Where is the best EMS system?

WestMetroMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I kinda wanna go there. Lol I bet I could deal with the snow and cold for that.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

73227c230790281d622fd3f96b29855c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
Medical Protocols exist, but our medical directors firmly believe that if you can reasonably justify what you did, they will support you.

I like that idea. Medical oversight instead of medical control

I am leaving at the end of this month to pursue an opportunity in the Community Paramedic world, but I am very sad to be leaving. I am very proud to have worn brown for the past nine years.

The community paramedic aspect of my job is probably one of the more satisfying things I do. You won't regret it.

WestMetroMedic

Forum Lieutenant
The community paramedic aspect of my job is probably one of the more satisfying things I do. You won't regret it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've been a community paramedic for 4 years now and love it. I actually had the opportunity to drive the pilot program here and also got some really cool projects started including basing in a homeless shelter to cut down 911 use and enhance primary care access. It's been an amazing time.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
It's full system status management style deployment. All posts are physical locations you can go into. Cable, recliners, microwave, and usually an actual garage at most. Most are at fire or police stations.

Central reporting point at the hospital downtown.
So it isn't full system status management style deployment, it's more like system status management station deployment. I don't mind being "posted" as long as we are posted in an actual building with proper amenities, and I understand that move ups will need to happen to ensure proper coverage.

Posting in a street corner, that's a different topic, especially in extreme heat or cold.

WestMetroMedic

Forum Lieutenant
So it isn't full system status management style deployment, it's more like system status management station deployment. I don't mind being "posted" as long as we are posted in an actual building with proper amenities, and I understand that move ups will need to happen to ensure proper coverage.

Posting in a street corner, that's a different topic, especially in extreme heat or cold.
sure *shrug*. SSM and its variations are a lot like Arby's sandwiches. Pretty much the same thing, just a different bun.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
@WestMetroMedic Do you have 4x4 ambulances? Or do you find that snow tires and chains are sufficient?

WestMetroMedic

Forum Lieutenant
That looks evil... How is MN reciprocity? Lol

Easy Cheesy. our EMSRB allows full national reciprocity, no charge for your credential. occasionally Lauren takes a couple days to get back to you, but otherwise it is easy.

@EpiEMS
No 4x4 or chains. We do just fine. He have grain transfer shovel and a coffee can full of salt and sand. Winter is a pain in the rear, but it isnt bad.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
What's the pathway to become a community paramedic? Tuition reimbursement?

I just submitted an application.

Last edited:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I have a basic friend asking how much basic pay is.

WestMetroMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I have a basic friend asking how much basic pay is.

We run dual paramedic units as mandated by Hennepin county ordinance. We employ basics in our communication center and also we use them to staff special events at US Bank Stadium. we don't do and interfacility work, so no BLS units

WestMetroMedic

Forum Lieutenant
What's the pathway to become a community paramedic? Tuition reimbursement?

I just submitted an application.

In Minnesota, Community Paramedic is a recognized and required certification level. There are two programs in Minnesota.

Tuition reimbursement is$3500/year.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Does Hennepin have any special teams? Just curious :) I'm rtempted

MassEMT2012

Forum Ride Along
Im biased but Boston EMS is one of the best in the country, and great pay....starting EMT-Bs at $26/hr from what I've heard. But they are very competitive and hard to get into

OP
OP
D

DPM

Forum Captain
Im biased but Boston EMS is one of the best in the country, and great pay....starting EMT-Bs at $26/hr from what I've heard. But they are very competitive and hard to get into

I'm interested to hear what it is about Boston that you like so much, If you don't mind.