What color lights do you have?

emttowman

Forum Ride Along
Color of lights

In ohio emts are red and white/siren, fire is all red/siren, Funeral is yellow with PD escourt

Ed3SJ

Forum Ride Along
anybody know the color lights you can have in Florida? i dont think we can have anything besides orange... this is the only forum i have ever red that people dont yell at the guy who just asks the question about having lights in a POV. I got none in mine, and figured to stay that way

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
No Clue - Check with the local PD or Sherrifs office on that.

Also, you could always do "Ask a cop" at Officer.com... sometimes works, sometimes doesen't.

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
uggh..my state (NY) pisses me off...vollie EMTs can only run green lights, vollie firefighters can only run blue lights, any officer of the squad or CFR's can run red/white lights and a siren, chief and any asst. chief with the fire company can run red/white lights with a siren, cops have red lights to the front and now red and blue to the rear, they want to go front blue too which according to some people would put vollie ff's to green lights...which I know with the amout of money a lot of vollies have spent on lights..none of them would be to happy

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
I use red reflecters for my big wheel!

TheAfterAffect

Forum Lieutenant
I believe here in NJ Vollies for the EMS and Fire I believe Run Only Blue lights, But they can have Clear and Amber accessories.

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
Yea i beleive here its blue lights, but ive seen vollies with blue and red. So im not totally sure. Connecticut.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Let's see, I've got 4 orange lights on each corner that either flash one side at a time or all four at a time. I've got a set of rear facing red lights that are controlled by a pedal and a switch as well as a set of rear facing white lights that's controlled by the gear shift. In the front of my car I have 2 sets of forward facing white lights that are controlled by a switch both in terms of intensity and one/off. What other lights does one need on their POV?

rgnoon

Forum Lieutenant
I believe here in NJ Vollies for the EMS and Fire I believe Run Only Blue lights, But they can have Clear and Amber accessories.

Darkageknights, although many folks in Jersey use clear strobes, this is actually very illegal regardless of whether or not the law is enforced in any given municipality (i know of some where it is STRICTLY enforced). It is also illegal to use alternating flashing (wig-wags) or strobe headlights.

As per N.J.A.C 13:24-5 et seq., active members of volunteer EMS/Fire/Rescue/Municipal OEM organizations may utilize no more than TWO (2) removable or permanent emergency warning lights of the the flashing or revolving type and MUST be equipped with a BLUE LENS and controlled by a switch installed within the vehicle.

There are also very strict allowances as to where your blue light(s) may be mounted. The law is very clearly explained and cited on the back of all blue light permit applications. It is also very explicitly stated that no one may operate a blue light without the possession of a permit, and while responding to an emergency.

With the state leadership present in your particular agency, I am sure that this will be explained ad nauseum to you in a new member orientation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
Docter house welcome to the party =] Love that show.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Let's see, I've got 4 orange lights on each corner that either flash one side at a time or all four at a time. I've got a set of rear facing red lights that are controlled by a pedal and a switch as well as a set of rear facing white lights that's controlled by the gear shift. In the front of my car I have 2 sets of forward facing white lights that are controlled by a switch both in terms of intensity and one/off. What other lights does one need on their POV?

Hilarious!!!!!! :)

I always find these threads humerous...................

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
I dont have nor want anything on my car, but as for the general state rules:

Blue = LEO Only!!!
Green = National Park service Rangers only (very rarely enforced, many security services have greens)
Red = Ambalance, Fire apparatus, some PD/SO's and most Medical Examiners.

Amber = construction, utilities, The Cable Guy, etc...
White = Anything under the sun as well

WigWags are for Emergency Vehicles only (not POVs)

Very few agencies run Red/Blue combo's around here in the Metro ATL, except Clayton County PD and SO.

certguy

Forum Captain
CA's the only state I've seen where vollies aren't allowed any lights on thier pov's . Really sucks when you're responding from a distance . I was an out of district FF and they would've come in handy . After seeing cars pass too close for comfort while working a major storm with CERT , I do carry an amber rotator for scene safety .

ccems644

Forum Probie
Kentucky: Police:Red, white, Blue, (mostly Blue)--- Ambulance: White, Red, Amber --- Fire: RED, White, Amber ----Coroner: red, blue, white, Amber ---Hwy Dept: Amber.

Your supposed to have a siren that has is so many decibels at 100 feet (usually any 100 watt siren and 100 watt speaker will do the trick)

If you shop around some you can find LED's at a resonable price.

MikeRi24

Forum Crew Member
Technically in NY it is one colored light per vehicle, but no one stops us for having strobes in the grills and/or back. I guess if you looked like a Christmas tree the cops might pull you aside...

cant have them im the grill anymore in NY.

and i dont even have one because if im not working, im not going out on an ambulance, and I live so close to my fire hall its not even worth it to have one.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief

ditto. hwen i forst got into the business, i fully whackerfied my pov. then, as the years passed, and i grew up and calmed down, it all came out. theres no need for it. i dont care how far from your station you are. if your that far away, is it in good concious to be providing EMERGENCY CARE? and dafety on roadside scenes, well my rig has plenty of lights. oh, and the cruisers that respond as well are quite well appointed. hasnt failed me yet.

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
cant have them im the grill anymore in NY.

yes you can, I have them, and many more vol. ff's and emts around here have them ad cops say nothing...unless its certian police forces that dislike them...

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
Here in ZAR our paramedics are only allowed to have red in their personal vehicles. Why you want lights in your personal vehicles, I dont know... insurance goes up and you risk losing pay-out if something happens.

Occasionally white along with the red, provided its front facing. Basically everyone have their own seeing regarding the systems and it all depends in what area you are traveling.

The chance of your vehicle being checked by Metro Police or Provincial Administration is high whenever you use lights in your private vehicle. If you are actively using it, it is recommended that the vehicle be registered as an emergency vehicle.

Conclusion, it's not worthwhile....

philfry

Forum Ride Along
I am in Lexington, KY. Police are Blue/Red/Clear - EMS/Fire are Red/Clear/Amber. I have lights in my POV - undercover strobes, red and clear LEDs in the back and front with 100w siren.