What made you get into EMS?

hfenrick

Forum Ride Along
Hey,

I'm new. To the forum and EMS in general. I was just wondering what some people's stories were about why they got into EMS, and some of the things you guys do to stay motivated.

I've heard that many emts and paramedics last somewhere between 5-7 years in the field. And I'd rather make a career of this, than just something I do to pay the bills for a season.

Any input is appreciated

EMT John

Forum Crew Member
The 5-7 year comment I think applies to EMT's advancing their traing to RN, PA, Ect. Or an injury has displaced them. IME I haven't had many problems with people not enjoying their job. The problem ones for me are the 15-20+ year guys that are burned out. I think theyre burned out because if you work for a private ambulance there really isn't room for advancement and they arnt happy about it. or wanted to become something or go somewhere and didn't.

Some people become EMT's to become Firefighters and just don't care about the EMT side. Personally I think of you want to make it you need to care about both. I became an EMT because I love the outdoors and hate being stuck in an office. I like the fact that not one day will be the same. I love the shifts. 48/96, 24's, 12,s. it's all nice for me. And finally I just like helping people that are legitimately in need of help.

smokeater

Forum Crew Member
Hey,

I'm new. To the forum and EMS in general. I was just wondering what some people's stories were about why they got into EMS, and some of the things you guys do to stay motivated.

I've heard that many emts and paramedics last somewhere between 5-7 years in the field. And I'd rather make a career of this, than just something I do to pay the bills for a season.

Any input is appreciated

Im one of those guys EMTJohn was talking about...just kidding, but I did get my EMTB while in fire school. It wasnt that I didnt care about it or wasnt interested, I just knew nothng about it In the beginnig. I have actually found patient care to be quite rewarding and very interesting. Thats why I have choosen to persue my paramedic licensing. Not sure about private service, but alot in fire field get burnt out after a few years. Maybe thats what your hearing. EMTJohn is right on though...never a same day and great hours...24 on 48 off here. I think those who burn out prob have other issues or just dont love the job. However, thats not to say they could just be mentaly taxed. Some run areas have different dynamics in play that define the type and number of calls, which I can see how after time could be tough without a good long vaca.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Little brother and dad have epilepsy. The second time my dad a seizure and we called 911, I started thinking about just learning some stuff. At the time, my family was mad I wasn't going to school, software engineering/computer science wasn't working out for me (I still love it though), and my grandparents were trying to get me to be an ECG tech. When they showed me a brochure for ECG, I saw EMT, read the description, it had the prereq of First Reaponder, and I just decided to take First Responder (I didn't want to be an ECG tech at the time, which is funny now cause ECGs/12 leads is my favorite paramedic skill). I hated the class and thought it was lamest thing until I read a ECG for nursing book (I think Saunders? I gave the book away) and tried memorizing some basic anatomy (more than a First Responder) and some basic medical terminology online (there was a website that would teach and quiz you on it, I need to look it up again). I decided to go onto EMT and I kinda liked it as much as First Responder (not that much, lol), but I started posting here then and everybody got me pumped up.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I was always the best at First Aid when I was in Boy Scouts so I guess it likely started there. I also at one point wanted to volunteer for my town's ambulance which got me to EMT and the rest is history, though I have never once set foot on the local ambulance since they don't like people that aren't around all year.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Was forced to by a FD I was with at the time.

Seemed to have a special talent for medicine and since then it has been all consuming as I move forward a step at a time.

danburyfirerescue

Forum Probie
Growing up most of the females in my family were in the medical field ( most being CNA and RN's) and they all wanted me to follow in their foot steeps. Needless to say that never happened... Right out of High School I got my start as a deputy in the state of FL and after a few years of that I moved to NC to help with my family that lives here and tried to get on as a cop in NC but found out that NC dont take out of state certs ( that pissed me off ..lol). So for the longest time i work what ever jobs I could find till I got my start in as Volunteer Fire Fighter ( i fell in-love with firefighting). I've been a firefighter now for 4 years and that whole time medical wise I only had my Medical First Responder cert. Well due to where I am wanting to go with this I thought I needed to step it up a notch so now I am awaiting to take my state exam so that I can be a EMT-basic... however i have no idea if i'll take it further than basic at this tme.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Originally, I was dock hand/first aider as vacation lake at 19 y/o. Six years later I found myself unemployed during a "stagflation" (stagnant economy with inflation) and asked myself what my best job had been, and how to get back to it. Went USAF as firefighter, got own EMT-A (nowadays,. EMT-B).

