What do you spend a year for License Fees etc...

What do you pay for out of pocket to work in EMS

• Total voters

Medic One

Forum Lieutenant
Just wondering what the average responder puts out of pocket for licensing fees and other EMS junk that we all seem to buy.

As of October 1st my State Lic. fees are going up to $150 a year, then add my required 48hrs of CME time plus ACLS/PALS/NALS/CPR/National Lic recert etc....

I figure I spend atleast $500+ to work....Yes I can deduct it at the end of the year but we are getting nickle and dimed every figgin month...I have PALS/ACLS and NALS every two years but they all expire the smae month and it always breaks my bank...whats next?

What are we going to have to pay for next?

Uhg..I really need a career change...20yrs in EMS is killing me both financially and physically.

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
You are not going to find another healthcare profession that is cheaper to maintain than EMS unless you become as ED Technician which may not require you to maintain your Paramedic certification or any of the other alphabet soup except for BCLS.

For RRT, I average easily $2000 - $4000 in expenses easily and that is with the hospital pitching in $1000. Of course when I was per diem in RT while working FT in EMS, I didn't have the hospital's support for even that amount.

BTW, what program is calling neonatal resuscitation NALS? Does it include UAC/UVC and chest tube insertion? What accredits it?

medic417

The Truth Provider
Just how many sites are you posting this same question on?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Your job doesn't put you through those courses? Many employers will either have or sponsor refresher programs and alphabet card recerts, either on or off duty. I think you're getting shortchanged (pardon the pun).

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Your job doesn't put you through those courses? Many employers will either have or sponsor refresher programs and alphabet card recerts, either on or off duty. I think you're getting shortchanged (pardon the pun).

Are you a tax payer? Your FD puts your education/training on their budget and guess who helps to pay for their continuously growing expenses.

colafdp

Forum Lieutenant
I paid $175 to be registered for the 2009 year, and now for 2010, it's going up to $425, plus all the alphabet soup courses.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
No, the North Shore LIJ Health System pays for EMT/medic refresher, as well as all alphabet cards, at no cost to the employee. I never had to pay a dime. No muni affiliation.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Matter of fact, at the private IFT company that I work at, I've noticed BCLS classes being held, and the give you GEMS as well. They probably hold all of the other alphabet cards, but I wouldn't know since I already get them through the county.

NSLIJ also gives out medic scholarships to selected employees. You're not taken off of the road, though. Clinicals were tightly regulated, and you don't have to worry about scheduling conflicts. Good deal for a not-for-profit employer.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
No, the North Shore LIJ Health System pays for EMT/medic refresher, as well as all alphabet cards, at no cost to the employee. I never had to pay a dime. No muni affiliation.

North Shore LIJ Health system?

You went on and on about your FF perks and the FD paying for everything.
I like being able to fufill all of my required training, both for EMS and suppression on duty, thank you.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I mentioned earlier in this thread that many employers will have refreshers and recerts, on or OFF duty. FCFRD does it on duty. NSLIJ does it off duty. CCEMS does it on duty, mandated attendance on an otherwise scheduled off day, for straight time. They all give you the training at no out of pocket cost. Clear as mud?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I mentioned earlier in this thread that many employers will have refreshers and recerts, on or OFF duty. FCFRD does it on duty. NSLIJ does it off duty. CCEMS does it on duty, mandated attendance on an otherwise scheduled off day, for straight time. They all give you the training at no out of pocket cost. Clear as mud?

The point I am making is those agencies that are supported by taxes, will put their cost of training on their budge for the tax payers to help pick up.

Other companies will reflect their costs through billing the customer or shifting other expenses to the employee such as health care, parking, cafeteria costs, taking from the capital budget for new equipment, elimintating bottled water, eliminating Christmas parties etc. If you have ever been involved in management or had your own business, you would know nothing is "free".

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
In Alberta, practitioners of all levels pay $340 for registration for the 2010 renewal year. We are also responsible for any CME costs, however the majority of ambulance services will pay these expenses as part of the collective bargaining agreement. If your services does not cover these costs, most of them are tax-deductible.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
The point I am making is those agencies that are supported by taxes, will put their cost of training on their budge for the tax payers to help pick up.

