Where is the best place you've worked as an EMT-B?

RachZem

Forum Ride Along
Hey there folks,

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out where to work. Of course I want to work for a good company that pays well, treats their employees well and has a good call base.

What I'm having trouble with is where to go. I know I want to be on a coast but California isn't an option. I'm looking into Florida and Washington. Any opinions or suggestions? Also, if you have worked or are currently working for a great company along a coast, why is it great?

Thanks ya'll. Keep it sharp out there.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Los Angeles, CA.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Not that skills should define you, but the state scope for EMTs in Colorado is probably as good or better than anywhere else.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
If I had to stay in CA, Cambria ambulance would be legit. I've heard good things about Oregon.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Alright, a for realz answer...

OP, wherever you can get a job as an EMT, learn the fundamentals of the job, earn a steady paycheck, and get whatever mileage you can out of it all while pursuing other endeavors.

CALEMT

How about this for starters. What state do you live in?

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Los Angeles, CA.
upload_2017-3-30_23-36-13.png

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I'm only half kidding. While everyone else on here (including myself from time to time) poke fun at the archaic fire-based giant that is Los Angeles County, I really learned a lot about being an EMT there.

I also learned alot about who, why, and how I wanted to be as a paramedic. I don't think I would quite be where I am today without it. So yes, it's what you make of it. IFT only company's are no different with learning the fundamentals regardless of where they're located, or who they're run by.

After all, I worked for the infamous "Evil Empire" for half of a decade and still had to deal with issues many smaller "mom' n' pop" fly-by-nights complain about (it's a common problem from the buyouts ask any AMR employee).

How did this help me? Well, going from that to where I am now, and being able to troubleshoot items such as our software, tiny repairs in and around the ambulance, and resolve issues with personnel all seemed to come a bit easier. But again, let's continue to make this county, and specifically it's 383 fly-by-nights, out to be the reason the individual isn't "up to par".

This isn't directed at you, this is meant as a "make it what you want, you're accountable for your own growth, or stagnation" remark for any and every disillusioned EMT buying into other people's spin on things. I made it what I made it, and would have done the same at any company in any county in any state, period.

CALEMT

I live in Northern Colorado right now but would rather be by the ocean

If it were me. I would establish myself as an EMT in Colorado. Get my p-card and move out of state once I'm done. I'm currently doing that, though it's the complete opposite of your case. I'm established as an EMT in SoCal, I'm in medic school, and as soon as I'm done I'm applying out of state (mountains). You'll want a better paying job with better opportunities when you move. Your paramedic can provide that in a better fashion then your EMT.

terrible one

Always wandering
+ 1 to what CALEMT said.

An EMT doesnt vary a whole lot state to state (as far as protocols / pay / etc). Of course there are outliers but the majority of jobs are fairly similar. I'd stay and get your medic (if your planning on staying in EMS for a few years) then figure out where to go.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Best place was a water park....but then again I was 18 and living in a high volume tourist destination. :) :) :)

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
How could one be bored with so much eye candy? :)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Gulf Coast of texas. I know we are looking for EMTs in Galveston.

EMT9396

Forum Probie
I just got hired at the at PRN Ambulance and they seem like a really good company. I start orientation pretty soon!
I have heard they treat their employees really well with employee barbecues taco trucks etc. They also will will work with your schedule and have good benefits.