Where on earth could an IFT ambulance be driving that it would need.....

Epi-do

I see dead people
a brush guard on the front of it???????

2011-01-03_08-53-50_260.jpg

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Somewhere with a lot of deer (like central Indiana)?

OP
OP
Epi-do

Epi-do

I see dead people
But it is the only one I have ever noticed around here with one.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
True....

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
Maybe they are trying to be trend setters. The "first to do it" type. I don't know, just guessing.^_^

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
We had an agency retrofit all their ambulances with brush guards. They never hit another deer.

Our agency, however, averages at least one a year. The deer population is out of control in our county.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
We had an agency retrofit all their ambulances with brush guards. They never hit another deer.

Our agency, however, averages at least one a year. The deer population is out of control in our county.

You talk about out of control! We run about three deer hits a quarter. Thank God for rubber and tubular steel. One of out rigs has killed three deer recently, different drivers though. It has one minor dent on the left fender from part of the deer striking it as it was thrown aside. No grille or lighting damage at all. And you cant even tell the brush guard hit anything.

Those darn rodents. I swear, the more important or expensive your vehicle is, the more bent they are on getting in front of it.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Somewhere with a lot of deer (like central Indiana)?

Northern Virginia. The Manassas battlefields are in a heavily populated area, but the fields and woods themselves are entirely undeveloped, leading to a few roads that are practically infested with deer. You would be lucky if you never hit one.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
They would work well on the tumbleweeds around here. I may have to suggest this to the Chief...

hocomedic

Forum Crew Member
It could also be good for keeping birds from flying into the radiator since its got mesh on the front of it. A bird flew into my mine last week, no damage tho because it was one of those birds the size of a golf ball.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Perhaps they bought the ambulance used.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I figured it was to push through all the potential EMS providers who just got their cert standing in front of the ambulance bay waiting for a job?

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I figured it was to push through all the potential EMS providers who just got their cert standing in front of the ambulance bay waiting for a job?

Hah, I can just imagine, Paramedic hops in the truck at the beginning of each shift, pulls the truck out to the street corner and grabs a few decent looking EMTs for the day, whilst the rest head home, looking dejected.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Northern Virginia. The Manassas battlefields are in a heavily populated area, but the fields and woods themselves are entirely undeveloped, leading to a few roads that are practically infested with deer. You would be lucky if you never hit one.

I used to commute about a 60 mile stretch of I66. One fall day I counted 27 dead deer along the way :wacko: .

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Methodist bay! I miss it.

our trucks need the brush guard for the Antelope; and all of our trucks but 1 are 4 wheel drive. we go to a coverage area that has 10 miles of dirt road to get to it, which isn't bad now that it is frozen but no fun when it thaws and it mud.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
The fact your patient transfer service vehicles needs emergency lights is a bit worrying

OP
OP
Epi-do

Epi-do

I see dead people
The fact your patient transfer service vehicles needs emergency lights is a bit worrying

All of our transfer service trucks have emergency lights & sirens. Our system is set up so that if there isn't a 911 ambulance in the area, a private service ambulance may be dispatched. So, even though it doesn't happen very often, they could be dispatched to a 911 call at anytime as well. Also, alot of times the ECFs they have contracts with will call them rather than 911 for emergency runs.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief

I work for a company that does IFT in my county and emergency in a neighboring county. Its also important to note that we put EMTs on these transfer trucks under the assumption that they may need interventional care at some point. If the condition of one of these patients goes south, we flip on the lights and drive code to the nearest appropriate hospital, which we are trained to do (my company mandates EVOC for everyone). That is why we have lights.