What information do you get from your company's dispatch when you receive a run?

Ip man

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys. I just started on my first EMT-B job maybe a few weeks ago and I'm still feeling the waters in terms of procedure of picking up a patient. A lot of times I have no information about the patient except for their name until I get to the dest. At that point my PCR's narrative is still missing a lot of information except for Vitals CC and other assessment information which I could obtain directly from the patient. and I have to give the PCR to the receiving facility to sign already. I don't know it just feels funny to me giving something incomplete for the receiving facility to sign. Is this okay and if it is what are major parts of the PCR you guys feel should be completed before having the receiving facility sign it?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If the call is an IFT we get the patients name, location of pick up and drop off, and C/C.

If the call is 911 we get location of call and a C/C (the C/C is hardly ever accurate).

Regardless of the call we are supposed to print out our finished PCRs and hand them to the patients nurse by end of shift. However our PCR system is set up so that the hospitals can view our PCRs online at anytime.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
All the hospital wants would be: Name, age, social, DOB, how you got the patient, why they have the patient, assessment, and vitals. They simply need the PCR for continuing care in the chart. It will just get stuck in the back and probably never looked at.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
For IFT (stable or stat) I get Pt name, location, sending MD, receiving MD, diagnosis, precautions and required equipment if known. Upon arrival we take full verbal report from the sending staff and receive a copy of the complete chart. I then do my assessment and get initial vitals before leaving the bedside. (Got caught once on a return home with a patient with sats in their boots. Turns out the hospital and forgotten to reapply o2 following treatment and she was not usually obtunded like the staff said. Good lesson learned.)

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
what info do you really need?

For scene calls we generally get a location and c/c.

For IFT calls, we get location, destination, name, special equipment, and a "c/c or diagnosis". I put that in quotes because it is wrong or inaccurate 50% of the time.

all I really need is a location and for IFT a Pt name. I can get the rest (c/c, Hx, meds, allergies, demographics, and of course I do my own assessment) myself either from the Pt or from the Pt's nurse, or the paperwork that goes with the Pt.

As for your PCR- the sending facility should be giving you any paperwork that the receiving facility will need. Sometime we are not provided with demographics at sending facility, but in those cases the receiving should have it because it is a repatriation. in any event, I am not leaving until I have the info I need, and if I need to hang around for ten minutes to write my PCR then that is what happens.

tssemt2010

Forum Lieutenant
emergency or non emergency response, chief complaint, call location, patients age and gender and sometimes the destination

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
911 is address, map page and coordinates, priority/non priority, and nature of the call (like everyone said, not usually accurate)

IFT we get address, room number, bed number if applicable and destination.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
For emerg calls we're paged out from the base with: "_____ Base, ______ Base, Code (3, 4, or 8. Anything else is given out by phone), *Cross Street*." About 30 seconds later we get a back-up page.

Once we book on we get:
[Unit #] you are in service Priority [3 or 4] to
[Street Address repeated twice], [followed by cross street then UTM],
- Chief complaint and incident history
- Febrile Respiratory Illness Screening
- FD tiered yes/no?

Apparently in the next couple years the province is updating the radio system and we'll be adding computer aided dispatch so that call info will be on the screen and we'll confirm en route with a button cutting way down on radio traffic. As a provincial plan I'll hold my breath.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If it's a transfer, we get the hospital and room number, then where we're going. We're lucky if the call taker isn't lazy and puts atleast the last name in.

If it's 911, address, MAPSCO page, and basic information about the call which is generally not too accurate.

You should have plenty of time to finish the PCR before you clear the call. Turn the patient over, do the paperwork, hand it over to the facility staff when complete, then clear from the call. I don't understand the issue?

Last edited by a moderator:

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Depending on whether it's an IFT or a 911 call.

For IFT's we get:

-Code 1 or code 3
-Transferring hospital
-Receiving hospital
-Whether or not we need a third person

For 911 calls:
-Pt. age/gender
-Location of call
-C/C
-History of current event
-Other relevant (or irrelevant) info

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
For IFT:

Patient's name, location and pickup time destination, and any equipment needed. If it's a regular we might only get the name and time ready.

For Emergency:

Patient location, gender, age, chief complaint, alertness, history of current event. If it's at a facility we'll get the preferred ER, any interventions started, and possibly a name.

Also we have no MDT so any information has to come over the radio or the subsequent phone call to dispatch when I can't hear half the transmission.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anjel

Forum Angel
Run number..... Pt name if available... Address... Cheif complaint, priority and if it is bravo or alpha.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Sending facility, floor, receiving facility, floor, last name, first name, additional equipment (O2, monitor, IV, med pump, vent, etc), run number

Joe

Forum Captain
Address, cross streets, map grid, and the call code like and pain or whatever.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Your companies broadcast pt names over the air? Privacy violation much, they are public airwaves....

Any sort of personal or additional information comes over our pagers. Also all the info i stated earlier is paged to us.

I forgot to add orders to IFT like emt.dan said. It's happened before though that we get to a floor and were told only orders are o2 so all we bring is a tank and it turns out the pt is vented, on a drip and requires monitoring....it's great fun, especially when we are on the top floors of the hospital in the furthest tower from the ambulance bay.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Ha kidding.

Thats what we get on our pager.

On air we get

Priority....address...chief complaint,.and who is going to be responding.

IFT we get where we are picking them up,.pick up time, and where we are going, and if we need anything special.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Your companies broadcast pt names over the air? Privacy violation much, they are public airwaves....

Any sort of personal or additional information comes over our pagers. Also all the info i stated earlier is paged to us.

I forgot to add orders to IFT like emt.dan said. It's happened before though that we get to a floor and were told only orders are o2 so all we bring is a tank and it turns out the pt is vented, on a drip and requires monitoring....it's great fun, especially when we are on the top floors of the hospital in the furthest tower from the ambulance bay.

Not a privacy violation. We are on a digital system that is apparently encrypted. Scannerland is not able to here our operations.

OP
OP
I

Ip man

Forum Ride Along

Don't be mistaken. I only receive pick up location and destination address on the radio. Usually I have to get pt. name at the hospital or I'll have to call dispatch.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Not a privacy violation. We are on a digital system that is apparently encrypted. Scannerland is not able to here our operations.

Yup. We're trunked (I think also on a commercial/industrial system) and certainly not publicly accessible.