What kind of underwear is best for EMS?

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
For me, I wear the underwear you can buy at Wal-mart. Like the usual Hanes or Fruit of the Looms hipsters or bikinis simply because they cover enough. When I was in an LPN program, I heard enough horror stories of young nursing students accidentally flashing thongs and being forced to go and change. I've even heard of a doctor firing an RN. I imagine it would be 60 times worse as an EMT on a fire department since I am the only girl under 35 on the department.

Is it common for MDs to have the ability to fire RNs?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Is it common for MDs to have the ability to fire RNs?

Depends on the situation. Does the MD own the hospital or company? Is it an RN working for a private practice? In the sense of the emergency department where the hospital hires the support and nursing staff, but contracts to a practice group to provide physician coverage, then no. If it's a doctor's office and the physician group has hired a few RNs to help out with things, then definitely.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
For me, I wear the underwear you can buy at Wal-mart. Like the usual Hanes or Fruit of the Looms hipsters or bikinis simply because they cover enough. When I was in an LPN program, I heard enough horror stories of young nursing students accidentally flashing thongs and being forced to go and change. I've even heard of a doctor firing an RN. I imagine it would be 60 times worse as an EMT on a fire department since I am the only girl under 35 on the department.
I've heard the same thing; nursing student in white scrubs and a black thong.... didn't go over well.

also remember, you are a nursing STUDENT, so if you want to graduate, you need to play by their rules. sucks, but students often get pushed around, with the option being "if you don't like the rules, you can always leave."

I don't think anyone can be fired for wearing a thong, unless there is a reason not to wear one, as well as a written policy banning them. plus, i think if you are fired due to your choice of underwear, a lawsuit for sexual harassment should follow. But that is someone decides to push the issue

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
Jockey has some really comfy, no seams and they come in all different types. I found them at Peebles. I have always been on the lookout for the most comfy bra (not jockey) and undies. I have finally found both. Next question???

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
For me, I wear the underwear you can buy at Wal-mart. Like the usual Hanes or Fruit of the Looms hipsters or bikinis simply because they cover enough.

Agreed! I love hipsters and bikinis, but thongs are just a little too itty-bitty.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
<Moderator snip>

I've never put much thought into it other than making sure they're loose enough that I don't sweat to death and fitted enough that I don't end up with bunching at some inconvenient time. So boxer briefs by default.

Or, depending on the day, whatever just came out of the wash/whatever I woke up in.

Last edited by a moderator:

MediMike

Forum Lieutenant
Not gonna lie, pretty excited this thread was started. I've got a question for all of you commando goers (well the fellas at least). I switched to boxer briefs due to a large amount of...movement? during CPR. Very disconcerting feeling. Do ya'll never experience that? Or is this some sort of personal problem...

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Not gonna lie, pretty excited this thread was started. I've got a question for all of you commando goers (well the fellas at least). I switched to boxer briefs due to a large amount of...movement? during CPR. Very disconcerting feeling. Do ya'll never experience that? Or is this some sort of personal problem...

No, I get that too. I don't really mind it all that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
let 'em swing brother, let them swing.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
I personally am still trying to find Nomex boxers to wear when I fly. LOL
At least someone here is thinking rationally!

I LOVE the Army version of the Under Armour compression boxer-briefs. Very cool and comfy in the desert, and in-stock at every BX. But I had to keep some old school cotton boxers on hand for flights and convoys. Under Armour burns like JP-4. Not cool (no pun intended).

JPINFV

Gadfly
I like the day of the week briefs. It helps to remind me which SMTWTFS to circle...

sirengirl

Forum Lieutenant
Jockey has some really comfy, no seams and they come in all different types. I found them at Peebles. I have always been on the lookout for the most comfy bra (not jockey) and undies. I have finally found both. Next question???

I personally am a cotton wearer,"bikini" and "shorts" styles. I have yet to grab a thong or anything from my "good" drawer before heading out, partially because my pants are crap and don't fit right and are the reason several holes are developing on aforementioned cotton pairs. As far as bras, I have 3 that I wear throughout my daily life and I use those, as since I'm more of an IBTC member I really don't have to worry about hooters gettin' in my way.

Random related side jack- socks?? I am a fan of the 8" boots and I have 3 pairs of cotton socks that I cycle through, but I'm in the market for better socks since these ones don't wick or breathe well in my current boots. I'm looking into getting a pair of Haix here soon and I can't find much on the interwebs for "womens boot socks" without them being thigh-high, which is way overkill. I don't really want to shell out $12 for the pairs that Haix sells, so... suggestions on tall socks?

I should probably add that I love ridiculous patterns. My current socks are argyle. It's kind of like wearing sexy underwear- only you know and it makes you giggle.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
I should probably add that I love ridiculous patterns. My current socks are argyle. It's kind of like wearing sexy underwear- only you know and it makes you giggle.

Interesting... for my day job, I wear suits and I have all kinds of crazy socks - argyles, stripes, bright pink, etc. But for EMS the uniform states they have to be black. Will anyone check? Doubtful, but if my pants ride up and they see them, there will be no end of harassment.

I have 2 pairs of 5.11 9" Over-the-Calf Socks (you get a free pair with every boot purchase), which are very good. However, to supplement those I have plain old black Nike socks that just come over the top of the boots.

I am definitely all for girls in fancy socks (slightly NSFW) but I don't know of any socks like that made to breathe/go with work boots...

sirengirl

Forum Lieutenant
Interesting... for my day job, I wear suits and I have all kinds of crazy socks - argyles, stripes, bright pink, etc. But for EMS the uniform states they have to be black. Will anyone check? Doubtful, but if my pants ride up and they see them, there will be no end of harassment.

I have 2 pairs of 5.11 9" Over-the-Calf Socks (you get a free pair with every boot purchase), which are very good. However, to supplement those I have plain old black Nike socks that just come over the top of the boots.

I am definitely all for girls in fancy socks (slightly NSFW) but I don't know of any socks like that made to breathe/go with work boots...

I'm assuming that black or similar dark color is the standard, but as my EMS job doesn't even pay me in monopoly money, I feel free to wear whatever color socks I want at the moment. The best I can find for crazy socks on the interwebs is riding socks, and unfortunately they are pretty thin as they're just made to get riding boots on and off easier.

That being said, I do like what I see of the 5.11s (I orignally was going to get a pair of 5.11s for new boots, but once I saw that Haix has a "factory seconds" section on their site for half off... you just can't beat that), and there's a pack of 3 of their socks for about $20. Thing is it's mens socks, and those would be like boats on my feet (I'm a 4.5 men's sizes)...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We have a uniform policy but there is no mention of socks or undergarments in it. When it's cold outside I wear my dirtbike socks, they are fairly thick so they keep my feet/lower legs warm. Otherwise I just wear walmart socks that go up to the calf. When we are posting it's kick off your boots to get a little more comfortable.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Boxers or boxer briefs...but the most important component when the temps head north of 85 is liberally applied Gold Bond Medicated Powder.

Socks are black cotton with aforementioned powder treatment when it's hot, synthetic hiking socks when it's cold.

sirengirl

Forum Lieutenant
Right. I don't think many agencies would get very in-depth about socks and all, just for dress occasions I think. My main concern really is breathability and durability. I'd hate to spend $12 on one pair of socks that lasts me a month or two, y'know.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
the most important component when the temps head north of 85 is liberally applied Gold Bond Medicated Powder.

thats the truth, truth. the only problem is if you get too much... umm, around the corner, if you know what i mean, man the teal bottle burns.:ph34r: