whats your motivation?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Daedalus! HA!!!!!!!

INitially I was motivated to get my EMT-A because the USAF didn't get me my EMT-P as the recruiter had promised; I wanted to get into EMS because I'd been good and enjoyed being a mountain lifeguard/dockhand and had lost my factoy job.
I worked as one because my wife needed to go to school and my Airman First Class and then Senior Airman pay didn't cut it, and then later because we needed the money after I left the active USAF and went to school.
It was rewrading becuase I got to do something for good that not everyone else around me could.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I really don't know. It's just a calling.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
The only reason I show up to work: the pay check. :lol:

gicts

Forum Lieutenant
At first I was in the middle of college with no real direction and just couldn't get a job. The EMT class schedule fit in between my classes and I figured perhaps I could work part time, and if not it may benefit me after I graduate getting a job somewhere. (I was looking at the FBI at the time. I guess I could have been a paper pusher by day and super medical hero on my lunch break :p)

Low and behold 2 years later I am two weeks from graduation and the only place I applied for is the city EMS service.

I really disliked college and at the moment wish I would have just not gone. Of course on the other hand had I not gone I guess I would have always wished I had :rolleyes:

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I wanted to be a cop. Couldn't. So I found a different way to help people. This was it.

WOW...thats NOT a good reason!!! I would think you should get into another carrer if this is the case!!! That can put ALOT of ppl in danger!
***Just my thought***

The level of sarcasm in his post was pretty obvious.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
whats your motivation to be an emt ? whats getting you by this semester ?

Are you some sort of method actor? Why don't we do some sense memory and find out why?

firecoins

IFT Puppet

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
I wanted to be a cop. Couldn't. So I found a different way to help people. This was it.

The level of sarcasm in his post was pretty obvious.

I wanted to be a cop too. I took EMT class to get a promotion at my job and found ems to be much more interesting, to me.

Still think being a cop would be rewarding though. there are one or two agencies around that you can tri-certify as LEO FF PM. the only thing holding me back from applying there is in that county fire does not transport.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Ha! I was a body needed to fill a slot in order to get a grant. Thought I'd do it to help the FD out and maybe be of some use on fire scenes. Had no intention whatsover of working EMS. Well, as class went along, I got suckered in deeper and deeper. The last week of class, the coordinator from the local ambulance service (my current one, can you tell where this is going?) came out and gave us his sales pitch. I signed up to keep my skills up untill the fire district could pry it's EMS liscence out of the hands of the WA DOH, at which point I would quit the amb. Needless to say, I got hooked and here I am, still with the ambulance service even though my district has had the liscence for a while now. Now I am addicted..........

What motivates me day by day? My own experiences at the receiving end of EMS. The crew, some of my partners have turned into the best friends I have ever had (When you and your partner are both insied a rollover and both get soaked in the same patients puke, it tends to bring you closer together). Of course the required "I enjoy helping people" (and I do!). I can't deny that there is more than a little bit of local pride. And I should, but I won't deny that EMS has turned me into an adreneline junkie..........

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
Gosh. I have no clue how many times I've asked myself why I chose this path. Sometimes it occurs at the strangest times- while eating supper, driving, trying to sleep, or just doing something as simple as laundry. It comes to surface constantly, and the answers are a deluge- I have millions of reasons why I do this everyday. But for me it is a calling from above. Please excuse my religious views if they are offensive, but I believe that God chooses a few select people to do this and I was lucky enough to be one of those people He chose. It takes someone with a heart and willing to do what's right. It takes motivation to get up at 1 A.M. and meet the ALS rig on the other side of town, but you do it because you know it could be someone's life that is on the verge of nonexistence. It takes someone who is willing to look after their fellow responders like members of the family, but that's what we are. It takes a lot. And some people have it. Some don't. That's how it is. Life goes on.