Other companies will reflect their costs through billing the customer or shifting other expenses to the employee such as health care, parking, cafeteria costs, taking from the capital budget for new equipment, elimintating bottled water, eliminating Christmas parties etc. If you have ever been involved in management or had your own business, you would know nothing is "free".

I never said that it's free, only that it costs the employee nothing.... or maybe a few pennies in taxes if they live locally. It's certainly more more efficient to hold a recert off duty, not compensated, I won't argue with that - the agency only needs to pay for the instructor, and not charge the employee. Clever agencies will also bring in outside providers who are paying for their recert to attend these sessions as well. The company is using their own space, the instructor(s) are paid by non-employee participants, and the company's providers won't have a lapse in certification, as it's scheduled through them. That's what NSLIJ does with it's EMT/medic recerts, alphabet cards, and their medic program. The employees are taken care of (if nothing else, it something nice to do for your employee, not everything needs to be profit driven), no money is lost, and the company's instructors get to make some side cash. Everybody wins.

As far as NSLIJ and the FCFRD, it benefits the employer as there will be no lapses in certs. A lapse only serves to pull the employee from ops until recert is achieved. It's nice to say that the responsibility should be solely on the employee, but we know that there are some that don't have the requisite time to fufill recerts (childcare issues, side jobs, frequent mandatory holdovers, etc). It costs way more to replace (and train) an employee than hold recert classes, more so with the FRD, but it applies to both places.

Again, it's a nice thing to do for the employee, and can be a job perk used for attracting more qualified applicants, rather than the LCD. A job feature that lets the agency be that much more selective with hiring.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It is not unusual for me to pay over $2,000 -3,000 every two years, not including any major testing. I am attempting to get our employer to pay for license fees.. I am responsible for all the renewal of the alphabet courses but I have to pay (usually get reimbursed) for Instructor level courses...

That is why I chuckle when I read about a few hundred dollars for license fee....

R/r 911

JPINFV

Gadfly
I put above $300, but to be fair I don't expect any of my companies to pay for my undergrad/grad schooling (courses=CE). Oh, and $150 is nothing. Want to know how much I'm going to pay in exam fees over the next 5 years?

wvditchdoc

Forum Crew Member
Just wondering what the average responder puts out of pocket for licensing fees and other EMS junk that we all seem to buy.

As of October 1st my State Lic. fees are going up to $150 a year, then add my required 48hrs of CME time plus ACLS/PALS/NALS/CPR/National Lic recert etc....

I figure I spend atleast $500+ to work....Yes I can deduct it at the end of the year but we are getting nickle and dimed every figgin month...I have PALS/ACLS and NALS every two years but they all expire the smae month and it always breaks my bank...whats next?

What are we going to have to pay for next?

Uhg..I really need a career change...20yrs in EMS is killing me both financially and physically.

I understand that these classes are required at most services. That being said, stagger them so that they aren't all due at exactly the same time.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The license, ACLS, PALS and NRP are based on a two year cert period. In some states, it is 3 or 4 years for the license. ACLS, PALS and BCLS are cheaper and less hours for the renewal so don't let them lapse to where you have to take the full course.

Again I have to ask what program is calling neonatal resuscitation NALS? Does it include UAC/UVC and chest tube insertion? What accredits it? It there a renewal with full skills and education process or do you just get periodic competencies for these skills with your medical director? Are you able do rotations in the hospital for hands on with the skills? I know each team can set up their training slightly different and still call it NALS. I was just curious as to how yours was set up since Florida initiated its statute changes for Neo transport qualifications for EMS agencies.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I pay state and national licensing fees. I get most of my CME's in-house at minimal or no cost to me, along with most training. Field publications are free too, although I share a few copies with everyone else. With more seniority, I'll be able to get the occasional free conference. These benefits are cobbled together from a few places, but it all adds up to a pretty good deal.

berkeman

Forum Lieutenant
I didn't see med malpractice insurance in the poll or the thread (I only skimmed the thread). It's not bad for an EMT-B ($100-$200/year). Do most of you have it provided through your employer?