What's your preferred shift?

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
24hrs w/ 3 days off has its perks, but definitely holds back home-life.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
24 on 24 off 48 on 72 off would be nice. Or a Kelly schedule would be just as good.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I actually like 12 hour shifts 3-4 days a week.

It prevents you from getting tired while working so less mistakes are made. Depending on your start and end time you may have time to do something before or after your shift. Plus you get 3-4 days off a week.

OP
OP
teedubbyaw

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
I actually like 12 hour shifts 3-4 days a week.

It prevents you from getting tired while working so less mistakes are made. Depending on your start and end time you may have time to do something before or after your shift. Plus you get 3-4 days off a week.

I'd take 24hrs at a slower system than 12hr shifts at a busy one. 3 12's in a row get old really quickly. By the time you get home, you're ready for bed.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
This was may favorite..
Our schedule was 6a - 6p or 6p - 6a.

4 Nights
4 Off
3 Days
3 Night
4 Off
4 Days
6 Off

I hated the 3 + 3. So tired afterward. But the six day vacation every month was sweet!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I'd take 24hrs at a slower system than 12hr shifts at a busy one. 3 12's in a row get old really quickly. By the time you get home, you're ready for bed.
I did 24s during internship (Monday's, Wednesdays, and every other Saturday). Personally I hated it. We were a fairly busy station with ~10 calls per shift and bed delay each time of at least an hour.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Currently do 24s. X/O/X/O/X/O/O/O/O

Having four days off in a row is awesome. The two days off in between shifts suck though, basically useless.

Our call volume could easily allow 48/96 and I'd kill for that.

OP
OP
teedubbyaw

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
I did 24s during internship (Monday's, Wednesdays, and every other Saturday). Personally I hated it. We were a fairly busy station with ~10 calls per shift and bed delay each time of at least an hour.

You needed more downtime between shifts :) Having 20 or so days off out of the month is nice, but you gotta have at least 3 full days between shifts.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Chimpie's schedule looks pretty sweet. Although with my scheduling skillz definitly show up on some of my days off by accident.

When I was working 4 12s I liked the 5a-5p m-th shift best. Financially, I don't like doing only 3 12s. I like 24s but never worked them regularly so can't comment on that.

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
I'm on the same shift schedule as Tiggers Kelly X/O/X/O/X/O/O/O/O, working 24s in a fairly high volume system (anywhere between 12-22 calls a shift) and I love having the 4 days off, but as he says, the days off mid tour are mostly useless. Any ot I pick up by nature has to be on my 4 day unfortunately.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
When I worked IFT, I loved working back half nights (every other Wednesday, always Thursday to Saturday). 5 pm to 5 am was probably my favorite time. In IFT, that's the time where we'd get less calls and usually more interesting. If you worked day, you would get more calls and usually very routine like radiation or MRI calls. The road is always jammed up with cars giving me a headache try to respond to calls, transport, or move post. I feel like exlcuding Sunday, front half is usually busier. I think the big thing about the time I like to work is nobody wants to sleep during the day or give up their weekends, but I don't go out and just like being a night guy. There is like a culture to working at night or being awake at night on your days off.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Our 24s were set up as two 8s and a 24. I worked Tuesday 8hr shift, Thursday 8hr shift, and a 24 on Saturday. I had so much hate for that schedule.

My favorite was 1400-0200 12hr 3/4 split. On Monday/ Tuesday. Off Wednesday. On Thursday. On every other Friday. No traffic each direction. Call volume slowed down on the back half. Always off on time and felt like I was never at work.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
My current schedule is two 24's on Thursdays and Sundays. Hate it. Old schedule was 24 then two 12's in a row, then 4 days off. Liked that better.

When I clear I'm not sure what I'm gonna shoot for. Like the two 12's but it would be nice to take one day off and pretty much have a week off to travel home if I'm on two 24's

OP
OP
teedubbyaw

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
My current schedule is two 24's on Thursdays and Sundays. Hate it. Old schedule was 24 then two 12's in a row, then 4 days off. Liked that better.

When I clear I'm not sure what I'm gonna shoot for. Like the two 12's but it would be nice to take one day off and pretty much have a week off to travel home if I'm on two 24's

24's in Austin...not so fun unless you're in rescue. :p

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I work 24 on, 72 off. Can't complain much since I only work 7-8 days per month, if that. 24s with little to no sleep can be rough at times, though...

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
We work 4 x 10, which isn't too bad. My last job we did the alternating 3-4 12 hour schedule. I liked that a lot, 4 days off every other week is nice. 24s are the spawn of satan.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
4 10s is not bad for people who want to remain semi-human.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Sad truth. It's also a fast track to burn out.

Well, I mean, it's better in that sense than 24s or overnights or what have you. If you can do 8 you can do 10 without much more sweat, and it gives you the extra day off. After that chasing fewer days gets exponentially uglier...