what do u do with ridealongs??

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I hate posts like that. Maybe it's me being new but I'd rather run calls steadily thought the day. Not be stupid busy just steady. Makes the day go by faster.

I by no means want people to get sick or injured, i just want to be there when it happens ;)
It definitely makes the days go by faster. Even running BS steadily all day is better than doing nothing at all, at least if you're in SSM. If you have a station and TV, well then you're lucky and I'm jealous of you.

bstogner

Forum Probie
I just finished doing my ride alongs and I admit, it can be boring at times. But, Just make sure you take time to show them around the ambulance and how to use the equipment during down times. Most people will be afraid to ask you to show them how everything works. And make sure they know what their role is as a 3rd person on calls. Doing all of the vitals on every pt is a good idea (as long as you check them too). I find that if you create an envrionment where the student is not afraid to ask questions and you seem enthused about answering them then any proactive student will be able to fill a lot of time just finding out new information.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
While doing my assessment i try to talk out loud instead of in my head so the student understands the thinking process.

Or as i do my assessment, get vitals and such, i will turn to my student and ask them what they think. Sometimes i catch them off guard with that question, but then it gets them thinking critically. When it comes time to make treatment decisions i will ask them, and then i will ask them why, see if they are confident in their choices

"So you have John Doe, complain of non-reproducible chest pain, onest 30 minutes, BP....blah blah blah...what should we do"

"Uhhh...put them on oxygen?"

"Is that a question?"

"No, we put them on oxygen, 15l NRB"

"you sure?"

Ect

ponytail

Forum Probie
THIS. And I swear to God if i get one more student that just sits and stares at the patient, I am going to snap.

I had a lady stroking out in front of me. She was scared to death. It was text book. Her arm dropped, then her eye, then her speech was gone. I told the student to comfort her while I called the ER. She sat in the jump seat and did nothing. Then stayed in the truck when we took her in. Said she didn't want to get in the way. GRRR.

/rant.

I'm starting my ridealongs very soon. While I'm looking forward to practicing the skills we've been taught, this is also a completely foreign environment for me and I would hope I get to first observe how the EMTs interact with patients?
I mean I'm not looking to sit there and stay out of the way the whole time but I would really like to just watch you guys in action first. I feel the practical skills they can teach us in class, but I hope to also learn how you put patients at ease in a tough situation.

bw2529

Forum Crew Member
THIS. And I swear to God if i get one more student that just sits and stares at the patient, I am going to snap.

Did you tell them what the expectations were before they got on the bus? If expectations aren't well laid out, I'd say you're equally at fault (your for not telling them and then for not asking).

Angel21228

Forum Probie
When I have Basic Student's on the rig, I usually let them do most of it! They do the Assesment, Vitals (which I re-do to make sure its correct), and the PCR! They always know that I am there if they have questions. And I ask questions throughout the call and have them answer them!!

Anjel

Forum Angel
Did you tell them what the expectations were before they got on the bus? If expectations aren't well laid out, I'd say you're equally at fault (your for not telling them and then for not asking).

I told her to stay up my ***. I told her she wasn't being graded on how well she could make the stretcher, and that when we are with a patient, it is her patient too and she can ask whatever she wants. i told her to come with me into the ER and she said she was ok.with staying in the truck. Made me mad.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm starting my ridealongs very soon. While I'm looking forward to practicing the skills we've been taught, this is also a completely foreign environment for me and I would hope I get to first observe how the EMTs interact with patients?
I mean I'm not looking to sit there and stay out of the way the whole time but I would really like to just watch you guys in action first. I feel the practical skills they can teach us in class, but I hope to also learn how you put patients at ease in a tough situation.

Most crews aren't going to throw you straight into the fire if it's your first ridealong. They will probably have you sit back and watch the first call, and then ease you in. Hopefully by the end of the shift you can run the call yourself (assuming it's not ALS) with your preceptor just their to make sure everything runs smoothly. When I work with an FTO a lot of times I'll work with the third as if he was my partner for the day and the FTO will just observe.

