What kind of stethoscope do you carry with you?!

Benjamin123

Forum Probie
I’m thinking about getting a new stethoscope and was wondering what you guys carried?!

Last edited:

srcoen

Forum Crew Member
My wife bought me a BP kit as a surprise... cuff and scope bundled for somewhere around $15... it works well... zulily.com is where she got it.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Ultrascope

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
photo+4.JPG

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
My primary stethoscope is a Littmann Cardiology III that I've had since around 2000. Yes, I have had it that long and I've replaced the diaphragms twice and the eartips at least that many times. It still functions quite well and I have no issues with it at all. I'm contemplating "upgrading" to a Cardiology IV but that's going to happen in the next few months, if at all. My first stethoscope was a Littmann Classic II S.E. and that one was fantastic for what I needed at the time. I no longer have it as it was eventually lost or stolen. The Cardiology III replaced it. I also have a Littmann Lightweight that's basically a Classic II S.E. but the bell is aluminum instead of steel. This model hasn't been made in probably 10 years. It's my backup and it does work well though not as good as my Cardiology III. My "ultimate" backup is a $12 generic two-sided stethoscope or a $4 single-sided stethoscope that I can get at work. While the audio quality is nowhere close to what my CIII or even my Lightweight can do, I can use it nearly as effectively because I know what to listen for. That's the toughest thing to learn when learning how to use a stethoscope... learning to filter out all the extra noise so you can pick out the sounds you're after.

My advice is simple: get a stethoscope that's between about $35 and $70, of nearly any brand, and you'll likely get a stethoscope that will serve you well as a first stethoscope and that will likely serve you well into your career as well. I have heard very good things about the Ultrascope line so if you find one that's in that price range, go for it! Just don't get the Sprague Rappaport style... the rubbing tube noise will drive you batty until you figure out how to hold completely still and prevent the tubes from rubbing while you're listening...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I used a littmann master classic I believe it was initially. Lost it so I got another one. Lost it so I bought 2 littmann cadio III (so that I can have one at home as a spare). About 6 months later I found my master classic.

So now my primary one is a Cardio III and I have a spare Cardio III and master classic at home that I will sometimes bring to the EMT class if they are having trouble with the school supplied ones.

I also have an ultrascope but I am not a huge fan of it at all. It just sits in a box in my bedroom.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Littman 3100.

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Currently Littman classic se II

Got a deal for a Welch Allyn Harvey Elite on eBay for $90 I'm waiting to ship

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Had a black Littmann Master classic that was stolen. Currently have a Cardiology III as my primary, and a littmann knockoff on ebay as a backup (got another knockoff for a friend for use in the hospital, she loves it).

The serious question is, what do you need it for? most don't NEED a cardiology III, nor do they NEED to spend the money on it. If you are just starting out in EMS, there is no need to get an expensive scope. I'm sure there is a mega thread on scopes somewhere on here.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Litmmann Master Cardiology. Have a 3100 but do not use it at work.

Kind of interested in trying the new Cardio IV.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
A lot of my nursing school classmates bought that type of stethoscope and are still using theirs.

Even better! A $40 steth that keeps on truckin'

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Welch Allyn Harvey DLX double head with a peds diaphragm and bell when I'm in the ED, PICU, or field; Triple head with an peds diaphram, adult diaphram, and bell when I'm in the adult ICU. When I was in the fire service I used an ADC 603 because I didn't care when it got stolen, and I wasn't going to babysit a stethoscope for 48 hours.

Tip: If you want a fancy stethoscope search out ebay and craigslist, there is likely a drop out med student who is selling what you want for pennies on the dollar.