Manic_Wombat

Forum Crew Member
Many reasons, I like helping people. I could never work an all day desk job like my parents, and its something not many people choose to do. I like going against the grain.

Kevin1990

Forum Probie
learning new skills, helping people in need. I like this job bc its really fast paced at time, and you gotta be able to solve a puzzle in under 2 seconds to make a right choice

mcdonl

Forum Captain
3 Reasons

1 - I always volunteer. Until this past fall it has always been as a coach/mentor, but now that both of my daughters are teens I am done with that. Last thing I want is to deal with large groups of teen girls.

2 - I like action/excitement. And, even though I live in a small town sometimes it gets exciting (Like 2 Structure fires and 5 rescue calls in one 36 hour period....)

3 - I am new to my community (10 years....) and everyone I know is through my kids and coaching, so even though I *know* a lot of people I am not their friend and I do not belong anywhere. Since joining the FD I have made friends in a short time, and I feel like I belong.

I also work a full time career in Health care Administration/IT.

FR Wrath

Forum Probie
lights and sirens driving really fast!

Be very VERY careful when running hot. Lights and sirens really can be dangerous. Point: I was in a wreck in my ambulance a few weeks ago. We were going through an intersection w/lights & sirens going. I followed everything to procedure, but out of nowhere a 4 door mini-truck storms past all traffic and t-bones us, flipping us over.

Everyone was OK. But the point is that not everyone sees, or even cares that you have your lights on. Now with the fees I have to pay, the remediation, and possible lawsuits, just be careful. Don't get gun-ho. Remember, it's not your emergency, so don't turn it into one.

atlasD

Forum Probie
I forgot in my original reply that another reason is shows like Trauma.

Not that ya know, I want to risk my own life and limb or have sex in the back of an ambulance. The show is completely fake. But instead of watching the show and only having a general sense of what is wrong with it, I can pinpoint exactly what is rediculous and laugh away. Thats better than playing hero anyday.

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
The big dollars.

Also, I want to get paid to sleep.

And, of course, driving fast in the truck that goes "wee-yoo-wee-yoo".

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
My motivation: the Cliche "i want to help people"

ive wanted a job where i can help people, is action packed(even though there are slow times), and is not an office job.
that im a Night owl, and i love staying up all night

I refuse to ever work in an office ever agian. Itll be the death of me :)

Honestly i would love to work in ANY of the Emergency branches (PD,Fire,EMS)

And also like jeffguy said, i want to drive fast "in the truck that goes wee-yoo-wee-yoo" :)

Last edited by a moderator:

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Honestly i would love to work in ANY of the Emergency branches (PD,Fire,EMS)

I would love to be a cop, but I know all of my reports would end with the phrase "...and that's when I shot/beat/pepper sprayed/tazed/kicked/sic'ed the dog on the suspect" :lol:

AnthonyTheEmt

Forum Lieutenant
Number one reason was (and is) to become a firefighter. Once I started the EMT, I had a blast learning about the body, why things work the way they do. Then working as an EMT, despite all the bs calls, getting the real emergency calls and really have to put your mind to work is so much fun. The job of helping people, saving lives, and making a difference like that is one of the best feelings ever. And it sure beats sitting behind a desk or bringing someone their drinks and dinner, or ringing up someone's groceries (not bashing on those jobs, Ive done them). But I just couldnt handle the same routine, and as someone already mentioned, you will never get the same call twice. You're always learning and getting better.

Two-Speed

Forum Crew Member
I always liked the whole creating calm of chaos and watching people improve (well, unless they're circling the drain and probably not coming back) as you treat them.

And, ofcourse the totally awesome feeling I got when the tones went off and we went to go help someone with the lights and sirens goin.

(After the first 2 or 3 runs that feeling slowly died out because I realized that there was a good chance that hot Code 4 run would be something like a person who's hurt their toe and wanted to see the doc before everyone else or a woman who coughed up some black phlegm from smoking too much and thought it was blood)