Hockey

Quackers
The most important help you can provide a ridealong student is insight into what you're thinking, why you did or said what you did, and what you also could have said or done, plus what would have definitely been the wrong thing to do or say.

To maximize the student's experience, expanding on the calls you run is so imperative.

This a MILLION times! Even now, when my partner(medic/medic) explains something to me on a call, I learn from it if I wasn't 100% sure. When I was a student/extern, I learned SO much from this.

I can read it a hundred times, and have no clue. But until I get to see it, in real life, on a real patient, I won't get it

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
So do you guys get random draws on medic students? Have a different one every time or is it The same student all the time?

At my last agency we had medic students that had 2 phases of ride outs... just the experience kind, then at the end it was an internship where they were expected to act as a lead medic. Internship, they'd have 1 medic that they stuck with, but for the experience rides, they'd get whoever took them, and more often then not I was the only medic at my station who ENJOYED having them on my truck.

At my new agency, I'm on a 16hr truck, so we don't get any students. Sucks too... the recent bunch of female students I've seen, I wouldn't mind precepting :cool:

Anjel

Forum Angel
We get random students.

And for my internship we are with different people.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
As a medic student I got many preceptors; and I would rather have that. There are programs out there that the instructors choose a preceptor for the student that they are supposed to stay with for the entire class. Doesn't matter if they don't get along or they have a personality clash.
Not counting if you get put with someone who refuses to treat pain for example: or someone who will sit on scene for an hour so they can deliver a baby but get an AMA for someone stroking out because it isn't worth their time.

With many preceptors you learn different ways of doing things; different styles of paperwork, and different ways to examine and evaluate patients (both good and bad ways).
It helps you to develop your own style. Combination of the things you see and learn, and hopefully ways to not scew up like some people seem to do

Mad Max

Forum Probie
Currently, I'm doing my ride alongs for EMT-IV certification here in Tennessee. While I can understand the advantages of riding with a bunch of different crews, for myself personally, I've found it more rewarding to stick with the same folks for all of my rides. Not only is it great to get along with the people I'm working with, a basic level of trust is developed, and I like to think they're a little more at ease with having me around, simply because they know how I'm going to act and what I'm capable of. As for how they've treated me, they pretty much let me do anything I want, within my scope of course, and as long as it isn't too off the wall. I think the most important part of the experience, as has been stated before in the thread, is patient interaction. It's easy enough to go down a checklist of do's and don'ts for treatment, but the hardest thing for me to do is to find a nice flow of conversation with the patient. As my preceptor said, "If it's an awkward silence for you, it's awkward for them as well." Other than that, just make sure us students don't kill anyone or blow up the ambulance, then you should be all right.

nicolel3440

Forum Crew Member
I went on a ride along with a local company about a year ago. It wasnt as a student but to get insite on the job I was interested in. The medic was awsome. We had one call all day which was to tranport a choper crew from landing zone to pic up patient at hospital and then back again. As the chopper crew was in the room getting the patient (anurisim sp?to the stomach) ready to go the medic on our ambulance pulled me into the corner of the room and explained every little detail. That was the best rid along i was ever on and made me want to go into ems even more. I think that it is great when someone is willing to explain things.

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
Start of shift: go over what they can and cant do, go over where everything is on the ambulance and what each thing is used for. Have them practice all the normal stuff they are going to be doing such as stripping out an IV bag or getting a saline lock ready.

After calls talk to them about it call. See if they have any questions. Explain to them why we did what we did.

While posting I will make up scenarios for the students.

Also while posting I will have them go hands on with all their EMT skills.

This is exactly how my ride outs were with Palm Springs AMR. It was a lot of fun.

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
Way back in like Novemberish of 2010. If I remember correctly from previous topics etc, you took the EMT basic class at CHC too during the Fall 2010?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Way back in like Novemberish of 2010. If I remember correctly from previous topics etc, you took the EMT basic class at CHC too during the Fall 2010?

Yep. Friday class