What do you wear to school?

john76

Forum Probie
i wear a polo shirt,jeans,and weastern style boots.

AlphaButch

Forum Lieutenant
We wear uniforms (dark navy military shirts, dark navy ems pants, and boots).

Reasons for having students wear uniforms are pretty simple;

1. Identification. - Uniforms allow students to be easily identified. Anything from being able to pick out your students in a crowd (for good or bad), to making sure the right personnel are in the right places. Someone without a uniform going into a supply room or access restricted area around here will at the minimum be inquired about.

I've snapped at and snatched paperwork back from an MD who didn't identify himself, had no badge or identifying marks, who just happened to pick up the paperwork I set in front of me on the counter at a nurse station. After he was identified, I handed him the paperwork (it was his patient's reports), and told him that the facility should have some sort of identification procedure.

2. Standardization. - When everyone is wearing the same uniform as dictated, it eliminates the subjectiveness of "proper attire". There are no arguments, expectations are in place. There is no "He wears jeans, why can't I wear jeans (when the jeans have holes and rips in them)" or "she gets to wear a nose ring, why can't I wear five hoops in my ears?". One persons "neat appearance" isn't necessarily what is "neat" in another's opinion.

3. Team Building. - It builds camaraderie. Dressing the same and working towards the same goals builds unity and strengthens the students as a whole. They will begin helping each other and seeing themselves as more of a unit instead of an individual. Last time I checked, EMS wasn't an individual sport, being able to work as part of a team is a vital skill. If someone can't follow the simple directions of what shirt to wear, I question their ability to follow more important direction.

If you want to be treated like a professional, you should dress like one. If you want to be taken seriously, don't wear a clown nose. You never know who may be watching and all they have to form their opinion of you is your appearance.

JPINFV

Gadfly
We wear uniforms (dark navy military shirts, dark navy ems pants, and boots).

Reasons for having students wear uniforms are pretty simple;

1. Identification. - Uniforms allow students to be easily identified. Anything from being able to pick out your students in a crowd (for good or bad), to making sure the right personnel are in the right places. Someone without a uniform going into a supply room or access restricted area around here will at the minimum be inquired about.
It's called ID badges. I can go pick up uniform quoted in your first sentence very easily. On the other hand, it's a bit harder to duplicate ID cards.

2. Standardization. - When everyone is wearing the same uniform as dictated, it eliminates the subjectiveness of "proper attire". There are no arguments, expectations are in place. There is no "He wears jeans, why can't I wear jeans (when the jeans have holes and rips in them)" or "she gets to wear a nose ring, why can't I wear five hoops in my ears?". One persons "neat appearance" isn't necessarily what is "neat" in another's opinion.
Why are you accepting people who can't properly dress themselves in the first place?

3. Team Building. - It builds camaraderie. Dressing the same and working towards the same goals builds unity and strengthens the students as a whole. They will begin helping each other and seeing themselves as more of a unit instead of an individual. Last time I checked, EMS wasn't an individual sport, being able to work as part of a team is a vital skill. If someone can't follow the simple directions of what shirt to wear, I question their ability to follow more important direction.
I'm going to call bull on this one too. Either you can work as a team or you can't. All of a sudden putting on a polo shirt and black pants doesn't automatically make someone work as a team. Medicine is a team sport, yet again, most medical schools do not require uniforms to sit in lecture. Even when a uniform exists, there's still a large acceptable variety. If I want to wear a green button down shirt one day with patient encounters and a blue one the next, the instructors, facilitators, and professors aren't going to go all hand waving freakoutery over it.

If you want to be treated like a professional, you should dress like one. If you want to be taken seriously, don't wear a clown nose. You never know who may be watching and all they have to form their opinion of you is your appearance.

It is possible to dress appropriately and comfortably at the same time. If a school is admitting students who can't dress themselves then the school needs to reexamine it's screening procedure.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
In this case, I'm PAYING thousands of dollars, so I wear what I want within reason. I almost always wear khaki slacks and a nice shirt, in any case. (Clinicals and such are different.)

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
In this case, I'm PAYING thousands of dollars, so I wear what I want within reason. I almost always wear khaki slacks and a nice shirt, in any case. (Clinicals and such are different.)

Lol this was the same excuse I used for when I didn't want to go to class in college. "I'm paying thousands in tuition, I should be allowed to skip when I want" :p

AlphaButch said:
I've snapped at and snatched paperwork back from an MD who didn't identify himself, had no badge or identifying marks, who just happened to pick up the paperwork I set in front of me on the counter at a nurse station. After he was identified, I handed him the paperwork (it was his patient's reports), and told him that the facility should have some sort of identification procedure.

You're lucky someone hasn't punched you. That is the rudest attitude I've ever heard of in regards to working with the docs. No wonder there is a rift between 'us' and 'them'. Questioning the person who takes your paperwork? Yes. Snapping and snatching? GTFO, five year olds do that.

