Vegans?

pn1019

Forum Ride Along
I don't know if this has been discussed before, I'm still new at this. I'm a vegan and hope to be getting an EMT-B job soon. I was wondering if there are any others out there?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I don't know if this has been discussed before, I'm still new at this. I'm a vegan and hope to be getting an EMT-B job soon. I was wondering if there are any others out there?

I'm a vegetarian not a vegan but here is my take on it.
Bring all your food for your shift :)
It can be nearly impossible to get everyone on the same page when trying to pick a place to eat (our units run with up to 4 people on board) so throwing someone into the mix with special dietary concerns is just a pain in the butt. Also if you are working late shifts it can be impossible to find a place that serves vegetarian (much less vegan) friendly food at 3am. If nothing else keep some vegan energy bars in your pocket at all times in case you get stuck at Mcdonalds.
Depending on the part of the country (or world) you work in get ready for a lot of funny looks. Overall my coworkers have been very cool with the fact that I don't eat meat 4 meals a day.
Other then that I don't see why there would be any problems with being a vegan :)

Jackson

Forum Crew Member
I was vegan for three days. It was a bet. I traded it for a month of vegetarian. haha 12 days and still going strong.

bigbaldguy

We should start a vegie EMS group :)

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
We should start a vegie EMS group :)

I believe that has already been done ....just look for the threads on here about "Why can't I pass the NREMT?" and "This Basic Course is SOOOOOO hard". Oh, wait, you meant "vegetarians" and not "vegetative". :p

bigbaldguy

I believe that has already been done ....just look for the threads on here about "Why can't I pass the NREMT?" and "This Basic Course is SOOOOOO hard". Oh, wait, you meant "vegetarians" and not "vegetative". :p

:)
There's a vegetative group? I am so joining that. We can all sit around and drool at each other.

medic417

The Truth Provider
http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/pict/1904394695564040_3.jpg
1904394695564040_3.jpg

Forrest

Forum Crew Member
I was a vegetarian for a year and 9 months, and I was a vegan for a couple weeks.

At the time I was a fire explorer, but still rode on the squads and did ride time at the station every week. I found out even riding with them that's impossible to get 3 other guys to all go somewhere or order something from the area that was vegan friendly, yet alone vegetarian...long story short I turned back into a carnivore. I will admit though I felt 90% better than I do now when I was a vegetarian.

Wildland FF

Forum Probie
Was a vegetarian for 10 years. Had 1 bite of steak after all that time and realized what I was missing. That very night, I had the best, medium-rare bloody steak, and never looked back.

You just don't go around screwing with 10 thousand years of human gastrointestinal evolution and give up what your body needs. We were designed to eat meat, not "Boca". I must also admit that I feel 100% better being a carnivore than I did when I was a vegetarian.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
My wife has Celica disease.....I personally think that it is much harder to be gluten-free on an ambulance shift than it is to be veggie or vegan....Try finding a restuarant that offers menu items (other than salads) with no wheat, barley or rye used......

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown is a nutritarian in that Brown only eats low calorie, high nutrient food

It has taken Brown over 18 months to transition away from a traditional meat based diet and in that time Brown has eliminated

- All white flour, sugar and bread
- All added sugar
- Nearly all meat
- Nearly all processed food

Brown makes all dishes from scratch and does use small quantities of packaged food.

Such Brown trademark recipies include (all served with a massive serving of super duper salad)

- Black bean chilli hamburgers
- Black bean, onion and rice burritos with home made guacamole
- Anti cancer soup
- Home made falafel with rice and salad served with garlic chilli yoghurt
- Nasty smelling raw vegetable juice

Brown recommends anybody interested have a look at the following documentaries

- Processed People
- Food Inc
- Fast Food Nation
- Simply Raw: Curing diabetes in 30 days
- Eat for Health and Eat to Live by Joel Furhman MD

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Hmmm. What does your Anti Cancer Soup contain? Lol

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Brown recommends anybody interested have a look at the following documentaries

- Processed People
- Food Inc
- Fast Food Nation
- Simply Raw: Curing diabetes in 30 days
- Eat for Health and Eat to Live by Joel Furhman MD

Got links? Non-sausage that is!

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
You just don't go around screwing with 10 thousand years of human gastrointestinal evolution and give up what your body needs. We were designed to eat meat, not "Boca". I must also admit that I feel 100% better being a carnivore than I did when I was a vegetarian.

In what medical text does it say that we were designed, and need to eat meat?:unsure:

Also, I feel 100% better being a vegetarian. :)

firetender: http://www.foodincmovie.com/ It's the only one I'm familiar with, out of the one MrBrown posted.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I'm a vegetarian not a vegan but here is my take on it.
Bring all your food for your shift :)
It can be nearly impossible to get everyone on the same page when trying to pick a place to eat (our units run with up to 4 people on board) so throwing someone into the mix with special dietary concerns is just a pain in the butt. Also if you are working late shifts it can be impossible to find a place that serves vegetarian (much less vegan) friendly food at 3am. If nothing else keep some vegan energy bars in your pocket at all times in case you get stuck at Mcdonalds.
Depending on the part of the country (or world) you work in get ready for a lot of funny looks. Overall my coworkers have been very cool with the fact that I don't eat meat 4 meals a day.
Other then that I don't see why there would be any problems with being a vegan :)

I am not really sure that McDonalds qualifies as either animal or vegatable product. So you might be ok with it.

bigbaldguy

You just don't go around screwing with 10 thousand years of human gastrointestinal evolution and give up what your body needs.

Interesting in the same sentence you bring up evolution and at the same time imply that we should not change our ways. Evolution isn't an end game it is an ongoing process. One day we won't eat meat, it has nothing to do with our wants or desires or even evolution for that matter. It has to do with the fact that we won't be able to afford it. Meat is an expensive protein source both financially and environmentally. The poor in most countries already can't afford it and one day that will most likely apply to nearly everyone. But by all means if you enjoy it, eat it, because one day we will all be eating Boca :)

bigbaldguy

I am not really sure that McDonalds qualifies as either animal or vegatable product. So you might be ok with it.

Amen to that brother!