What was the first EMT job you had?

patzyboi

Forum Lieutenant
Where, and what type of work did you do?

Epi-do

I see dead people
I was an "EMS only" for a volunteer FD. Basically, I wanted to volunteer but didn't want to go to fire school.

My first paid job was as the health officer for a summer camp.

Since then I have worked for private service IFT, 3rd party 911, hospital based 911, and FD based 911.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
First aid at a family Christmas tree farm/pumpkin patch (before my EMT class).

After my EMT class was an event medical company. Then my primary job at a 911 service and also EMT skills instructor at college.

med51fl

Forum Lieutenant
My first was as an EMT for a small town 911 Ambulance service. A good service and great people. Ah, good times.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Fire department.

Joe

Forum Captain
Amr 911. Spent a year there and jumped ship. Now still 911 but loving it

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Awards from fire explorer program and EMT class. Personnel references from high up/well known people. Bugging the heck out of HR for about 2 months.

Epi-do

I see dead people
I was a volunteer that was around quite a bit, and knew several of the emts that worked for the paid 911 service I applied to. They put in a good word for me and a couple of them wrote letters of recommendation for me.

Rettsani

Forum Captain
My first Paid Job was for a private Ambulance Service for two month and then I changed to a Rescue Station of the St. John Ambulance Service.

In retrospect, the change was a stupid idea.... such a contract as there I got Never again. :huh:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Simultaneously, an active duty enlisted USAF fire dept crash rescueman, and a private mostly-IFT company (1977).

First emergency medical role was first aider/dockhand (not EMT) at a resort lake, even local vollie FD didn't have training above ours and real medical help was about 45 min away. (1972)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Sports medicine intern for a division 1 hockey team. EMT is a requirement for the position, but I do not act as one very often. I do whatever my ATC boss wants me to, to include taping, wrapping, splinting, stretching, wound care, and some basic gen-med stuff. I'm slowly becoming proficient in more in depth assessments as well.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I volunteered at the local rescue squad, and my first paid job was at a private IFT place. I continued volunteering, and got a 911 a couple of years later when I was done with school.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
911 for a private company that I'm still with.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
How'd you guys get 911 on the first try?

Because I trolled this site and learned a ton and became the bestest EMT in the East

Started as a volunteer
First and only paid EMS gig is the current one for the PD, but i was already a LEO there and was put "in charge" of the EMS division they formed when they volleys dried up