What do you wear to school?

Sasha

Forum Chief
I've noticed just the opposite. The higher students progress through school, the better dressed they are.

But they conciously make that effort. It is not up to a school to teach you how to dress.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
What kind of message are you sending to your students when you look like you just came from the trailer park?

Dressing as an instructor and dressing as a student are different things. The instructor is coming to work to teach and should be presenting a professional appearing as he is 'currently' at work. A student should be dressed as any member of society should. There are 'social norms' that should be followed, anyone should be presenting good hygiene, clean clothes, neat appearance but you don't have to go out of your way or use a uniform. If you want to wear nice clothes that's your prerogative.

As another poster said, just don't be angry when your expensive nice outfit is tarnished by the end of the course. I'd rather be kneeling on the floor in jeans or some old 'ems' pants and a t-shirt during class than khakis or navy dress pants and a polo.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I've noticed just the opposite. The higher students progress through school, the better dressed they are.

I guess I need to go find my camera and take some pictures of what the average lecture wear is.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Dressing as an instructor and dressing as a student are different things. The instructor is coming to work to teach and should be presenting a professional appearing as he is 'currently' at work. A student should be dressed as any member of society should. There are 'social norms' that should be followed, anyone should be presenting good hygiene, clean clothes, neat appearance but you don't have to go out of your way or use a uniform. If you want to wear nice clothes that's your prerogative.

As another poster said, just don't be angry when your expensive nice outfit is tarnished by the end of the course. I'd rather be kneeling on the floor in jeans or some old 'ems' pants and a t-shirt during class than khakis or navy dress pants and a polo.

go back and read the post carefully, the person said they were an instructor. Why can't we hold ems people to a higher standard than those of society? Was that decided by the supreme court?

JPINFV

Gadfly
why not?

If you didn't learn it beforehand, better late than never.

...because if I'm in a class learning about anatomy, I want to learn about anatomy, not about what to wear when doing clinicals or working with patients. In my Essentials of Clinical Medicine class, if a student isn't dressed professionally when we're working with patients (standardized or real patients), then the student is simply not admitted to the clinical skills lab and no credit is given for that day. People who don't know how to dress are going to learn quickly or simply fail out.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief

I know many people in various stages of upper education and many of them are still jeans and t-shirt type of people. If anything the only ones who dress 'nicer' are my female friends and they've dressed like that since I've met each of them. All the people remaining in my paramedic class wear jeans/shorts t-shirtsand the instructor wears jeans and the class polo or shorts and the class polo depending on weather.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
...because if I'm in a class learning about anatomy, I want to learn about anatomy, not about what to wear when doing clinicals or working with patients. In my Essentials of Clinical Medicine class, if a student isn't dressed professionally when we're working with patients (standardized or real patients), then the student is simply not admitted to the clinical skills lab and no credit is given for that day. People who don't know how to dress are going to learn quickly or simply fail out.

round and round we go. we've been here. I already wrote the benifits of dressing better, and you counter with I want blah blah blah...

I want something and told you why. You want something and told me it was because you want something. Like a dog chasing it's tale.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
I know many people in various stages of upper education and many of them are still jeans and t-shirt type of people. If anything the only ones who dress 'nicer' are my female friends and they've dressed like that since I've met each of them. All the people remaining in my paramedic class wear jeans/shorts t-shirtsand the instructor wears jeans and the class polo or shorts and the class polo depending on weather.

But you see, I don't care who you know. I was presenting an argument based on how I think things should be. I already know most emt students dress like trailer trash. I don't need to be told that. I have eyes. I'm trying to change that. That's why I brought it up in the first place.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
But you see, I don't care who you know. I was presenting an argument based on how I think things should be. I already know most emt students dress like trailer trash. I don't need to be told that. I have eyes. I'm trying to change that. That's why I brought it up in the first place.

You stated a generalization and I in turn also stated another generalization. That most upper education students are NOT concerned about appearance most of the time. It's really all socially relevant. What a graduate student would wear at University of Louisville or University of Kentucky would be vastly different than a graduate student from Harvard or Yale or <insert ivy league school here>. Being trailer trash (torn shirts, dirty clothes, scruby beard, what have you) is also vastly different from being clean, wearing clean clothes (t-shirt, jeans, etc).

round and round we go. we've been here. I already wrote the benifits of dressing better, and you counter with I want blah blah blah...

I want something and told you why. You want something and told me it was because you want something. Like a dog chasing it's tale.

