What do you all have on your personal vehicles

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Emergency Equipment: Whacker of all whackers
I was at the state whacker convention "Lancaster Co. Fire Expo". This guy pulls in next to us w/ a hummer. It's red w/ white letters "WHACKER" on the sides, red, blue, white, green, amber lights all over it. He has this HUGE siren mounted mid-roof w/ it's own steel frame to keep it from denting the fiberglass roof. He said it's too loud to run while your in the vehicle, he doesn't see how they ran it on a fire engine.

I ask "Did you actually see it on a fire truck? B/c I don't think that's where it came from". Nope, he bought it at the Navy Ship Yards in NYC. Exactly... It was a "Federal Model A", it's not supposed to be on a vehicle, it's an air-raid siren. Like the kind that would be on top of a fire house. He should have known that when he needed EIGHT boat batteries to run it for ten seconds.

The back also had a 50gal blue drum in a steel frame w/ electric sump pump attached, another battery for that, and a reel a 3/4" hose w/ smooth bore nozzle. On the side was an area built up w/ another steel frame (he turned out to be a hobby welder) several trauma kits under the frame and a stokes basket w/ backboard mounted on top. Had another welded box for a long "H" cylinder and a set up attached to a pole that was some sort of home-made piped oxygen system. He said he uses it as a forest fire warden. He can fight small fires, and transport a patient from the fire line...

He drove from Maine to buy "toys" at the PA fire expo.

Now that is a dedicated whacker...

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Blue we need to think up a new name for you and your kind...Whacker just isn't enough for you. :D

I don't care for bumper stickers but I'm going to find the one that reads "My other car is an ambulance"

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
One of our ambulances has a license plate on the front that says "We started with cadillacs, now we drive fords, what next a chevy?"

I mean think about it, most people move up to a caddy... We move up to a ford.

Now British countries know what their doing! Started with fords and chevy's, now they drive BMW's, VW's and Mercedes-Benz...

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
I have just a small first aid kit. Just some band-aids and maybe 3 2x2's. Yep....
I do have a flashlight and 2 screw drives. (I just got new plates, which are not ems plates. Too much money) I dont have a light. ($$).....(I dont have a job)
Usually I have a pair of gloves either in my purse, or in a jacket pocket. (Though most of the time they get used for house-hold tasks, such as cleaning the cat box)

I do have a jump bag. It was my mothers. She quit rescue back in '97 or something. Just about everything was expired. Our squad stocks everyones bag. I was told I didn't need one because there's really nothing I'm going to do for someone until the medic arrives. :angry: I won't get started on that issue....yet.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Blueeighty8@Mar 1 2005, 11:52 PM
One of our ambulances has a license plate on the front that says "We started with cadillacs, now we drive fords, what next a chevy?"

I mean think about it, most people move up to a caddy... We move up to a ford.

Now British countries know what their doing! Started with fords and chevy's, now they drive BMW's, VW's and Mercedes-Benz...
PARescueEMT's work has a Mercedes. Well, it is braded Freight-Shaker, but it is a mercedes.

Jon

daemonicusxx

Forum Lieutenant
I usually carry a few gloves, a small BLS kit (4x4's & bandaids) theres also ASA in it but i usually only use that for me, when i have a headache. i have a TDH sticker and an NREMT sticker. i also just got the state EMS plates. the point of the stickers i think is just to avoid getting tickets, and i guess identifying yourself as medical personell comes in second. got a 3-cell mag in there too. i have to say though, i have used every piece of equipment i carry in my car at least once. so its not like i carry anything i dont need.

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
MedicStudentJohn,

My flashlight is plastic and from Walmart. And my kids keep stealing the batteries for thier CD players.

Sorry guys - guess I am hopeless.

I did find dental floss in the glove box, though. If I were Macgyver I guess I could make a stretcher out of it! LOL

For all you true whackers - If I ever need you, please feel free to stop and render assistance, cause I am pretty sure my cell phone battery won't be working either.

;)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by Margaritaville@Mar 5 2005, 06:32 PM
cause I am pretty sure my cell phone battery won't be working either.
LOL :lol:

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief

You shouldn't need one.. If you were Macgyver you would make a telephone out of the dental floss, a gum wraper that you find along side the road and the parts of the flash light. Then you would proceed to build a distress fire using the flash light lens, thus summoning the fire department. Then you could just hitch a ride with them, or convince them you are Macgyver by trying to make a phone call with your dental floss telephone, and they call an ambulance to tx you to the nearest mental health facility. :D

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Blueeighty8@Mar 6 2005, 01:04 AM

You shouldn't need one.. If you were Macgyver you would make a telephone out of the dental floss, a gum wraper that you find along side the road and the parts of the flash light. Then you would proceed to build a distress fire using the flash light lens, thus summoning the fire department. Then you could just hitch a ride with them, or convince them you are Macgyver by trying to make a phone call with your dental floss telephone, and they call an ambulance to tx you to the nearest mental health facility. :D
ROFLMAO :lol: :lol:

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks guys - for the ride to the "Nut Hut".

