What do you all carry with you (on your person)?

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
When you're riding the ambulance, what do you always carry with you, on your person, either in your pockets or on some kind of utility belt or whatever? And how do you bring it with you (in your pockets or on a belt or some other way)?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I almost always wear my jumpsuit on the rig, which has the following items in various pockets:

Extrication Gloves
Latex gloves (6 pair)
6 pens
2 penlights
Stethascope
Pocket Mask
2 Clamps
6" Crescent Wrench
Folding Knife
Trauma Shears
Short Form Book
China Marker
Tape, 1" Transpore and 2"
Streamlight Scorpion Flashlight
Gerber Multi-Tool
EMS Field Guide - ACLS Version
Door Wedge

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
In my right pocket - pair of gloves
In my left pocket - cash for lunches, chapstick
Right cargo - trauma shears
Left cargo - Stethoscope

And an Ink Pen somewhere.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Minitor and Nextel only... I hate my pockets filled with stuff. Besides.. itz all on the ambulance and in the med bags ne way.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
All I carry in to the house with me is my pager, cell phone, pockets: cash for meals, chap stick, pen, tape (if it is a major incident), Stethoscope Depending on call B/P cuff hanging around neck, and if needed a scissors in a pocket And if anything else is needed it is all in the bags.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
ffemt8978 said:
I almost always wear my jumpsuit on the rig, which has the following items in various pockets:

Extrication Gloves
Latex gloves (6 pair)
6 pens
2 penlights
Stethascope
Pocket Mask
2 Clamps
6" Crescent Wrench
Folding Knife
Trauma Shears
Short Form Book
China Marker
Tape, 1" Transpore and 2"
Streamlight Scorpion Flashlight
Gerber Multi-Tool
EMS Field Guide - ACLS Version
Door Wedge

No collapsible pole stretcher?

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
TTLWHKR said:

No sense going overboard.

futuretoledoemt

Forum Crew Member
two pairs latex gloves

two pairs non-latex gloves

stethoscope

penlight

trauma shears

pen

cash

carmex. can't forget the carmex :)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I carry:
  • 2 pairs of latex gloves
  • Penlight
  • O2 Key
  • Trauma Shears
  • EMS Field Guide - BLS
  • County Protocol Guide - Required by county
I also carry a scope around the neck, and pens in my shirt pocket.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
TTLWHKR said:
I never saw the day when I'd see the whacker calling someone a whacker. :glare:

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
ALS field guide, Emergency English/Spanish translation guide, shears, chapstick, 1 extra pair of gloves, pen and at night I add a small flashlight, all in my pockets. As I hate the look of crap dangling off of a belt I only have a pager there. Most importantly ice breakers gum to help deal with the smell of GI bleeds, puking drunks, and those folks who only shower once a year....

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Handful of gloves in left cargo pocket

Streamlight Stinger, Shears in Left cargo pocket

APAP/Bandaids left thigh pocket - for me

Scuz Gloves (long cuff) - 2 pr in Left thigh pocket

4 pens, 1 sharpie in left pocket

normal keychain with pocket mask, Metal O2 wrench on keyring with restraint keys - left pocket

Wallet, notepad - left butt

small handful of napkins/tissues - right butt

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
In station uniform, I have a glove case on my belt and a clip-on sheath with my Leatherman. If its at night, I have the same type of clip-on sheath with a Scorpion flashlight that I also put on.

In turnout pants, I also have a glove case, a full-size flashlight, a pair of shears and a pair of leather work gloves.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Oh, yeah...

My post was for when I'm workng the Squad or the part-time gig.

When I'm working my full time gig, we've got to wear duty belts... so keys, pens, wallet/notepad still in pockets.

Gloves, radio, Stinger-holder, work pager, squad pager, cell phone all on the big ol' duty belt...

OP
OP
JJR512

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
So far it seems like most people prefer to stuff their pockets.

I know from past experience (with an armored car company) that I prefer to have stuff on a belt, if possible, rather than rattling around in my pockets. I was considering using a duty belt with a glove pouch, small flashlight holder, and maybe a Leatherman or Gerber type tool. I'd probably also keep the shears and penlight in this pouch that clips into a cargo pocket.

But even though it's just two or three things on a belt, I don't want to be thought of as goofy or weird, when so far, I haven't seen any other EMS providers in my county wearing a duty belt at all. The only exception is the EMS Lieutenant of my station, who is also one of my EMT-B instructors, and he responds wearing his fanny pack (he puts it on when he steps off the ambulance when it arrives on scene). The fanny pack is something that we're all issued by the department with some "basic gear" in it (I don't know the exact contents yet, since I haven't gotten mine yet). He says he wears his because he has it stuffed with some extra gear that's his own, like his stethoscope, BP cuff, more gloves, etc. But he's a very well-respected member (and rightly so), so nobody would ever say anything about him doing that.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
at my squad, several folks wear "duty belts"

I got one when I was 17... and thought I was "THE MAN" because I had one... then I realized that it just made me look like a whacker... so now I don't carry much on my belt at the squad - but many other folks have gotten the belts since...

As for the belt... i've been wearing it for a year and a half as a security officer / EMT... thing is beat... I just replaced it with the "high end" Galls one.. and I like it so far. - Work issues leather belts- they look pretty, but aren't as comfortable or functional as a nylon belt with an underbelt.

I wear my old duty belt occasionally when I do public service stuff with Amateur radio... makes the HT's easier to carry.

At some point, I might start wearing an EMS duty belt again... Probably when I start running midnights again... and if I ever decide to wear "gasp" a jumpsuit.

emtd29

Forum Lieutenant
What I carry when I'm on duty by emtd29:

small holster with medic shears, bandage scissors, small forceps, and penlight, oxygen wrench and key to firehouse hanging below the holster, scope, and gloves in da pocket. My duty jacket ( basically an EMS turnout coat), has a place for a couple rolls of tape, one of those seatbelt cutters, more gloves ( you can never have enough gloves ) a pocket mask and a pocket to stash my scope in

NEXTEL

SKYTEL ( Alpha pager )

Minitor III

Imagine

Forum Crew Member
The way our squad works is this: we respond to the ambulance or the scene when the tone goes off...depending upon which is closer. If i'm going to the scene, I have a jump kit, with c-collars, sterile dressings, salene, trauma shears, cpr masks, gloves, med tape, bp cuff, penlight, runcard etc. If i respond to the ambulance, I have a penlight on me, along with gloves, and just get the rest off the rig.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Out of curiosity - how do you know when to get the ambulance vs. go direct?