What are some medical diseases/problems a patient told you

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I was actually told this by one of the ED RN's because her daughter has it, but: systemic sclerosis.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
*** Burger's Syndrome..

tumblr_m73d5gGoyp1qjemo2o1_250.gif

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Neurocystercosis... probably misspelled it... parasite in the brain that causes seizures and other nasty stuff. usually from third world countries and raw pork...

Spelled right, cerebral tapeworm, as seen on HOUSE,MD. Needn't be raw pork, (that's trichinosis), just poorly treated sewage getting into the food and drinking water.

I saw two cases of trench foot in a week, two cases of toxic shock (one male) due to snorting dirty crank in a week, had a kid cough up a tapeworm segment, white sweat, and a guy we thougbht had been shot times six in the forehead prove to have been beaten with a spike heeled shoe by a hooker.

Nuff?

mycrofft

Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS) terrible side effect of flu vaccine's. Very rare though.

AND I QUOTE from wikipedia:
" All forms of Guillain–Barré syndrome are autoimmune diseases, due to an immune response to foreign antigens (such as infectious agents) that is mistargeted at host nerve tissues instead, a phenomenon called molecular mimicry.[6] The targets of such immune attack are thought to be gangliosides, compounds naturally present in large quantities in human peripheral nerve tissues. The most common antecedent infection is the bacterium Campylobacter jejuni,[7][8] followed by cytomegalovirus (CMV).[9] However, 60% of cases do not have a known cause. Some cases may be triggered by the influenza virus, or by an immune reaction to the influenza virus.[10] There was increased incidence of Guillain-Barré syndrome following influenza immunization during the 1976-1977 swine flu pandemic;[11] however, epidemiological studies since then have demonstrated either an extremely small increased risk following immunization (under 1 additional case per million vaccinations) or no increased risk".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillain–Barré_syndrome

My neice had it and has fully recovered.

mycrofft

HOw about a rollicking case of dysdiadochokinesa?

mycrofft

mycrofft

Never seen one nor heard of one firsthand.

Rettsani

Forum Captain
Oooo I am Sorry...

Lyell syndrome is caused by medications or a staphylococcal infection. It looks like a superficial large area scalding, because of the bubble formation with detachment of the epidermis on 70% of the skin surface.

Last edited by a moderator:

BateMan

Forum Probie
i heard of a condition where moss is grown on the skin.

not those really hairy black birthmarks...moss

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Charcot Marie threw me off the first time I heard it. Told the Doc he had "chocolate marry" and he laughed, corrected
Me and promptly pulled me aside afterwards and we went through some reference texts and learned something .

Nice to have cool doctors who understand that not every provider is a seasoned veteran that "knows everything".

Anjel

Forum Angel
Calciphylaxis.

Nastyyyyy.

saskgirl

Forum Crew Member
We had a frequent flyer in the last service I worked in with CREST syndrome. She would tell us she had this then get exasperated if we asked any questions about it and tell us to "just google it".