What color lights do you have?

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
All this talk about what everyone is carring in their personal vehicles got me to wondering.....What color lights are you allowed in your state?

Here in Wisconsin its red. Red only. (PD can have blue and yellow and red)
I know in Illinois its blue. I remember when my mom was on rescue and we used to go visit my grandma down in Illinois. We had to put a cover over her light so she didnt get a ticket for having a red light in Illinois. Now most people have LED lights so you can't tell the color. I don't have a light. For they cost too much money. And, you cant just have a light, you need a siren too. Plus, I would have to get LED ones too because I travel to Illinois so much. I don't need to be fumbling with a cover going down the Toll-way going 75mph. So yep.

:ph34r: Just in case you forgot the question in all my pointless/mindless rambling, what color lights are you allowed in your state?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Green in WA, but my department doesn't allow them.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Lights? We don't need no stinkin lights!

Yellow and red here.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Here in PA it is "two blue rotating lights" per the state vehicle code.

I know people who go "stealth" with lots of blue strobes hidden in their cars, and some, um, not-so-blue clear-ish lights ;)

Our firetrucks and ambulances are RED. Some White, some Amber lights allowed, but RED is main color. My one dept. uses red / clear foward facing, and red on officer rear, amber operators rear - don't QUITE know where they got that from, but it is neat to be able to tell the rear from the front end in pitch black ;)

Oh, and here in the suburbs we have Opticoms TM. (AKA: Priority GreenTM, StrobecomTM)

Jon

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Technically in NY it is one colored light per vehicle, but no one stops us for having strobes in the grills and/or back. I guess if you looked like a Christmas tree the cops might pull you aside...

It is blue for fire department and green for ambulance corps only, although my corps doesn't care whether I use blue or green when responding to them. We have to carry "permisison" with us though - on the back of my FD ID it quotes the law stating I may have a blue light and the chief signs it - same with the ambulance corps for green lights.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
In Michigan EMS and FD are Red, PD Red/Blue.

Our ambulances have red/white with rear-facing amber lights.

emtal233

Forum Crew Member
At the ambulance corps green for members in their cars, and only if you have your green light card signed by the board of directors. We have a few roving xmas trees in my deptartment too.... :D

bls4tvrs

Forum Ride Along
in my squad/county PD is blue and white and FD/EMS is red and white. looks pretty at night when everybody is rushing for a 10-50. lol :p

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Lights?? All that I have on my car are my headlights and tail lights and the 4way flashers.

We don't really have a reason to have blue, red or green lights I guess. Since being in a small town the cops pretty much know everyone on the squad and what they drive. So we pretty much respond using our four ways flashers.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Emergency lights are only allowed on authorized emergency vehicles in California. Volunteers aren't allowed to have any lights and must obey all traffic laws in personal vehicles.

As far as emergency vehicles go, the vehicle code requires a single solid red light visible from 100 feet in the front. That's all that's required, but the VC does allow for additional red, amber or clear lights (solid, flashing, strobes, rotators, etc.) as needed, so most emergency vehicles have at least a full lightbar and may have other lights as well).

Blue lights are restricted to police vehicles, which must also operate the solid red light described above. Most PD vehicles have a half red/half blue lightbar.

Amber lights are pretty much unrestricted. Tow trucks, utility vehciles and any other vehicle that could present a road hazard can mount ambers. A lot of private vehicles used by people who work on roadside construction sites have amber lightbars.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Mar 2 2005, 12:40 PM
Here in PA it is "two blue rotating lights" per the state vehicle code.

I know people who go "stealth" with lots of blue strobes hidden in their cars, and some, um, not-so-blue clear-ish lights ;)

Our firetrucks and ambulances are RED. Some White, some Amber lights allowed, but RED is main color. My one dept. uses red / clear foward facing, and red on officer rear, amber operators rear - don't QUITE know where they got that from, but it is neat to be able to tell the rear from the front end in pitch black ;)

Oh, and here in the suburbs we have Opticoms TM. (AKA: Priority GreenTM, StrobecomTM)

Jon
And then you have the married with six children, wannabe whackers..

With their light bar that sticks eight inches off each side of their mini-van, weighting it down on one side.

PA State Police > Red, White, Blue

Vol. Fire/EMS Chiefs/Ambulance Captains > Two red flashers/strobes/rotators

Vol. Fire/EMS POV > Two Blue/or One white-One blue flashers/strobes/rotators

Fire Apparatus/Ambulances > Red, Red/White Combination, No more than one amber light

Funeral Car > Purple

Construction > Amber

Incident Command > Green

School Bus, Rail Road > White

I'm a blue guy myself (HA HA), but the bulbs in my bar light have been blown for years, and the bulb in my HotShotII is blown; and the Whelen Dash Pro has a DOA bulb also. So I guess I make due w/out.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Blueeighty8@Mar 2 2005, 06:15 PM
And then you have the married with six children, wannabe whackers..

With their light bar that sticks eight inches off each side of their mini-van, weighting it down on one side.
Thought we would be hearing about blue's lighting package ;)

Vol. Fire/EMS Chiefs/Ambulance Captains > Two red flashers/strobes/rotators

Vol. Fire/EMS POV > Two Blue/or One white-One blue flashers/strobes/rotators

Umm... My understanding was that for POV's it was 1 or 2 BLUE. ONLY BLUE lights. At least 1 360 degree warning.

My understanding is that chiefs / EMS Captains did not have a # of lights restriction.

Funeral Car > Purple
Ever Seen one with the light?

I'm a blue guy myself (HA HA), but the bulbs in my bar light have been blown for years, and the bulb in my HotShotII is blown; and the Whelen Dash Pro has a DOA bulb also. So I guess I make due w/out.
So Blue is Feeling Blue Because he misses his Blue Lights.

Jon

Summit

Critical Crazy
Ambulances have Red and White with ambers on the rear.

Dive and SAR have red and white.

LEO - Red and Blue.

No lights permitted on POV.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Blueeighty8+Mar 4 2005, 04:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Blueeighty8 @ Mar 4 2005, 04:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon@Mar 4 2005, 01:44 PM

Funeral Car > Purple
Ever Seen one with the light?

Yes...Dark purple light bars. [/b][/quote]
Dark purple gumballs on old hearses? With <Disabled> Q's???
:lol: :lol:

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I've only ever seen them on the funeral procession SUV's that carry family members or flowers. It would look tacky on a hearse. If you notice most larger funeral homes have purple magnetic "Funeral Procession" crosses on vehicles or purple flags w/ magnetic bases. I've attached some examples of the various lights available.

dm2slvv.jpg

cr12vm.jpg

mlfl17mv.jpg

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Blueeighty8@Mar 4 2005, 08:40 PM
I've only ever seen them on the funeral procession SUV's that carry family members or flowers. It would look tacky on a hearse. If you notice most larger funeral homes have purple magnetic "Funeral Procession" crosses on vehicles or purple flags w/ magnetic bases. I've attached some examples of the various lights available.
I've seen the purple flags, never actually seen the lights

(I was making the joke that it was an old ambulance converted to be a hearse - hence the Federal Q)

I've also heard of funeral processions using opticom. Personally like the idea - they have the right-of-way anyway, this way fewer idiots are tempted to cut across the procession.

Jon

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Actualy Yesterday on the way to school (my hour drive) I met a funeral procession there was a lead vehicle that had to purple flags on the top door frame of the vehicle then the hearse and the rest of the vehicles.

This is the first time I can say I have ever noticed it.