What do you all carry with you (on your person)?

maksim

Forum Probie
Stethoscope.
Weight of blancks
The tool from Victorinox
Pens and a maglight.
Local reports.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Sounds good... what is "Weight of blancks" - perhaps it didn't quite translate correctly.

maksim

Forum Probie
MedicStudentJon said:
Sounds good... what is "Weight of blancks" - perhaps it didn't quite translate correctly.
Sorry, it is set of different service papers. A bureaucratic component, so talk...

Last edited by a moderator:

emt4life

Forum Crew Member
For me:

On my pants belt:
-cell phone
-PDA in a hard case (has my drug reference & ALS reference in it)
-Minitor pager
-Radio

In pockets:
Cash & some gloves

BDU pockets:
-Scissors
-Pen light
-Extra pen (just in case one dies)
-Sharpie
-Listerine pocket strips (for the 2am runs)
-couple of reference cards

I would wear a duty belt if we got more runs than we do, about 2-3 a day.

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
I carry alot of the items already mentioned; Surefire 6P flashlight, trauma shears, 2 pairs gloves, Benchmade folding knife, Littman scope, cash, wallet w/ licenses, and a ton of pens/sharpies (I lose pens alot).

I also carry some very simple, but invaluable items:
10 cc syringe
tourniquet
field guide (mostly for medications I am unfamilar with)
a handcuff key (this might be debated here, but I carry it for two reasons- 1. because my agency would occasionally transport pt's from jail. 2. Because we respond with cops and if you ask any tactically minded cop they probably have a cuff key or 3 hidden somewhere just in case the worst case senario plays out.)

Imagine

Forum Crew Member
MedicStudentJon said:
Out of curiosity - how do you know when to get the ambulance vs. go direct?

That's easy. I live in a small town, so when the tone goes off, and announces the adress, if i'm closer to quarters, i'll go there, if not, I'll go to the scene. Its all about getting to the patient asap.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Education of your local policy..
R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Imagine said:
That's easy. I live in a small town, so when the tone goes off, and announces the adress, if i'm closer to quarters, i'll go there, if not, I'll go to the scene. Its all about getting to the patient asap.
What if everyone goes direct?

Just playing devils' advocate... kind of embarrasing for 3 or 4 EMT's to be there... and no ambulance to take the patient to definitive care.

Imagine

Forum Crew Member
MedicStudentJon said:
What if everyone goes direct?

Just playing devils' advocate... kind of embarrasing for 3 or 4 EMT's to be there... and no ambulance to take the patient to definitive care.

Never happened before. I imagine if it did, we'd send someone to the station to get the rig, or call mutal aid, whichever was more convinient...

nsmedic393

Forum Probie
I only carry what I have to.

Shears, my personal cell phone, alpha pager and drug pouch.

We have a great saying here; "you can tell how new someone is by the ammount of crap they have hinging off their belt".

MedicRich

Forum Ride Along
I usually carry a couple pens, pager, and scope. I also have a belt holdster that holds my shears, knife and mini-mag. I like to keep it simple, no use wasting time digging through pockets looking for stuff.

SWVAEMT

Forum Probie
In my pockets:
Notepad
Pens
Field Guide
Wallet

On my belt:
Double Glove Pouch
Pager
Cell Phone

I also have a clip-on pouch that I leave in the front seat of the truck. If I'm AIC, I'll only put it on when responding to a call. It has my Leatherman Supertool, Mini-Mag Lite, Penlight, Trauma Shears, and two more pens.

Also in the front seat is my 5-cell Mag Lite; easier to wield than that big-a$$ spotlight when looking for house numbers

I also chuck the BP cuff and Steth from the jump bag and use my own. Wish I had a quarter for every time I went to take a BP and had the inflator bulb pop off in my hand while using the cuffs on the truck.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Uh, I have my car keys and a smooshed Snickers bar in case I get hungry later. I hope I don't forget that it's in there again.