Volunteer Fee???

Gabe0725

Forum Crew Member
Went to a training for a volly company this w/e & we were told that this particular company has a member fee each year. The fee is not much but I'm just wondering is this common? Being a new EMT, I'm not familiar w/how volly companies work. Just struk me wierd. We don't get paid but yet we have to pay them every year????!!!!! Just sounded a little wierd to me. Can anyone share some info about this. Thanks.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I don't know much about vollie companys because I refuse to volunteer as an EMT, but that does sound kind of weird

firecoins

IFT Puppet
It is weird and I volunteer.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Never heard of such a thing, but I've heard that many things are WAY different in NJ than anywhere else.

medic417

The Truth Provider
They should pay you for your time not you pay them and get nothing in return. Sounds crooked to me.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
At least one of the vollies in my area compensates their volunteers for each shift worked, in addition to having a number of paid employees. You shouldn't have to pay since you are making them money.

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
Volunteer fire/rescue here and we have yearly dues of a whopping $5. Just have paid the dues without paying it much mind.

medic417

The Truth Provider
BTW, this was a volly in NY. Don't think I mentioned that earlier.

Does not change that it is wrong to take your time and your money. Best advice is run away from them now.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
BTW, this was a volly in NY. Don't think I mentioned that earlier.

I vollied for a short while in Queens, NY for the MVVAC, the Middle Village Volunteer Ambulance Corps. They reimbursed me immediately for my uniform. They also provided equipment, but it remained at the station after shift's end. If you're paying for the right to donate your time, then you're getting played. Pure and simple.

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant
The whole concept of having to pay to volunteer seems a bit strange. The only thing I can ever recall paying for in a volunteer agency is additional uniform parts. (We were provided with one shirt, one pair of pants - if members wanted to purchase additional items, such as sweaters or a second shirt/pants, this came out of their own pocket).

How much is this fee (if you don't mind me asking)? Did they say what the proceeds will go towards?

OP
OP
G

Gabe0725

Forum Crew Member
ANDDDDDDD, we also have to purchase our own uniforms. All we were given was the patch to put on the uniform. And from what I saw when I worked in those uniform stores, the uniforms aren't cheap. And nope, we don't get reimbursted for the uniform.

Lucky I already had 2 BDU pants from my class so I'm clear of that.

The fee is $40 a year.
Honestly, it didn't bother me because it's not much. But it just sounded wierd to me because it's a volly service.

Now like I mentioned in a previous post, I'm also starting w/another volly service @ a different location in NY and this company doesn't require no fees at all. But I believe we have to get our own uniforms. But I will confirm that this week when I go for the training.

reaper

Working Bum
Man, that Chief has a great scam going!

Beer money for the weekend.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Man, that Chief has a great scam going!

Beer money for the weekend.

Heck if he finds enough gullible people might pay the mortgage when you factor how fast emts are being turned out from school. I see it now "Yes you can be a hero just sign your check right here, buy this gear, and we'll call you when you need to sign again".

OP
OP
G

Gabe0725

Forum Crew Member
LOL
IDK, I'm still undecided if I'm going to fully go w/them or not. It's good for the resume but still don't know. I decided before I ever went to this training or for the other volly comp that I would be able to make a donation since they are volly but the fact that this is a requirement still bothers me. Just text my EMT instructor & he did advise me that some volly's do require certain fees but it's not too common. So I still need to decide. Thanks for all the feedback & anymore is appreaciated.
:)

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
The only fee I was ever asked to pay (at a former station) was an application fee of $20. And I don't think that's unreasonable; background checks aren't free, and I can understand a volunteer organization wanting to shell out for someone who isn't even a member yet.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
i pay dues of $10 per year for insurance, and provide my own uniforms. in 5 years i have paid $50 in dues, and about $100 in unifroms. i feel that is a reasonable amount for a service who does not charge at all. if your service charges its patients, then i think there should be some money in the bank to cover your dues.

OP
OP
G

Gabe0725

Forum Crew Member
Yup, the only reason I could see them asking for the fees would be for insurance purposes. For that reason, I definitely understand. This particular company covers a small part of NY so I could see that as a reason.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Did I miss something? I understand paying the application fee for background checks and such, but paying for the right to donate your time? One day, in the future, when I promote high enough that OT isn't necessary, I'd like to lend my services to my community, gratis. I'll be damned if I'm going to be charged to give up my time, even if it's only a few bucks. It's the principle of the matter. Another racket is the vollies paying for EMT class and then requiring you to work all these hours in return. When you do the math, you're working for like 20 cents an hour to pay your debt. You could work at a private for a month and have more than enough to pay for the class.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
annual dues for volunteer FD and EMS agencies are more common than you think. Most go back to when the agencies started 60 years ago, and they have kept up the practice because that's the way they have always done it.

Personally, I wouldn't consider being a volunteer member to an agency that required me to pay fees for the "privilege" of giving up my time to help the organizations.