What are you going to do when you retire?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I'm currently completing an online class for my life insurance license, and one of the topics is funding for retirement... I assure you, It's are boring as it sounds.....

So, my question for everyone is, what do you want to do once you retire?

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I am going to work until the day of my funeral; my wife doesnt' believe in saving money, she likes to spend it. SO we don't have enough to retire on

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Fish and hunt while taking care of the property.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Enjoy retirement. Maybe buy an RV and travel the country with my wife.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Do people retire anymore?

Such a big part of my identify is my profession, I'm not sure. I'd imagine I'd volunteer, travel, spend time with friends and family.

At what age does everyone plan on retiring?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Such a big part of my identify is my profession, I'm not sure.
Aw man, I’m sorry you see it that way, but at least you admit it. I think so many of us struggle with this, and it’s often the bane of our unhappiness.
Also kind of sad to me so many people see it this way. I know so many co-workers who still live paycheck to paycheck with this mantra.

Personally, I’m working towards retirement and if I don’t make it, then my family shall inherit my efforts.
No later than 65 is my plan. If I play it right maybe even my 50’s.

I will say, I can’t promise I won’t crawl out of my skin if I don’t learn to keep myself busy when I do in fact retire.

Also, I’m glad this thread was created. A good break from all of the recent crap on here. And also, something that most people don’t seem to focus on anymore. Shout out to Dr. P

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Tell the convalescent home nurses that I have chest pain.

OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
my goal is to get to the point where I CAN retire... where I can tell my boss "here is my notice.... I can go at any time" because I no longer need to work, but I still want to. 65 would be great, 70, 75...... who knows... 50 would be awesome, 62 is more likely. But I like my career, like what I do, so I don't see myself looking to giving my notice until it's no longer fun to do.

I doubt I will ever get out of public safety altogether...I enjoy teaching, traveling to conferences, and my shifts at the FD, but I know, as the family gets older, as my body gets more banged up, and as my back hurts more and more in the morning, I will have to call it quits and get off the truck one day. That's when I will be officially old.

Truth be told I know people who retire, and without that drive to do something, they end up dead in 5 years, so I want to continue working for as long as I can. Doing something, keeping to some schedule. I plan on enjoying my comic book collection, maybe even learning to fish, and working on keeping my son out of trouble. Travel more, visit Europe, plan on overthrowing a small central American government, do the tourist thing... maybe even continue writing articles for the EMS and Fire magazines, who knows. things to keep my mind sharp.

And I look forward to complaining about all the lazy whippersnappers, how back in my day, we didn't have all this new-fangled technology, had to walk uphill in the snow to get to school, and the new generation has it easy.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Such a big part of my identify is my profession, I'm not sure. I'd imagine I'd volunteer, travel, spend time with friends and family.

My goal is to retire as soon as we're sure the girlfriend's gun shop is a stable business and we can start drawing profit sharing from it. House and land already paid for and all utilities are off grid, so monthly expenses should be managable.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Enjoy retirement. Maybe buy an RV and travel the country with my wife.
At least you're smart enough not to bring the rugrat with you. Rofl

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Much like DrParasite, I want to be all set up for retirement so I could retire at anytime but who knows if I ever will. While I am still a long way off from retirement I have a feeling I would get bored quickly which would lead me to go insane. I am also not a super social person so it would likely cause me to be a hermit.

We just hired a full time RN at my flight job who retired from the local fire department. He wasn’t a huge fan of the fire department but stayed with it so he has retirement/pension and him and his wife have free health insurance for life. Gotta hand it to him, he did things smart.

I imagine as the years pass I will eventually transition from being a field employee into a management or education role either at my flight company or local ground job.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Oh my God, you're cousin Eddie...
Haha, Cousin Eddie is cool but I prefer my Randy Quaid with a kick *** lawnmower like Cornall. Google it.
At least you're smart enough not to bring the rugrat with you. Rofl
Yes, that’s called vacationing. Two separate entities. Plus, by then I reckon we can help with the grandkids at our leisure.

I do really enjoy what it is I chose to do as a profession, I do. But for me personally, I care not to have any ties to it or signs to the outside world of it once I retire. Almost as if it never existed.

That’s just of course my crazy mind though. Then again, the word retirement is like the word diet, everyone defines it differently.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I've got 24.033 years to plan out my retirement.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I do really enjoy what it is I chose to do as a profession, I do. But for me personally, I care not to have any ties to it or signs to the outside world of it once I retire. Almost as if it never existed.

If you figure out how to do that, let me know.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Retire-wha? I'm still almost 30 years away from being eligible to retire with my Dept's current plan...

So much depends on what life throws my way in those years, like I'm currently single no kids... hope to have that changed by time I actually get around to retiring. I can't even begin to imagine how that would change what I wanna do when that time comes

VentMonkey

Family Guy
If you figure out how to do that, let me know.
Why’s that? I mean, I don’t have that drive to change the industry like I once did perhaps. I get that.

I enjoy being a clinician and the occasional teaching to someone actually interested in learning about the job. It stops there usually though

I’ve outgrown, or checked off most other items in my career. I don’t see how not wanting anything to do with this field anymore could be that impossible.

I half kid when saying it will be forgotten. That is unless, I develop the “old timers” or something.

For me (no jabs, literally just for me) much of maturing has been letting go and learning how to. This has largely included work, and work related issues and concerns.

Does it still occasionally get to me? Well, of course. Hell, just the other day my wife looked at me and asked if I was ok, to which I replied “no” just shy of welling up.

God willing, my family and I are in a much better place these days and I can certainly appreciate utilizing the precious resource that is my amazing wife.

Sorry for the tangent. Anyhow. Retirement. For me I cannot wait to spend it with my wife, our favorite liquor, and paint many new memories in the Golden Years of our lives.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
With a little luck, I'll be able to semi-retire in about 5-7 years, at 50 or 52. Probably closer to 52.

By semi-retire, I mean I'll still have to generate some income, but with the kids well out of the house (we started our family very young), no debt at all, and a decent nest egg stashed away to slowly grow, I hopefully won't have to work more than about 1/3 to 1/2 of the year. Just enough money to pay for insurance / property taxes / utilities / maintenance, groceries, and travel.

OTOH I could be in a financial position to FULLY retire (as in, never work another day in my life unless I choose to) very comfortably by probably 60 if I kept working full time and saving and investing aggressively for just a handful more years.

Realistically I'll probably keep doing anesthesia at least part time until early 60's, and then who knows. I'll probably have a whole litter of grandkids by then and I want to travel quite a bit, too.

Last edited: