Volunteer Fee???

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant
I volly and I don't have any fees to pay, they are paying for my further education (fire fighting ect.) and we get paid on call :) all I bought in the beginning was pants and boots.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
My volunteer company charges membership dues of $6 a year (0.50 a month). I don't know anyone that's ever balked at this. That said, I'm not actually clear on where this money goes, whether it goes into general revenue or pays for specific expenses. However, the department pay for 100% of training (up to and including Paramedic), books, background/medical checks, and equipment. I had to buy my own boots and a pair of duty pants, and that's it. Maryland, like other parts of the nation, is seeing some severe cuts in funding for EMS and Fire services. We probably shouldn't have to bear the burden since, as has been noted, we are donating our time and skills, but I don't mind the $6.

spike91

Forum Lieutenant
Sounds off to me. I volunteer in NY also. Base uniform was provided. Any cool goodie extras were bought, but we got our uniform shirts and tech pants free of charge, in addition to all training/etc. Also we get 'meal cards' to go out and get food for when we're the on duty crew.

Trip

Forum Probie
I volunteer in South Western NY and they don't charge any volunteers at any of the companies in my area. I had to provide my own jump bag, but I can restock it from the department supplies. My uniform and such were paid for. A fee to be free help sounds hinky. If we were charged, I'd quit

medic417

The Truth Provider
In the words of some famous dead person " there's a sucker born every minute ".

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
In the words of some famous dead person " there's a sucker born every minute ".

Lets see, my $5 gets turnout gear, at least 12 meals a year , an installation dinner, Class A's , my EMT education, use of a department vehicle to get to said EMT classes and continuing ed, Service award program=pension, happy hour on fridays= open bar, vital signs conference with hotel and per diem check for food in New York city this summer and the list could go on. I think I'm getting a pretty good return on the token $5 they collect.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
My volunteer company charges membership dues of $6 a year...the department pay for 100% of training (up to and including Paramedic)

Hmm, let's see...On the one hand, one could pay $6 and get, among other things, free paramedic training. On the other hand, it's quite easily possible to pay $6,000 for a paramedic course at the community colleges in my area.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Went to a training for a volly company this w/e & we were told that this particular company has a member fee each year. The fee is not much but I'm just wondering is this common? Being a new EMT, I'm not familiar w/how volly companies work. Just struk me wierd. We don't get paid but yet we have to pay them every year????!!!!! Just sounded a little wierd to me. Can anyone share some info about this. Thanks.

Cool! Maybe they can charge per run too.......:glare:

medic417

The Truth Provider
Hmm, let's see...On the one hand, one could pay $6 and get, among other things, free paramedic training. On the other hand, it's quite easily possible to pay $6,000 for a paramedic course at the community colleges in my area.

Back before I saw the light and left the volunteer world behind I got free education, free uniforms, no time commitment to get the free education, and I paid them $0.

Paying them to allow you to give away a service you should be paid for makes no sense.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Lets see, my $5 gets turnout gear, at least 12 meals a year , an installation dinner, Class A's , my EMT education, use of a department vehicle to get to said EMT classes and continuing ed, Service award program=pension, happy hour on fridays= open bar, vital signs conference with hotel and per diem check for food in New York city this summer and the list could go on. I think I'm getting a pretty good return on the token $5 they collect.

How many hours do you put in on a yearly basis, on average? What's the going hourly rate for paid services in your area? Figure out how much you would be making, hypothetically speaking, if you were paid instead of volunteering. Add it up and see if all those fringe benefits exceed that sum. If they do, then the five bucks is money well spent.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

Not so simple. I'll ignore the well paid FF/medic jobs in the area, and use AMR as an example, based in DC. They offer 20/hr for medics. 20x40x52 = 41,600, just to have a ballpark figure.

Let's look at it another way. How many hours would you have to work as a medic to pay off that 6k? It's 300 hours. That's 25 12 hour days, or 37.5 8 hour days. It's 7.5 weeks of full time work. How many shifts a month and years of service does your vollie outfit require to put you through medic school? If it's significantly more than 300 hours for one year (25 hours a month), or 150 hours each year for two years, then you got played.

It's a no-brainer to pay your own way, even if that requires getting a loan. You can work as a medic, and vollie on your terms without obligation. The numbers are even more damning towards the vollies when they offer to pay for the EMT class.

slloth

Forum Crew Member
Depends on what you are trying to get out of it and what you have to pay. Here in CA its not easy to gt on with a volly. But if you can it greatly increases your chances of full time paid. So I would pay a fee if I could get a volly job. I really want to be hired full time and it is one of the most competitive jobs in the nation.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Not so simple. I'll ignore the well paid FF/medic jobs in the area, and use AMR as an example, based in DC. They offer 20/hr for medics. 20x40x52 = 41,600, just to have a ballpark figure.

Let's look at it another way. How many hours would you have to work as a medic to pay off that 6k? It's 300 hours. That's 25 12 hour days, or 37.5 8 hour days. It's 7.5 weeks of full time work. How many shifts a month and years of service does your vollie outfit require to put you through medic school? If it's significantly more than 300 hours for one year (25 hours a month), or 150 hours each year for two years, then you got played.

It's a no-brainer to pay your own way, even if that requires getting a loan. You can work as a medic, and vollie on your terms without obligation. The numbers are even more damning towards the vollies when they offer to pay for the EMT class.

Ah, good ol' opportunity cost is always hiding in the shadows, just one reason why free isn't ever really free.

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
46young,
Volunteering allows me to be an EMT-CC as the cost of living on Long Island requires me to be a Nurse, until I get my Paramedic at some possible future juncture and hopefully get on a Fire Dept.. Which is one of the ideas I'm tossing around in my head lately. As for the amount of time I put in, which varies but is quite substantial as I strive to be a hard worker, I still make out ahead of the game because of the intangibles, i.e. pride in volunteering, serving my community, setting an example of selfless service for my daughters, helping to keep local EMS local. Between being a nurse at a local facility and vollying I can hardly go to the grocery store or post office without running into someone thanking me or updating me on someone I've helped. I don't think I could ever put a price on that nor do I care too.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
Yeah guys, I have to say that - for me anyways - all this talk of opportunity cost, lost wages, and indentured servitude really kind of misses the mark. I will be honest - I have a good job (for now) in an industry not even closely related to medicine. I have no interest in making a career out of Fire/EMS. I was an Eagle Scout back in my youngling days, and I was raised to give back to the community. I had to pay membership dues to the Scouts back then, and I never worried about if I could make more money picking up shifts at Burger King instead (where I worked during my teen years).

We are paying for 2 Master's (myself + wife) ourselves, I'm glad that my $6/yr gets me all the training I can handle. Also, while I do have to achieve a certain number of 'points' in a year, there aren't any minimum hours or any payback required to make up for training provided.

You guys that are already paid EMS, or those who can't afford to donate their time, I can understand the hesitation to pay anything. But if I were a career guy, making career EMS guy money, I'd probably consider my public service taken care of and not volunteer either.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Come to North Carolina, where con-ed EMS courses are free if you're affiliated with a service, and cheap for everyone else!

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief

Well, keep in mind I was quoting another poster, who did not mention any time requirement. So I can't answer that part of the question. However, your argument assumes that the volunteer wasn't going to volunteer, wasn't going to spend those hours at the station anyway.

Given the fact that I'm already spending over 25 hours a month at the station anyway, the no-brainer for me is to take the education for $6 instead of $6,000. So they tell me I have to be at the station 25 hours a month...big deal...I'll tell them that of the ~32 I spend there already, they can have the first 25. And maybe they'll count the extra ~7 or so hours off the end, lol.

himynameismj

Forum Crew Member
Went to a training for a volly company this w/e & we were told that this particular company has a member fee each year. The fee is not much but I'm just wondering is this common? Being a new EMT, I'm not familiar w/how volly companies work. Just struk me wierd. We don't get paid but yet we have to pay them every year????!!!!! Just sounded a little wierd to me. Can anyone share some info about this. Thanks.

NJ EMT that volunteers. That is terrible if that's the case. At my one squad, they will pay YOU based on your ratio of calls and call it an "Allowance Fee". Both squads pay into a retirement fund entitled LOSAP, which grows at a fair rate each year (few thousand). Don't get screwed over.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
46young,
Volunteering allows me to be an EMT-CC as the cost of living on Long Island requires me to be a Nurse, until I get my Paramedic at some possible future juncture and hopefully get on a Fire Dept.. Which is one of the ideas I'm tossing around in my head lately. As for the amount of time I put in, which varies but is quite substantial as I strive to be a hard worker, I still make out ahead of the game because of the intangibles, i.e. pride in volunteering, serving my community, setting an example of selfless service for my daughters, helping to keep local EMS local. Between being a nurse at a local facility and vollying I can hardly go to the grocery store or post office without running into someone thanking me or updating me on someone I've helped. I don't think I could ever put a price on that nor do I care too.

10-15 grand a year for property taxes ain't no joke!

If doing it isn't a burden, and gives you a sense of fufillment, then that's a great thing.

If you're a nurse, then you should be able to challenge the paramedic exam after a some skills training.

Are you thinking about local FD's or are you looking to relocate?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Depends on what you are trying to get out of it and what you have to pay. Here in CA its not easy to gt on with a volly. But if you can it greatly increases your chances of full time paid. So I would pay a fee if I could get a volly job. I really want to be hired full time and it is one of the most competitive jobs in the nation.

That's one problem I have with some regions that are heavily volunteer. If you don't vollie in the local area, you have only a slim chace at best in getting hired. Matter of fact, some depts only hire from the local vollie depts. It's quite the racket. Guaranteed free labor.