What was your first 911 call?

Traumaholic

Forum Ride Along
Just a little curious for what everyone’s first call was.

I recently just got hired by a company that’s owned by AMR in SoCal And I’m on my 5th field training shift and I’ve had 2 911 calls so far. Also my company is all BLS we don’t have any medics hired. When we get a 911 we work with fire and medics hop on our rig.

My first call was syncopal episode for a guy in the shower, wasn’t too crazy. C-Collar and flatted to gurney, code 2 all the way.

My second call I had yesterday is what I consider my first REAL 911 and man I feel like I was ****ing everything up. It was a Difficulty breathing/ sob. Fire was first on scene and we were code 3 from our post and too hospital. they had her on their monitor already but this lady was in really bad condition with a 77% spO2. When we get her in the rig she’s panicking and we’re not able to get a BP for her on their monitor. The medics had me start a 12 lead and I know anatomically where they go and each intercostal space, but I just ****ed the whole thing as I’ve never really done it for real so the medic had to help me. Mind you she was on cpap with abuterol and man I thought this lady was going to code. Since the BP wasn’t working bc she was a little panicked they asked me to palpate a BP and tbh I’ve never done it that way, but know how due to my emt school but I could not find her radial pulse. I’ve always done it with stethoscope. When we get to hospital she’s in a little better condition because it seemed like the albuterol helped a lot, but I just feel like I added to the **** show.The medics after were pretty cool since it was my first real 911 call and it really makes me wanna learn more and make sure I know my ****. It was a good experience and I’m glad I was with my FTO and not by myself lol.

Curious how it went for all of you.

Fezman92

IFT Hero
All of the ones I've had were BS calls.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
All of the ones I've had were BS calls.
If I were you, I’d be more concerned with a growing bitterness from “not getting good calls”. JS, frustrated? Sure, but it’s an easy rabbit hole to fall into.

Fezman92

IFT Hero
I’ll keep that in mind. It’s just that I really want to use what I learned in school.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I’ll keep that in mind. It’s just that I really want to use what I learned in school.
to be totally honest, while the BS calls are frequently what I deal with, it's the "good" calls that I'd much rather forget. unhelmeted kid on a bike who went headfirst into a tree (had that one my first year), quite a few ped struck patients, the DOA that we worked because she was in a warm apartment when we were dispatched to a BS fall, the guy who had a massive MI, and collapsed on his colonoscopy bag, or any GI bleed.... I'll take a BS psych call any day now.

Fezman92

IFT Hero
I’m not looking forward to those horror calls or anything, I just want to well, treat. It was hard to do anything when there was nothing to do except for getting AMAs or taking vitals on someone who was just a drug seeker.

I did have two psych calls which I admit are kind of cool (used to be a psych major in college before I dropped out. I know just enough to know that I know that I’m not qualified to do anything), but even those my FTO did everything for. They’re sending me to do more transport so unless I get a job at another 911 place or into the local volly squad (we’ve been playing email tag for the past month or so) I won’t get anymore 911 for a while. Is it bad that I’m looking forward to narcaning someone? Pharmacology is so fascinating. In college I took a psychopharmacology class thinking it might help me in EMS. Turns out it most likely won’t help me. Still absolutely fascinating stuff. A&P in general is very fascinating. For example MS. Absolutely fascinating that the body attacks itself. Or transplants, even though the organ is a match the body still attacks it. Or anything neurological. Just so interesting

Last edited:

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
I’m not looking forward to those horror calls or anything, I just want to well, treat. It was hard to do anything when there was nothing to do except for getting AMAs or taking vitals on someone who was just a drug seeker.

I did have two psych calls which I admit are kind of cool (used to be a psych major in college before I dropped out. I know just enough to know that I know that I’m not qualified to do anything), but even those my FTO did everything for. They’re sending me to do more transport so unless I get a job at another 911 place or into the local volly squad (we’ve been playing email tag for the past month or so) I won’t get anymore 911 for a while. Is it bad that I’m looking forward to narcaning someone? Pharmacology is so fascinating. In college I took a psychopharmacology class thinking it might help me in EMS. Turns out it most likely won’t help me. Still absolutely fascinating stuff. A&P in general is very fascinating. For example MS. Absolutely fascinating that the body attacks itself. Or transplants, even though the organ is a match the body still attacks it. Or anything neurological. Just so interesting
from my experience, 70-80% of my calls are vitals, transport and that’s it. Narcan gets boring very fast and the post vomiting that’s always happens ( at least for me) is not fun.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Before I became an EMT when I did a ride along, I honestly couldn't tell ya. My first call as an EMT, dialysis transfer.

Fezman92

IFT Hero