What do you wear to school?

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
If you don't have a dress code, what do you wear to emt/medic school? I'm just wearing presentable jeans/tshirt with runners. But I see a few people in my group that come in wearing slacks, dress shirts and the whole deal. :unsure: I was considering if it was work clothes, but one of them is a soldier, not their uniform and the other two are stay at home parents. Don't know about the others.

medicmyway

Forum Ride Along
If you don't have a dress code, what do you wear to emt/medic school? I'm just wearing presentable jeans/tshirt with runners. But I see a few people in my group that come in wearing slacks, dress shirts and the whole deal. :unsure: I was considering if it was work clothes, but one of them is a soldier, not their uniform and the other two are stay at home parents. Don't know about the others.

We were required to wear hospital scrubs. Not sure why. We looked like a bunch of silly nursing students.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
We were required to wear hospital scrubs. Not sure why. We looked like a bunch of silly nursing students.

Our program is in the same building as FD/PD and much of allied health. Because simple adherence to rules/orders and protocol starts from the beginning of training, our students are required to wear a uniform. It consists of a pair of trauma pants (blue), polishable black leather shoes, black belt, logo polo shirt and a visible ID. Hair has to be neat and dress must be presentable as it would be during any clinical, 3rd ride or on the job. I will give a warning twice. Upon that second warning the student is told he/she will be sent home to dress according to policy and take the hit on attendance. While other instructors may be lax on the policy somewhat, I am not. It's a respect thing IMO. Only twice has this ever been challenged B)

medicmyway

Forum Ride Along
Our program is in the same building as FD/PD and much of allied health. Because simple adherence to rules/orders and protocol starts from the beginning of training, our students are required to wear a uniform. It consists of a pair of trauma pants (blue), polishable black leather shoes, black belt, logo polo shirt and a visible ID. Hair has to be neat and dress must be presentable as it would be during any clinical, 3rd ride or on the job. I will give a warning twice. Upon that second warning the student is told he/she will be sent home to dress according to policy and take the hit on attendance. While other instructors may be lax on the policy somewhat, I am not. It's a respect thing IMO. Only twice has this ever been challenged B)

Yea, our program was in the same building as FD and PD. But we wore scrubs. wtf-over?!?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
When I wasn't coming into class after work I wore jeans or cargos wiht a polo shirt and tennis shoes that were in good shape.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Uniforms for schools are really ridiculous in this day and age. We must wear uniform shirt, pants, and boots to class but I do it under protest. Medical students do not have to wear lab coats to lecture. RN students at my college don't have to wear scrubs. They all wear comfortable clothing so that they can be comfortable for the 8 hours they spend in school/in the library studying.

Geesh.

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
We wore what ever. I usually wore one of my many metallica t's and either blue jeans or shorts.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Uniforms for schools are really ridiculous in this day and age. We must wear uniform shirt, pants, and boots to class but I do it under protest. Medical students do not have to wear lab coats to lecture. RN students at my college don't have to wear scrubs. They all wear comfortable clothing so that they can be comfortable for the 8 hours they spend in school/in the library studying.

Geesh.

Not directed at anyone person or group but, I don't understand something. Students will gripe and moan and stand up in protest about a polo shirt but won't file complaints against a program when a program is an abomination. Just don't get it. :glare:

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
"Individuality is fine.. as long as everyone does it together." - Maj. Frank Burns ^_^

We have a polyester "ambulance" (how they're described to us) shirt, BDU pants, black boots or shoes, belt, watch, and visible ID.

I don't care about the uniform, except I'd like to see a tail in the back of the shirt, so when I tuck it in and sit down, it doesn't pop out of my waist... When it does, It looks trashy and I'm constantly having to readjust it back into my waist. Also, polyester is very hot, I think we could go ahead and find a different material to use.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
We did not have a uniform for the school. They wanted you to dress in clothes that were comfortable during the lecture, and movable/flexible for the practicals. However they encouraged neat and nice looking clothes only.
For the clinicals it was black pants, nice black shoes, and a white dress shirt.

I support this way of doing it. I am a full time college student and think it helps students relax and learn better, because they are calmed down. However once in the field, its strictly business.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I support this way of doing it. I am a full time college student and think it helps students relax and learn better, because they are calmed down. However once in the field, its strictly business.

