What's your preferred shift?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I dont mind the 12 shift. Comes close to 40 hours, and have four days off. not bad.
I've seen some places go to three 13s. Closer to forty hours and still four days off. Plus you can hit overtime much easier if uou get a late call or two

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
I've seen some places go to three 13s. Closer to forty hours and still four days off. Plus you can hit overtime much easier if uou get a late call or two
Indeed, If I decide to pick up an extra day its pure OT.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I loved the three 13s when I worked in Boston.

JamieN

Forum Ride Along
My dad is a retired Captain from my hometown fire department.

They had three shifts so everyone worked 24 on and 48 off

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I worked 13s for a while in Washington. It was excellent.

I just found out that the service I'm working for now has a full time shift that covers the Kelly day. It's a regular 24 on Wednesday and a 16 on Sunday. That's my ideal shift!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I liked working 3 12s a week..... but my new job offers a 24 on 72 off, which is the shift I want to get. it looks ideal

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I liked working 3 12s a week..... but my new job offers a 24 on 72 off, which is the shift I want to get. it looks ideal
That's what I work. It only ends up being roughly 71 shifts per year- feels like I'm never at work. The last five hours on shift do suck, though [emoji21]