AlphaButch

Forum Lieutenant
Yes, snapping and snatching, as in "Excuse me" in a harsh commanding tone and snatching my paperwork back. He walked in from outside, up to the counter and just reached by me and picked up the paperwork. I take HIPAA seriously. I was informed he was the doctor, handed him the report and told him "I can't let just anyone run off with this stuff". If he had any visible identification, it wouldn't have happened. He was wearing jeans and a tshirt.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, snapping and snatching, as in "Excuse me" in a harsh commanding tone and snatching my paperwork back. He walked in from outside, up to the counter and just reached by me and picked up the paperwork. I take HIPAA seriously. I was informed he was the doctor, handed him the report and told him "I can't let just anyone run off with this stuff". If he had any visible identification, it wouldn't have happened. He was wearing jeans and a tshirt.

If you are that worried about it, then safeguard your documents by not just setting them down on the counter. Hand them off to the nurse. Regardless, being rude and snatching papers is extremely unprofessional. Private EMS in Houston has a bad enough rap thanks to all of the crappy mom and pop services, why intentionally add to the fire????

AlphaButch

Forum Lieutenant
Maybe you missed the "in front of me" part. I had not left the counter and had just set them down for the nurse sitting on the other side of the counter. No one there thought it rude, including the doctor. I brought it up in regards to the subject of having a uniform (the topic of this thread) and how uniforms are beneficial (a sign of identification).

JPINFV

Gadfly
/me makes sure to safeguard his computer because he doesn't wear a uniform to lecture.

Achromatic

Forum Lieutenant

Well, I guess the opposite is true for me, then :)

My FD is paying for my EMT-B and then EMT-P, so I guess when they say 'wear your uniform to class' I say 'yes chief!'. :)

Hal9000

Forum Captain
Are you going to a college to get your AAS? While my service would pay for some of my EMT-P (Which I am not pursuing as I wish to be a more definitive provider.), I would not be required to wear my uniform in the classes. Really, it doesn't make sense to wear uniforms to chem labs which many other majors are also taking. Indeed, my service actually forbids wearing company property (Our uniforms.) while off duty.

I can see where you are coming from, however. Our situations are indeed very different.

Achromatic

Forum Lieutenant
Are you going to a college to get your AAS? While my service would pay for some of my EMT-P (Which I am not pursuing as I wish to be a more definitive provider.), I would not be required to wear my uniform in the classes. Really, it doesn't make sense to wear uniforms to chem labs which many other majors are also taking. Indeed, my service actually forbids wearing company property (Our uniforms.) while off duty.

I can see where you are coming from, however. Our situations are indeed very different.

Community College (well, not yet, but I will) - our dept is volly, but fairly heavily "anti-whacker". WA is a no l/s on POV state, and they (the dept) are pretty clear on "you will not be seen in bars or anywhere off duty as a general rule in uniform" (other than obviously normal things, getting coffee on the way to a shift, etc, etc).

But for EMT-B school (which in our county is actually run by Medic One, the paramedic arm of the FD, and open only to active FD personnel, and actually at one of the larger stations), we're in uniform, and expected reasonably to be in at least a polo or other, as applicable, when and if you're at medic school.

JonTullos

Forum Captain
I went to EMT-B at a community college and our only dress code was that it had to be presentable (no inappropriate holes, boobs hangin' out, etc.). We were required to wear program polo (gray with the program's logo on the left chest), black pants, belt, boots, watch and ID. Not sure how I feel about wearing unis to class.. I guess it would depend on who's putting the class on.

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
I just finished my AAS in August and the only time we (Paramedic Program students) were required to wear anything specific, was during clinical/field rotations. This consisted of the compulsory monogram polo w/dark pants, boots/shoes etc...

Other than that, I basically rolled into class wearing whatever struck my fancy... often times, what I went to sleep in the previous night.

MIkePrekopa

Forum Crew Member
Try to get in with a grim reaper costume... tell them you are trying to expand your horizons because your current job just doesn't pay the bills.^_^

Sasha

Forum Chief
... often times, what I went to sleep in the previous night.

Did you at least take a shower first?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Where I went to school, we could wear just about anything... as long as it doesn't bring a public indecency charge. Mostly, we wore whatever was appropriate for the weather. The instructors were more concerned about us learning stuff than what we looked like.

Clinicals and Field time had us wearing a specific uniform, so that we could be identified as (primarily) a student (secondarily) from that school.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I attended an evening class where they really didn't mind what you wore. Students from different services had different requirements--some weren't allowed to wear their uniforms, some were required to, and some were perfectly free to show up in ripped jeans and flipflops to lecture sessions.

I usually wore a suit or something along those lines, because I got off my day job with barely enough time to make it there. I'm pretty sure half the class thought I was the biggest nerd ever at the beginning.

For time in the field, it depended on who we went with. Most of us went with the fire department, and they loaned us gear.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
We can wear whatever as long as it adheres to the College dress code (ie nothing hostile or offensive). Only have to wear scrubs to hospital clinicals and field uniform (blue button up shirt) on the Medic units.