Union and EMS

mo2002

Forum Crew Member
So I plan on working with a 911 provider after I finish medic school. Because of family dealings, I'm going to stay in CA or at worst relocate to NV or AZ. I've only worked for private ambulances so my question is, is it rare for 911 providers to not be unionized? I seek it because of the benefits you get in terms of vacation time within your first year.

Only been in the field for 3 years so any insight or suggestions are welcomed.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Not very many private services are unionized. It's more common to be non-Union. Also not all unions will have great benefits in regards to vacation and other things. It's all in what the union employees and company agree to.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Unions within EMS are a rare thing. I was a Teamster for many years, but we were no match against the IAFF and eventually consolidated into Fire/Rescue. You will be hard pressed to find private entities that entertain this or allow it (legal or not there are ways to keep it from happening).

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I have worked privaye, county based, municipal, and non profit and.Never once have I worked for an agency that was.unionized, with the exception of one hospital. Unions in ems, other than iaff, are not common.

OP
OP
mo2002

mo2002

Forum Crew Member
Yea I know benefits come with how they're negotiated. I'm just inquiring if there was anything else out there other than IAFF. For all that we're expected to do within the golden hour, I thought it was more out there. Since I've never done full 911, wasn't sure if the grass was greener since (in Cali and from what I've been told) 911 workers make less hourly.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Yea I know benefits come with how they're negotiated. I'm just inquiring if there was anything else out there other than IAFF. For all that we're expected to do within the golden hour, I thought it was more out there. Since I've never done full 911, wasn't sure if the grass was greener since (in Cali and from what I've been told) 911 workers make less hourly.

Where I am, those of us working 911 for county or municipal services might make a little less an hour than the transfer services, but we make up for it with amazing benefits and a decent pension.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Where I am, those of us working 911 for county or municipal services might make a little less an hour than the transfer services, but we make up for it with amazing benefits and a decent pension.

Or we make more than the private services and get good bene's and a killer retirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Sure rub it in lpl

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
So I plan on working with a 911 provider after I finish medic school. Because of family dealings, I'm going to stay in CA or at worst relocate to NV or AZ. I've only worked for private ambulances so my question is, is it rare for 911 providers to not be unionized? I seek it because of the benefits you get in terms of vacation time within your first year.

Only been in the field for 3 years so any insight or suggestions are welcomed.

Majority of us in CA are Union unless your a mom and pop or work for Faulk and Westmed.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Majority of us in CA are Union unless your a mom and pop or work for Faulk and Westmed.

Or a limited number of AMR divisions

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
I can't speak for all of Canada, but definitely all of Ontario is unionized. (And most of Canada is I think) We have a few private contracted services otherwise entirely 3rd service municipal.

Paid way better than the unregulated IFT industry (they're not legally Ambulances in Ontarion and have zero regulation or oversight) where almost no one is unionized and staff are often not Paramedics. Ditto for our pensions, benefits and vacation.

The labour movement in Canada is a lot weaker than it once was but the public sector has managed to stay strong.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Where are you at in California? All of the primary 911 providers in the San Francisco Bay Area (San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Alameda, Contra Costa, and Santa Rosa) are unionized.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Where are you at in California? All of the primary 911 providers in the San Francisco Bay Area (San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Alameda, Contra Costa, and Santa Rosa) are unionized.
Like local 4911

OP
OP
mo2002

mo2002

Forum Crew Member
In none of those counties lol

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Who you work for in Carson? Ameriscare? All of AMR is union except I think Rancho?, bowers, pacific, doctors, schaefer. All union. Faulk aka CARE Westmed aka Mccormick are all strongly anti union.

OP
OP
mo2002

mo2002

Forum Crew Member
Who you work for in Carson? Ameriscare? All of AMR is union except I think Rancho?, bowers, pacific, doctors, schaefer. All union. Faulk aka CARE Westmed aka Mccormick are all strongly anti union.

Nah I just reside in Carson. I thought McCormick bought out Doctors and Schaefer is considered IFT

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Nah I just reside in Carson. I thought McCormick bought out Doctors and Schaefer is considered IFT

Schaefer runs 911 in the 210 corridor Mccormick is broke. Doctors got bought by amr a long while back.

OP
OP
mo2002

mo2002

Forum Crew Member
Ohhhh it was AMR. OK ok. I was mainly inquiring because I was told union and EMS don't mix. The employment I've had prior to being in EMS, I was a part of unions. There's more pluses to the minuses IMO.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Ohhhh it was AMR. OK ok. I was mainly inquiring because I was told union and EMS don't mix. The employment I've had prior to being in EMS I was a part of unions. There's more pluses to the minuses IMO.

It's the same in ems. A union shop is 10 folds better than a non union shop.