Volunteer Fee???

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Well, keep in mind I was quoting another poster, who did not mention any time requirement. So I can't answer that part of the question. However, your argument assumes that the volunteer wasn't going to volunteer, wasn't going to spend those hours at the station anyway.

Given the fact that I'm already spending over 25 hours a month at the station anyway, the no-brainer for me is to take the education for $6 instead of $6,000. So they tell me I have to be at the station 25 hours a month...big deal...I'll tell them that of the ~32 I spend there already, they can have the first 25. And maybe they'll count the extra ~7 or so hours off the end, lol.

Well, if you're going to be there anyway, and have no plans to do anything but for the term requirement, then it's a free 6 grand, I suppose. My comments were intended for those who vollie just because they think they're getting a deal by having the vollies pay for their medic class.

skivail

Forum Crew Member
I woul have no problem paying a modest fee if I knew where that money was going and agreed with its purpose.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Well we don't have any volunteer ambulance services here. Almost all the FD are volunteer but I don't know if they have an annual charge. I do belong to the local volunteer Search and Rescue group. They do have a $10.00 annual fee. With about 50 members it is not a big money maker. The money goes with other donations towards equipment (radios, vehicles, gps devices, insurance etc.). As a member I am supposed to attend 20% of all meetings, training, searches etc. For that I get a $500.00/year tax break on my provincial income tax and a free vehicle registration for the year. (This is also available to volunteer FF). So a pretty fair deal I think.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Whats wrong with me?

I volunteer because my kids are too old to coach in sports now and I like to give back to my town. I also like to learn new skills.

tcripp

Forum Probie
Went to a training for a volly company this w/e & we were told that this particular company has a member fee each year. The fee is not much but I'm just wondering is this common? Being a new EMT, I'm not familiar w/how volly companies work. Just struk me wierd. We don't get paid but yet we have to pay them every year????!!!!! Just sounded a little wierd to me. Can anyone share some info about this. Thanks.

I've actually worked for two volunteer groups where they do have "dues". The dues are minimal ($12 per year for one and $40 a year for the other) and it's just to ensure that you are "serious" about joining the group; kind of like a vested interested.

So, it's not unheard of in my neck of the woods.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I've actually worked for two volunteer groups where they do have "dues". The dues are minimal ($12 per year for one and $40 a year for the other) and it's just to ensure that you are "serious" about joining the group; kind of like a vested interested.

So, it's not unheard of in my neck of the woods.
$40 a year for the privilege of volunteering? I'd rather spend the money on a new job shirt for said organization.

let me ask you, how many career/paid agencies are you aware of require you to pay dues? I mean, a paid agency would want to know that you are "serious" about becoming an employee, and they often invest more in training of new staff.

tcripp

Forum Probie
$40 a year for the privilege of volunteering? I'd rather spend the money on a new job shirt for said organization.

let me ask you, how many career/paid agencies are you aware of require you to pay dues? I mean, a paid agency would want to know that you are "serious" about becoming an employee, and they often invest more in training of new staff.

I believe I understand the point you are trying to make, but the career/paid agencies are billing for the services and therefore have money.

The others are nonprofit organizations. At that point, it's your decision to join...or not.

DrParasite

I believe I understand the point you are trying to make, but the career/paid agencies are billing for the services and therefore have money.
so then dues are being used for operational expenses? ie, you need the dues to put fuel in the trucks and pay for supplies?

this is one of my big issues with volunteer EMS (and other volunteer services): emergency services should not have to BEG FOR MONEY!!!! if you need to ask your own people to pay for supplies, there is a problem.

whether you bill for services (which most paid agencies do) or you are taxpayer funded (which is is how all non-private emergency services should be funded IMO), you should not have to force your volunteers to put their own money into the agency or even spend time off off the ambulance raising funds to maintain operations.

You never see a cops begging for money to put fuel in their cars, or for new uniforms or requiring their officers to buy their handcuffs, so there is no excuse for requiring EMS to do the same.

Sorry, that's just the way I feel about this subject, and after volunteering for more than 10 years, you won't be changing my opinion on this subject.

medic417

The Truth Provider

The others are nonprofit organizations. At that point, it's your decision to join...or not.

Volunteer agencies can bill for their services. Many do. They should fund themselves w/o taking from those willing to donate time.

tcripp

Forum Probie
Sorry, that's just the way I feel about this subject, and after volunteering for more than 10 years, you won't be changing my opinion on this subject.

Don't expect you to.

For the record, I didn't say that I agreed with the practice...just stated that it's common.

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
$5 a year here, which more than pays for my gear/equipment/training and not to mention the food we have from parties and dinners, oh, and the holiday bonus we get from the annual'courtesy' check. Comes out to a few hundred dollars, which will be more this year because of taking many many hours of Essentials.

OP
OP
G

Gabe0725

Forum Crew Member
Some good points on both parts. I guess every volly agency is different. Also spoke to my old instructor who has about 20 to 30 years+ experience in EMS & he also told me that he heard of different volly's having member fees. Guess every agency is different. There may be different things you have to take under consideration for this fee. I don't know for sure being that I'm a new EMT but the location of the agency is on Staten Island NY so the location is not that big. I believe there's only 2 or 3 other volly agencies. Staten Island is not big at all so maybe there's not a big contribution on the part of the community which is maybe why they ask for this fee. Could be also for insurance purposes. If there's not a big contribution from the community and I'm not saying there isn't, but maybe if there isn't then maybe that's another reason why they ask. It doesn't bother me. I was just curious. I'm still going to join even though some good points were made on both parts. Any other points people have, please share & thanks again all!!!!

B)

DrParasite

I don't know for sure being that I'm a new EMT but the location of the agency is on Staten Island NY so the location is not that big. I believe there's only 2 or 3 other volly agencies. Staten Island is not big at all so maybe there's not a big contribution on the part of the community which is maybe why they ask for this fee.
You in staten island? My friend, you must be very new, because you know VERY LITTLE about how NYC EMS works.

FDNY EMS handles maybe half of the 911 calls on Staten Island. The Staten Island Hospitals/Voluntary EMS system handles the other half. Volunteer EMS handles very very few calls and if I remember reading correctly, they jump most of their calls, and are not dispatched by 911.

If you are close to the Outerbridge crossing, cross the river into NJ, and look at volunteering at the Woodbridge First Aid and Rescue Squad , a pretty busy agency that does about 7,000 calls a year between 2 or three ambulances, or any other volunteer EMS agency in middlesex county. If you are closer to the Gothels bridge, try Linden EMS, or any of the agencies in Union County. Much busier, and most of the busy agencies are part paid and part volunteer, which makes for better training for new EMTs.

and the best part, no dues/fees to be a volunteer :p

OP
OP
G

Gabe0725

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the info!
And yup, being a new EMT, I do know VERY LITTLE about the EMS system & how it works. How'd you guess?? LOL

I actually thought about NJ but my cert is for NY. I'm not sure exactly how that would work. I was told once that if I wanted to work for a NJ EMS Agency, I would be able to work a year and then need to go for the national exam. Not sure how true that is but I definitely thought about going into NJ since I'm there a good majority of my time & only in NY mostly on the weekends. Thanks again.

DrParasite

I was told once that if I wanted to work for a NJ EMS Agency, I would be able to work a year and then need to go for the national exam. Not sure how true that is but I definitely thought about going into NJ since I'm there a good majority of my time & only in NY mostly on the weekends.
absolutely 100% incorrect. in fact, you don't even need to become a NJ EMT, you can be on the ambulance in NJ with either a NYS or PA EMT cert. That's per the NNJ department of health, and anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong.

Check your PMs, I sent you a message