What are the tangible benefits of dressing nicer in a lecture environment in Paramedic school? Do you learn more? Does it help your grade (assuming you aren't graded on dressing nice to class)? You are there with whatever other number of people in class, and your instructors. Assuming it's not with a company who is hiring you afterwards you have nothing to impress upon people by dressing nice, especially if it's outside your normal mode of dress. Lecture time is a time when you should be comfortable and able to focus on the material not the clothes you are wearing or the image you are projecting.

In my example above nice is defined as slacks, dress shirt, polo, whatever. Casual clothing is defined as clean t-shirt, jeans, shoes and a neat and good personal hygienic appearance.

Last edited by a moderator:

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Ya know, it isn't about dressing nice or nasty. It's about following a simple directive. If one cannot follow a simple dress code and be professional about it..how will this person treat his/her responsibility on the road? Seemingly dumb rules have pretty simple reasoning.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Ya know, it isn't about dressing nice or nasty. It's about following a simple directive. If one cannot follow a simple dress code and be professional about it..how will this person treat his/her responsibility on the road? Seemingly dumb rules have pretty simple reasoning.

Agreed when the institution has a dress code. If for example I was told that I was to wear lime green slacks, a baby blue shirt, and bright orange belt to class everyday. Well ok, that'd be really weird and I'd probably question the instructors sanity, but you get the picture. Seriously though, if your class requires it, wear it. If your class does not require a dress code, wear what you're comfortable wearing.

As for the topic of for/against dress codes i think I've made my points about that so far and no need to further delve into that.

JPINFV

Gadfly
nobody will care, but if it keeps you occupied for a few hours, then I'm all for it.
Well, when was the last time you sat in a lecture hall full of medical students for a normal lecture? Yea, if you're talking about clincals, sure, but trust me, lectures are in no way professional dress. Then again, what does a medical student know about what is worn in medical school?

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
jeans and a t shirt do me fine; on the road our guys wear black pants and a white shirt with the AUT logo

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
why not?

If you didn't learn it beforehand, better late than never.

I hope to god people have learned how to dress before they are what 20-25? please I didnt know EMS needed that much help but seriously now are the instructors going to go home and dress you like a little catholic school boy and girl?

I went to 8 years of catholic elementary school, where a uniform was required and jacket and tie required about 5 times a month.
4 years of a catholic all boys high school where a shirt and tie was required.
I think I can get it and forgo the uniform part. And I am embarrassed for everyone out there that doesn't know how to dress like an adult. If you pm me I will give you some tips.

Sure even the OEMS and NREMT even say dress professionally, but when I get to the NREMT and state pratical and the NREMT written exam the rest of my (never wore a uniform) class and I are the only ones dressed in a manner that somewhat resembles professional, including the examiners. Yet I did see some untucked program t-shirts either 2 sizes to small on the women or 2 sizes to big on the men with un-ironed khakis. :glare:

Its a good idea, but a poor execution of trying to get students to act and look professional.

and ps you still see the sweat shirts and jeans at Harvard and Yale.

Last edited by a moderator:

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
What kind of message are you sending to your students when you look like you just came from the trailer park?

wow, a bit uncalled for don't ya think? I dress up when I'm instructing, when I'm the student I wear what ever I feel good in. I believe its ones self drive if they want to learn, not the clothes they wear.

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
You stated a generalization and I in turn also stated another generalization. That most upper education students are NOT concerned about appearance most of the time. It's really all socially relevant. What a graduate student would wear at University of Louisville or University of Kentucky would be vastly different than a graduate student from Harvard or Yale or <insert ivy league school here>. Being trailer trash (torn shirts, dirty clothes, scruby beard, what have you) is also vastly different from being clean, wearing clean clothes (t-shirt, jeans, etc).

What are the tangible benefits of dressing nicer in a lecture environment in Paramedic school? Do you learn more? Does it help your grade (assuming you aren't graded on dressing nice to class)? You are there with whatever other number of people in class, and your instructors. Assuming it's not with a company who is hiring you afterwards you have nothing to impress upon people by dressing nice, especially if it's outside your normal mode of dress. Lecture time is a time when you should be comfortable and able to focus on the material not the clothes you are wearing or the image you are projecting.

In my example above nice is defined as slacks, dress shirt, polo, whatever. Casual clothing is defined as clean t-shirt, jeans, shoes and a neat and good personal hygienic appearance.

+10 You get extra credit if your shoes are shiny in med school ^_^

ACLSMEDIC

Forum Ride Along
We have a school supplied white and required to wear black bdu style pants, black belt, and black polishable shoes. Oh yeah no facial hair either

OP
OP
B

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
What I wear in school, has no impact on my education and is in no way a gauge of my professionalism. I wore rags my entire childhood and still held the highest GPA and most maturity.