to make working a technician-level job? How are we supposed to gain respect from our peers and public trust?

This is same mentality that give EMS a bad name. Other medical professions see us as "people who can barely finish high school trying to play doctors"

Correct me if I'm wrong. It takes a B.S. or at least an A.S. to become an entry level paramedic in UK, Australia, Germany... and I'm pretty sure it takes post-grad education, ie M.S., to be a critical care medic in OZ.

How do these following statements sound?
"Hi, I'm Joe the EMT! I barely graduated high school with a GED and I went to EMT class for 150 hours! Please let me treat your unresponsive baby."
or
"Hi, I'm Pete the Paramedic! I also got my GED. I'm going to give these meds, which I know very little about, to sedate your wife here and shove this tube down her throat. Trust me, I was trained for 11 months!"

Ok.... I'm done ranting. SOrry

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
I have to correct my earlier post, my AS in EMS might facilitate bfe moving out of state without having to take my NREMT-P

OP
OP
C

crashh

Forum Crew Member
for my first 3 years, i'll be working volunteer as a Paramedic. It's part of my contract w/my company ..and in return they are paying for my classes & books!

I guess I'll find out when I get out there what it's like,...alot of research to do tho!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
for my first 3 years, i'll be working volunteer as a Paramedic. It's part of my contract w/my company ..and in return they are paying for my classes & books!

I guess I'll find out when I get out there what it's like,...alot of research to do tho!

Wait really? My company pays for school and pays you're hourly wage during school, clinical and internship hours with a 5 year contract as a paid paramedic for them after school and options to break the contract with a pro-rated rate for school if you do.

I'm not on that scholarship but it's available to employees.

BigBad

Forum Crew Member
I just don't get it. Why people in EMS hate the concept of higher education? I've had this discussion about low wages at work many times and when I mentioned "we should all have a degree before going to medic school", someone would say "Why do we need a degree?", "A degree not going to make you a better medic!". And most of these people often complain about our salary. How much do they expect to make working a technician-level job? How are we supposed to gain respect from our peers and public trust?

This is same mentality that give EMS a bad name. Other medical professions see us as "people who can barely finish high school trying to play doctors"

Correct me if I'm wrong. It takes a B.S. or at least an A.S. to become an entry level paramedic in UK, Australia, Germany... and I'm pretty sure it takes post-grad education, ie M.S., to be a critical care medic in OZ.

"Hi, I'm Joe the EMT! I barely graduated high school with a GED and I went to EMT class for 150 hours! Please let me treat your unresponsive baby."
or
"Hi, I'm Pete the Paramedic! I also got my GED. I'm going to give these meds, which I know very little about, to sedate your wife here and shove this tube down her throat. Trust me, I was trained for 11 months!"

The only "degree" I've heard about in paramedicine is an associates. I got my associates because I already had a BS in liberal arts prior to going to get my EMT-P. The only difference in a AS and a certificate was a semester of school including math, english, computer class and maybe another elective. All those credits transferred over. I wouldn't consider that "higher" education. But my BS in liberal arts made me more marketable and helped me get my dream job.

That being said, my education is only beginning. I plan to become fluent in Spanish and continue learning emergency medicine daily.

KnightVision

Forum Probie
A friend asked me what an EMT starts at, told her around $13. Her response was shock, couldn't believe the pay compared to the "what" EMS is called to do. Mainly speaking 911 or first on the scene. Seems Joe Public may have a poor perception on average wages as related to expectations of quality care. Not sure if she was troubled or sad as she walked away.

OP
OP
C

crashh

Forum Crew Member
Wait really? My company pays for school and pays you're hourly wage during school, clinical and internship hours with a 5 year contract as a paid paramedic for them after school and options to break the contract with a pro-rated rate for school if you do.

I'm not on that scholarship but it's available to employees.

I work for a volunteer company. we have 3 ALS in our company already (1 paramedic and 2 cc's) but they can always use another, especially one that isn't a captain or officer and is available at different times.

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
I just want to make like 50k a year with good benefits. If I can do that working 2 24hs shifts with a chance of a nap that be great.. At 17 an HR times 48(including OT) 46k a year. Making 46k a year at 21 is perfect.. Making 46k a year at 30 with a family well that's tight. I make 42k a year now working M-F. I hate my job!!

Making 46k a Year doing what I love for the most part.. And only working 2 shifts a week. Is not a bad gigg.. If you want more money change jobs.. I dunno...

i`m moving my family to a different state for a better shot.. As a medic in S. Fl i`d making 25k a year.. Its all fire/ems here.. they make 50k a year and hardly run fire calls. There Just not hiring now.. So what the hell.. throwing my dice and seeing what Boston has to offer =) Maybe one day i`ll work for Boston ems..

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Hockey

Quackers
I make $36 a hour as a road medic in the US, in Michigan. Where do you guys all work? lol

Anjel

Forum Angel
I make $36 a hour as a road medic in the US, in Michigan. Where do you guys all work? lol

Rightttt and I make $20 as a basic.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Why is that so hard to believe?

One hospital here in NYC pays per diem $37.50 an hour.

I make $30 an hour sitting in a flycar of a volunteer firehouse.

$32 an hour roughly top pay FDNY EMS medic.

$23 as an EMT. Top pay

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain

or

Most all of us here are for higher education some want to go way over board but they tend to fall into the young and dumb category. Those of us who are veterans of EMS and think clearly know that except for a few very rare cases the return on investment is lousy. If your in the position to spend a few years in school and come out only to find jobs where your making 13.00 to 15.00 p/hr if you can even find one then get after it.

With ten plus years in the field and six in the ER I can honestly tell you that your statements are a little "goofy" to say the least. Im trying to be kind so dont get me wrong but you are either really young or really green and are spending way to much time dribbling off your reume on scene. The care giver of that baby could give a rats butt about your "higher education" all they want is for you to make things better. Same goes for the patient your geting ready to tube,all the family wants are positive results and a happy ending.

Really the very best way to go is to bypass EMS all together and aim for somthing higher like RN,PA or even MD. You can always work as a medic or basic while your in school. After you have recieved your education and are making a decent living you can go back and be in the position to make positive contributions to pre hospital EMS.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Why is that so hard to believe?

One hospital here in NYC pays per diem $37.50 an hour.

I make $30 an hour sitting in a flycar of a volunteer firehouse.

$32 an hour roughly top pay FDNY EMS medic.

$23 as an EMT. Top pay

Everyone knows there is "gravy" to be found in EMS but your talking about a very small percentage of available jobs.

Someone must have some numbers that show the national average hourly pay for basics and medics (non fire). My guess is 10.00 and 15.00 in that order which is no where near the gravy level