When to discourage transport

bdoss2006

Forum Crew Member
Reaction score
I asked this in a series of questions a few days ago, but I want to get some more insight on this particular topic. When can you suggest a patient not go to the hospital? Of course you can for the stupid stubbed toe calls, but where do you draw the line? With the slightly more serious things I don’t feel comfortable saying don’t go to the hospital. We don’t have protocols for refusal, so I can’t refer to that.

How do you not have protocols for refusals? Are you saying no agency protocols or no state protocols for refusals?

Here in NYS, we have a 2 page statewide protocol that gives guidelines on when to consider medical control, when a CFR can cancel a transporting unit and what an EMT or higher should address before accepting a refusal. My agency (and most other agencies) has additional policies above that based on our medical director.

At this point you have to be trolling us. Please stop.

Follow your protocols. You have protocols.

If you seriously don't have your protocols, please message me and I'd be happy to send you digital copy. We were required to keep a copy with us at all times while working.

Your protocols state who may refuse treatment, what EMS needs to do to educate the patient of possible risks and dangers associated with not accepting medical, and will likely suggest contacting medical control if you're unsure about something. They will also provide specific details on what needs to be documented.

Back