Calmed down from what?
I have no problems relaxing in my uniform. They're just clothes.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
"Individuality is fine.. as long as everyone does it together." - Maj. Frank Burns ^_^

We have a polyester "ambulance" (how they're described to us) shirt, BDU pants, black boots or shoes, belt, watch, and visible ID.

I don't care about the uniform, except I'd like to see a tail in the back of the shirt, so when I tuck it in and sit down, it doesn't pop out of my waist... When it does, It looks trashy and I'm constantly having to readjust it back into my waist. Also, polyester is very hot, I think we could go ahead and find a different material to use.

Oh yeah, forgot the watch! And I agree on the hot n sweaty, polyester, out dated shirts. Also agree on the long shirt tails too. A Journeymen's practical is something most of us can do without :wacko:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I can tell you why many programs have went to uniforms. Simply put, most EMT students lack the common sense to understand what dressing professionally means and what a uniform should look like when on a clinical setting.

I send home many students from a clinical setting because they simple cannot read the requirements. Black pants not blue, boots not tennis shoes, boots shined, uniform shirt pressed with the patch sewn not duct taped... etc

Not to even mention to remove the damn jewelry from your face and cover the Demon/nude figure tattoos on your forearms.

You are correct, medical students don't wear lab coats but they do wear shirt and ties on clinicals as well as the unwritten code of what preppy attire is popular or short lab coats versus long coats with cotton buttons for fellowship residents... etc. As well, I had a fellow nursing student expelled from a clinical for the patch not being correctly on the right sleeve and another for drinking a cola in a hospital hallway (unprofessional conduct) that lead into failing the course. We were required to wear shirt/tie (women dress suit) with the lab coat on pre-clnicals or in certain areas.

Yeah, we yell we want more professionalism but you will see a medic driving with l/s while drinking a "big gulp". Only to see them crawl out shirt dingy and butt crack showing.
Sorry, first impressions are lasting.

Now compare this with many of the trooper academies and other similar programs. Very few times I have seen LEO that did not look professional. I know our trooper & fire service program requires a uniform in every class.

Shame we have to install such measures but time has proven differently. You do have a choice. You can protest all you want or go to another school.

R/r 911

surname_levi

Forum Crew Member
one of our classmates had us shirts made. this star of life logo on the front. names on the back, school name w star on sleeve. as far as bottoms we could wear whatever we wanted. but sometimes our teacher brought out suprise search and rescue days that required us going through the woods and mud behind the school.

RescueYou

Forum Lieutenant
When I was taking my EMT-B course, I just wore nice jeans and either a good shirt or sometimes just a t-shirt, depending on where I was coming from. In my EMT-P class though, we are encouraged (but not required) to wear something you'd wear on-scene if on-duty. The next class, we all showed up in black EMS cargo slacks and either a t-shirt or a polo shirt tucked in. For the most part, I just wear the cargos and a t-shirt.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
To class we can wear what ever and usually I just wear a T-shirt, jeans and regular ole shoes. Most people wear the same, it's been shorts lately because of the summer heat.

To clinicals and ride time we are required to wear class polo (red with class name and year on the left and name on the right) and navy or black pants (can be 'EMS' pants or regular pants, no cargos or jeans) and boots, no other type of shoe is allowed. If you are caught out of uniform and the instructors have eyes then your grade is docked. The oonly time you are allowed out of uniform on clinicals is special circumstances in which the instructor approves (ie. I only had two class polos and my dog peed on them, then you can wear a regular red polo with a class badge he has)

JPINFV

Gadfly
Anatomy lab: In the words of the course director, "closed toe shoes, glasses/safety goggles, lab coat [provided and laundered for us], and clothes that we're willing to burn."

Manipulation lab: athletic shorts, t-shirts, and for women, sports bras.

Intro to clinical medicine: Professional dress (shirt, tie, slacks, etc) and short lab coat when working with patients (standardized or real patients).

Outside of that, basically as long as we're dressed decently, no one cares.

JPINFV

Gadfly
as well as the unwritten code of what preppy attire is popular

Most of the people I see in my class aren't dressed preppy. The vast majority of people are in t-shirts and shorts or jeans.