SO, in short, I needed a job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Temporary insanity.

Milla3P

Forum Lieutenant
A friend of mine who worked for a FD said it was like "hitting the jackpot".

I enjoy getting paid to sleep and have a good appreciation for humor in everyday situations. Fixing acute emergent situations is pretty rewarding, too, no matter how rare they are.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Milla

(haha, when I got into EMS with my FD, it meant a lot LESSS sleep. Plus I worked a civilian ambulance job on my every-other-day off).

OP
OP
H

hfenrick

Forum Ride Along
guess I shoulda thrown mine up, but here it is.

joined the VFD in my little rural town, and the first two calls were, in order: 25 y/o f c/o "baby's a comin'!!!" and the next was a MVA. One of the victims happened to be the son of a neighbor two doors down. At the time I didn't have anything but first aid and the feeling of being useless til the medics showed up really sucked. Our town is about a half hour away from any EMS besides the EMRs on our hall. Then I did the EMR course and had a blast, so I figured "heck if I can get paid for this.....BONUS!"

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imI8baMrfGo[/YOUTUBE]

Not quite EMS related but this thread reminded me of this! :p

Last edited by a moderator:

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
Desperation.

I took the EMT course because I needed something to do while unemployed. Then I found a "real job." Real job laid me off and I got an EMT job the next week.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Medicine always interested me, but I didn't want to work indoors. I slao wasn't interested in going to school for 4-6 years or more, either. Two of my cousins were ex-FDNY medics who left to work as 911 medics for a local hospital. I applied for and got hired by that hospital. The job paid EMT's $22/hr after a year, and $30/hr for medics, so medics made almost as much as nurses for much less time spent in school. I really liked working in the NYC 911 system, but the pay and benefits were less than I would be satisfied with for the long term, especially given the cost of living in NY.

Ten years in the field, the motivation is money, benefits, working conditions, and the retirement. It's all about the best retirement. I had to go to the fire side to achieve this, though. I looked around, but non fire EMS departments weren't offering anything even remotely close to the deal that we have here.

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
When I was unemployed, and looking for volunteer work to keep myself busy, I spoke to my local fire-chief and told him I'd like to join because I am a veterinary technician, and that I realize that pets are affected by house fires too. He said they don't get much call for animals, but he did say that they did have a need for more women on the rescue side. So I joined up, volunteered with them even after I had gotten a full-time job. Two years later I go to school for EMT.

I didn't set out to become an EMT, but I wasn't going to say no to an opportunity. With my background as a vet tech, I found the EMT course to be fairly easy. And certainly wouldn't hurt my eventual career goal of being an emergency vet. tech.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
girls looooove to sleep with guys in uniform. usually it's a police, fire or military uniform, but after they are all taken, they go home with the EMT......:rofl:

Actually, I never ever wanted to work in EMS. I was very content to be a volunteer, working a corporate job in IT 9am to 5pm. Graduated college, was working for a medical school's IT department, but found myself very bored. answered an ad on career builder doing EMS for $12 an hour every friday night in a :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty city, on a lark. found I actually enjoyed the experience.

One thing led to another, the economy tanked even further, IT positions were eliminated left and right, IT contracted were treated like crap and viewed as expendable by management, and I took a semi-lateral transfer from hospital IT dept to hospital EMS. Accepted a FT job in EMS, 4 years later, accepted a full time job in EMS (communications division) at my original university that I was working IT in. been there ever since (and now planning my exit form EMS back into a corporate job)

NREMTroe

Forum Crew Member
I got into it because I didn't have anything else to do. I didn't know anything about the job, and I thought it would just be something to get by at the time. I fell in love with it during EMT school, and now I'm about to be a paramedic, and have loved all of it.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
My dad was a flight medic and an owner/manager of the local ambulance service when I was growing up. I went to school for nursing but after 2 and a half years I switched to EMS. I did well in nursing but felt out of place if that makes any sense. I have been a Paramedic for 5 years and Love It.