What do you look for in a job?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
What information would be helpful if you were looking at an employer for a job?

For example:
  • HR contact information
  • Pay
  • Shifts

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Pay, shifts, but do the current employees seem happy is #1. I spend too much of my time at work to be miserable while I'm there.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
There's a whole matrix of requirements that I used to rank possible jobs.

Pay. Promotional ladder. Retirement. Union. Stations. Equipment. Morale. Protocols. Cost of living. Schools for the kids. Anything and everything.

You need to look at everything that might be a deal beaker, because once you accept that job, it's too late.

Angel

Paramedic
morale is probably the highest...pay is up there too, gotta pay the bills. benefits and retirement as well. everything else can be worked out.

JosephDurham

Forum Crew Member
The atmosphere of the people I would be working with is one thing I could add to what the others have already said.

Joseph

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Are the people happy in the same way that I am happy at work? I don't care if everyone is super stoked on their job if they are bunched of hyped up whackers racin da reaper. That's not what I do, so there's no reason for me to work there.

Pay is important, but not a deal breaker. Currently I'm losing 5k a year if not more in a sanity tax to work where we do. It's a small place where the boss takes care of us, we have an easy call volume, great equipment and protocols, get to do some outdoorsy stuff/SAR, and are generally considered to be one of the best agencies around. I could make more money working for AMR, but then I'd be posted on the street all day running 12+ calls in 12 hours. No thanks.

Benefits are nice, as is the retirement. I am young and am trying to make sure I don't have to be the truck when I'm 60.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Are the people happy in the same way that I am happy at work? I don't care if everyone is super stoked on their job if they are bunched of hyped up whackers racin da reaper. That's not what I do, so there's no reason for me to work there.

Pay is important, but not a deal breaker. Currently I'm losing 5k a year if not more in a sanity tax to work where we do. It's a small place where the boss takes care of us, we have an easy call volume, great equipment and protocols, get to do some outdoorsy stuff/SAR, and are generally considered to be one of the best agencies around. I could make more money working for AMR, but then I'd be posted on the street all day running 12+ calls in 12 hours. No thanks.

Benefits are nice, as is the retirement. I am young and am trying to make sure I don't have to be the truck when I'm 60.

There's other AMR ops in CO that post in stations as opposed to the truck ( I'm going to assume your talking about COS)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Yes there are, but none close to me. The point is that I'd rather leave money on the table than get hammered with calls every day by a company whose management doesn't really care about me all that much.

Not to mention that it would take several years to have the seniority to get into those AMR ops, and the cost of living is much higher compared to the pay.

medicaltransient

Forum Lieutenant
Yes there are, but none close to me. The point is that I'd rather leave money on the table than get hammered with calls every day by a company whose management doesn't really care about me all that much.

Not to mention that it would take several years to have the seniority to get into those AMR ops, and the cost of living is much higher compared to the pay.
I don't care if I am getting hammered with calls or relaxing in a rural area. The people i'm working with is the most important, having no trust or cohesion within the department is a miserable environment. Caffeine will get you through the shift. Surely you have redbull in CO. If I worked for an energy drink company I would market it to EMS.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
pay is #1. if they don't pay me enough to live, than I don't care if it's paradise, I won't consider it.

then in pretty much the following order:
retirement/pension
length of service for the bulk of the full time employees (if the majority of people have been there less than 3 years, that's a major red flag; ditto if they have a super high turnover)
schedule/shift length
equipment
thing to do within the agency that doesn't require me to be on the ambulance
promotion potential
protocols
morale
call volume
area to live, school system, within a reasonable distance for commute.