Vacation to Canada

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Look out the fish is coming to Canada!
Planning a trip to Victoria B.C. I do have a great uncle in the area I intend on visiting, most of my family is from the East Coast. My question, what is worth seeing and doing vs a tourist trap? What areas do I stay out of? I would love to meet some EMS people while visiting and would be willing to do a patch trade or buy a tshirt etc. In do time by next year I intend to visit my family on the east coast side of Canada. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
gonefishing

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
There is no time for a break when you save life's on a daily basis
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji38] last time I went on a short trip to frisco somebody had an emergency in front of my wife and I. We can never escape.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
From what I have heard to really experience Canada you must go to a hockey game and then go to Tim Hortans and drink some maple syrup

OP
OP
gonefishing

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
From what I have heard to really experience Canada you must go to a hockey game and then go to Tim Hortans and drink some maple syrup
LOL! Timis is legendary. My dad speaks highly of their nuclear coffee. I'm first gen American for his side so im eager to try it.

FLMedic311

Forum Lieutenant
If you at any point come across to the mainland let me know. I live just East in Mt. Vernon, I work in King county and would be happy to grab a bite/drink chat and trade a patch!

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I don't have any advice but I'm envious. Drove though part of western Canada in the mid-90's when I left the military in AK and was moving back to the east coast. Have always wanted to go skiing at Whistler and spend some time in Calgary and Vancouver.

Last edited:

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I can vouch for Tim Horton's coffee. They were all over western NYS by the time I left there, and it's one of the few things I miss about NY.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I can vouch for Tim Horton's coffee. They were all over western NYS by the time I left there, and it's one of the few things I miss about NY.

I lived in Buffalo for a bit, miss Tim's too!

Any suggestions for sites in Montreal and Quebec City, folks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

agregularguy

Forum Lieutenant
I lived in Buffalo for a bit, miss Tim's too!

Any suggestions for sites in Montreal and Quebec City, folks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to Montreal this summer, I really loved walking around the Old Port area. Don't remember the name of it, but there was a place that had some reallyyyyy good beers there.
Other than that, walking around the old Olympic complex was pretty neat, the views from the top of Mount Royal can be pretty. My girlfriend at the time also loved the botanical gardens.

cprted

Forum Captain
This is a must from what I've heard from others who have gone to Canada.

Edit: something about timbits and a double-double?
Sure, if you like terrible coffee and mass produced doughnuts ... lol ... but whatever floats your boat ... Timmies is a national institution ... I suppose ...

Victoria is a gorgeous place to visit. Downtown, Chinatown, and the Inner Harbour and full of things to see, good eats, street musicians, including Darth Vader playing the violin ... can't make this stuff up.
Violin Vader Sm.jpg

The Empress has been mentioned, the Provincial Legislature is also right on the water and offers public tours in the summer. The Royal BC Museum, Miniature World, the Wax Museum, etc all staples of Victoria. Around town, Mt Tolmie offers great views and Beacon Hill Park are lovely. A little more removed from the city, I quite like Witty's Lagoon: Nice trails through the woods and around the water.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
If you're willing to drive out, the area just north to the comox valley has beautiful land. As for touristy stuff, eat poutine, don't bother with nanaimo, and visit a First Nations preserve.