What shape should EMTs/Medics Be In

Sasha

Forum Chief
Ew. It looks like he has packs of kielbasa for legs. Gross.

Patrick.W.Steele

Forum Ride Along
I would think that if you had a gut that would interfere with getting the cot inside of the ambulance, you might have a problem...

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Personally, I think there should be. Some of my squad members complain all the time about trying to pick up Mr or Mrs X because they weigh too damned much. My personal feelings on the job are, 'if you can't lift Mr or Mrs X off the floor when they've fallen and can't get up on their own, maybe you need to find another job.' I've told some of our members that and believe me, I've won no friends in the process. I think the tests should be for initial hire AND for retention, with age included. Honestly, I don't think we can expect a 60 year old to be able to lift what a 20 year old can. Although, ironically, we do have a 60 year old man that volunteers with us that, I swear, can lift about as much as some of the 20 year olds.

While, in theory, I agree with you. Tell that to all the hospitals and Fire / EMS departments that are NOT hiring and / or firing smokers. Personally, I think that's discrimination.

Apparently you've never heard of the Heart and Lung Bill.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
4055.gif

Anything less than that, you have no business in EMS.:p

I think that picture's doctored. He actually has testes, and he's too large to not have the distended GH gut.:lol:

Keeven83

Forum Probie
i had a partner that would complain and get out of breath walking down the long halls of the hospital doing BLS transfers.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Do I really have to post this again?

signadmin1.gif

atropine

Forum Captain
<snip - to remove text of the removed post>

I can assure you I will last that long, but no longer than I have to I want to enjoy my PERS retirement, 90% of my base wage and again I don't live from pay check to pay check like most medics, unfortunate that all ems can't be standard of high wages isn't it?:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
90% of my base wage

That's not going to be very much by California standards especially since you are now doing 100% of your base wage and tons of OT jsut to exist. In fact, that will be less than half of what you are making now IF you get the time vested. Unless you go back to college to retrain, there won't be much opportunitiy for you to pick up extra money once the FD is finished with you.

Since this is a fitness thread, have you looked carefully at your disability benefits? You might be surprised to find that by California's cost of living standards you will be at poverty level. This is the reason why a little college or even learning a trade might be beneficial to you. You don't want to end up being the bag lady at the grocery checkout counter.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
One can take their pension, based on an inflated salary that's in line with the local cost of living, and move to an area that's much nicer and cheaper. It's all about the best retirement. Even if you never buy a house, your pension will more than cover mortgage payments in a more reasonable area.

Since most places offer a 20 and out or 25 and out, you can retire at 40-50 y.o. Use your dept to get a couple of degrees so that you can keep earning, whether it's PT or FT. Or, just go back to school post retirement and bang out a quick degree (hint: chip away at pre-requisites while on the job, so that you won't have to go to school for more than a year or so).

"Health related disclaimer": high levels of stress lead to a myriad of diseases. Having a good retirement and not having financial stress is good for your health.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Since most places offer a 20 and out or 25 and out, you can retire at 40-50 y.o. Use your dept to get a couple of degrees so that you can keep earning, whether it's PT or FT. Or, just go back to school post retirement and bang out a quick degree (hint: chip away at pre-requisites while on the job, so that you won't have to go to school for more than a year or so).

Agreed, but some never think that far ahead or think they will have the young body they have at 24 forever. Many are not educationally inclined so a degree may never be a thought. For some, the EMT or Paramedic patch is a stretch which is why some standards are low or the answers to the test are spoon fed with just enough info memorized to pass.

Also, the off duty injuries which sometimes leads to an early disabling injury is more likely for this age group than one that is work related.

Ramis46

Forum Crew Member
OK I kinda want to bring this Thread Back to life, Lets see how it works instead of making a new one.
Just kinda skimming through this thread, how many people are still in a strong workout routine. I know how had it is to stay consistant with healthy living due to our work schedules, and call time. Where i am from its hard to find a medic under 250 (not a lean 250 btw) not THE TONES GO OFF.
I currently do P90X (2nd round) mixed with the Insanity workout. I still have a ways to go to get to my best weight and healthy living but hey trying. So please feel free to post back in you had posted before if you are still working out regularly, and/or you have found a good way to balance the 2.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
too many EMS workers are out of shape (myself included).

you see them as the EMTs or paramedics who need the FD to do any and all lifting for them.

the ones who get winded after climbing 3 flights of stairs to see the patient

the ones who smoke and drink too much, and haven't seen their toes in 5 years.

the ones who are on more meds for health problems than their patients.

causes for this: abnormal shifts, lack of enough sleep, compensating for abnormal schedule by sleeping on couches or in the back of ambulances, poor dietary habits (fast food is typically the worst food to eat), lack of proper exercise routine, working too much overtime to make ends meet and multiple jobs preventing enough sleep and exercise.

What shape should an EMT be in? enough to carry down a 300 lb person with just you and a partner. enough to climb 5 floors without getting winded. generally less than 250lbs (although some of us tall people are over 250lb due to our height). able to restrain a 250 lb EDP who decides to go nuts on you in the back of the truck (or at least enough to get you to safety).

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-12-unhealthy-occupational-hazard.html for more information about the effect of unhealthy eating among shiftwork workers