Better yet,

I think I'll keep a skirt handy so I can be sure and show a little leg. Guaranteed Ride! (just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!)

I just realized this... I have a 40 minute ride home from work through the Marsh. Houses are pretty spread apart, and its cold weather - Maybe a cell phone charger would be a good purchase today.

Thanks to all you Whackers - who made me think for a few minutes about this!

I don't think I would like to be stranded and cold - blue is not my color!

possum

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by daemonicusxx@Mar 2 2005, 08:35 PM
I usually carry a few gloves, a small BLS kit (4x4's & bandaids) theres also ASA in it but i usually only use that for me, when i have a headache. i have a TDH sticker and an NREMT sticker. i also just got the state EMS plates. the point of the stickers i think is just to avoid getting tickets, and i guess identifying yourself as medical personell comes in second. got a 3-cell mag in there too. i have to say though, i have used every piece of equipment i carry in my car at least once. so its not like i carry anything i dont need.
I DO TO HAVE A SQUAD STICKER IM MY BACK WINDOW BUT I HAVE A 6 CELL MAGLIGHT. I HAVE ALOT OF PULL IN MY OWN MY BROTHER IS ON THE TOWN COUNCIL, MY MOTHER IS THE TOWN BOOKKEEPER AND MY FATHER IS THE PARK & REC. DRICTOR. THAT THE TRUTH. OHTER TOWNS IT DOES HELP.

POSSUM 375

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by possum@Apr 10 2005, 03:18 PM
BUT I HAVE A 6 CELL MAGLIGHT.
Ahh... A very handy doorbell.

Jon :D

PS - Welcome

emtchicky156

Forum Crew Member
I have my lights, siren, ambulance plate, jump kit w/ just about everything you would need and a bvm that's all I can think of right now

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Well, once I get back from Oz, my next "fun" project is building a custom console for my truck. I have an '01 F-150 Supercrew, and want to build a console that extends from just under the A/C controls to the back of the front seats (the factory console is just from the front to back of the seats, and isn't very useful IMO).

I'm planning something similar to this guy's console, though his goes all the way back between the back seats (I have a rear bench seat), and his is more for stereo and video game equipment. Mine is going to have:
  • Uniden BC780XLT scanner (just got it off eBay...will probably come while I'm Down Under)
  • Charger for my Minitor pager (already somewhat mounted to the existing console)
  • TrafficGauge, a cool little gadget that shows realtime traffic conditions for the Souther California area
  • Streamlight SL-20X rechargeable flashlight (sitting in the truck currently)
  • handsfree kit for my cellphone (sitting under my desk waiting to be installed)
  • mounted power inverter and both 12V and 110V outlets
  • cooling fan (like on a computer) to keep the electronics from overheating
  • some sort of storage box/armrest
  • additional storage pockets/shelves/something on the back for the tools I need to carry for my paying job (clipboard, tape measure, circuit tester, etc.) and possibly my trauma kit
Would love to add a real navigation system (like the Cobra Nav One) too, but not something I can afford right now. May leave some "expansion" space to add that at some point.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I just added a green teardrop the Corps gave me. Now I can switch on the blue for the FD or the green for the Corps. :)

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
red line plate in front, nremt sticker right above the vin tag, red line sticker, nremt sticker and ma emt sticker on back glass

lights were done througly, but lo-pro . one r/r led light above r.view mirror. two a/r mounted left and right of center in back and one of the same on each side. provides adequate warning power all around without being cluttered or overly nauseating(sp?)

supplies: one galld bls jump kit. added a adj. c-collar.

thats it.

DukeCityEMT6

Forum Ride Along
Well i purchased a 1994 ford crown vic it was an fbi car. I was amazed to find wig wags and tail light flasher still in the car but not connected.

I have a tomar led dash light
wig wags
2 front strobes
fed sig pa 300 siren
code 3 slick stick
2 rear strobes
and radio

i have a jump bag and a small 02 bottle. I do alot of POV response to back up the ambulance and a few first response. I had a car hit while on a scene once so that explains all the lighting :)

EMS decal in rear window, Took fire plate due to runing with EMS and Fire, didnt want people to complain.