What are your Health tips?

ThatEMTGuy

Forum Crew Member
What do you do when you work out? what types of workouts do you do? meals!? what type of meals do you make? snacks, lunch, and dinner? I want to start being healthy and choose better alternatives.

Marcus Howard

Forum Ride Along
Hello,

Unfortunately I cannot give you much advice on eating because I'll be the first to admit that I eat poorly!
When it comes to workouts, I personally stick with cardio every workout (many people wouldn't agree to this). I've just grown up in a family and in school where running is a big priority. I try to do weight training as many times a week as I can which usually is anywhere from 3-4 times a week at about 45mins each workout.
Recently I've been swimming and I would advise everyone to try it! Good cardio, arms, and leg workout.

Regards,

Marcus Howard

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Finally! Another runner!

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Yeah I can't say that I eat extremely healthy (I'm 20) I eat constantly during the day and have been 155 for the past year. I used to do a lot of weight lifting and I mean A LOT, then I got hired as a wild land firefighter and I learned real quick that yes muscular strength is good but it doesn't mean squat if people are running circles around you. For out PT's we would hike in our gear (makes sense since we are wild land firefighters) for about a hour since that was our allotted PT time. Now that I'm laid off for the season, I'm really big into running now, kinda ironic because I used to hate running. But I'll do 2 miles every other day, mix it in with some mountain biking and its a real good cardio workout. I still do weight lifting but not as much now as I have figured out you can have the biggest strongest muscles but if you don't workout the muscle that counts the most (heart/cardio) then well you get the point.

BraydenNegron

Forum Ride Along
Well instead of taking full meal at a time, you can divide them in small-small count as it will not only maintain energy in your body but proves beneficial in exercise too.

MkVity

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
Walking, I love walking and trekking with the dog. Its also a great stress reliever. :)

Burritomedic1127

Forum Captain
Classic answer but eat right and workout often. Doesn't have to be gym related find something you enjoy that is a workout and it's easier to get motivated/stay on a regime. Surfing, snowboarding, and rock climbing, for me, are full body and cardio workout in their own respect.

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant
Howdy,

I'm not a triathlete per se, but I do run, cycle, and swim for fitness and fun. In my state it's friggin' winter for 9 months out of the year, so I feel like running, swimming, and cycling are things I can do inside at the gym, too.

Running: I do intervals on the treadmill (during the winter) for 3 or 4 miles, and then one "long" run per week.
Cycling: I fit this in whenever during the week or as a replacement for a run. I throw my bike up on a trainer (winter time, again) and turn on the television. I've been slacking on this one lately.
Swimming: Love this. If you do it, know that it takes your cardiovascular system in ways that cycling and running don't.
Weights: I tend to incorporate weights after my runs. I do chest one run, then back another run, etc. I lift for strength and muscle endurance -- not to bulk up to He-Man proportions.

I've been told to focus on keeping my back and legs healthy, so I'm being mindful of that, too.

Oh, and do Yoga. Don't laugh. I'm brand new to Yoga, but it's great.

Cheers, and kudos for wanting to stay healthy.

M.

ThadeusJ

Forum Lieutenant
The best exercise can't outperform a poor diet. There are many ways to get the body in the shape you want but it starts (especially for night shifters) with eating well and drinking plenty of water. Stay off the junk food and sugary drinks.

happylittleblue

Forum Probie
Food wise...we eat normal if not a little healthier than most I would guess. One thing I see being a benefit to our eating habits in EMS is just to portion and pre-plan meals. Get some Tupperware and ones that have at least 2 sections that way on one side you can put your main meal and the other is fruit/veg. I'd also get a big water bottle, they say you should drink half your body weight in ounces. Example: a 200lb person should drink 100ounces of water daily NOT the 8glasses people want to believe.

Additionally...for me when I work out I love working out to Jillian Michaels whether it's kickboxing, shreds, or just yoga. Her dvd's are 20-30mins on average and you get a REAL and full workout everytime. I do a lot of jumping jacks, squats, bicycle crunches, etc. Lot's of options out there for you. Just have to find what works best for you. Good luck!

daysquad

Forum Probie
Hi, I don't usually workout but when I get to do some , I resort to stationary biking and thread mill. For my meals, I already have limitations in eating fatty foods because I already had my laparascopic cholecystectomy. It is a kind of surgery where my gallbladder was remove. I'm more into vegetables, lean meat and more liquids such as fruit juices and water. Actually, there are many things to try if you prefer to be fit and healthy. You just have to know the things that could very well suite your healthy lifestyle.

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
I try to eat the right amount of food and eat more of the right stuff. I don't eat most fast food, and try to limit myself to "healthier" options like Subway, Chipotle etc (I know they are not healthy options, but they're better than McDonald's or Taco Bell). I go for smaller portions (getting the 6" instead of a 12" unless I have a fridge to put the other half in). I try to keep health snacks on hand too to cut down on junk food snacking.

For exercise, my wife is a serious runner so she gets me out there a lot. I also ride my bike. I can't stand lifting weights, so throughout the day I do body weight exercises or in the evening most nights we'll do a 20-30 minute work out. Pretty standard stuff I think. Nothing crazy, just trying to moderate my intake, but better stuff in, and stay active.

squirrel15

Forum Captain
Food wise I'll admit I ate like crap, mostly out of laziness and not waning to cook. I recently decided to give nutrisystem a shot for the simple reason I didn't have to cook or plan a meal. I don't really follow their plan exactly but that's because a 250 calorie protein bar is not enough for lunch so I usually eat two instead. I've felt a lot healthier since doing that since I'm not eating sandwiches or crap from a grocery store.

Tim Wagner

Forum Ride Along
I start my day by drinking a glass of warm water with lemon each morning. Do cardiovascular exercise on an empty stomach. Have smoothie for my breakfast. For snacks, I prefer a small apple with some almonds or a boiled egg. I ensure to eat every three hours.

Williana Sullivan

Forum Ride Along
I start my day by drinking a glass of warm water with lemon each morning. Do cardiovascular exercise on an empty stomach. Have smoothie for my breakfast. For snacks, I prefer a small apple with some almonds or a boiled egg. I ensure to eat every three hours.
Hey Tim, What you prefer to take for dinner?

S h o O o b i e

Forum Ride Along
If you are trying to lose weight I would stick to the cardio (run, bike, row, swim, stairs) and stay away from the fast food. If you are trying to gain weight stay away from cadio and EAT double the amount you usually do while lifting heavier weights with lower reps.

Sleepnheat

Forum Probie
I run and bike. As far as food goes, use common sense. If you HAVE to eat at a McD's, get chicken, not beef; no fries. Limit portions during meals and drink A LOT of water!