UMass EMS

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Has anyone worked for, is anyone working for, or does anyone know of someone working for/ who has worked for this service?

It seems like a fairly solid setup, and I am curious to know if it's viewed as any more---or less---prestigious than Boston EMS. If so, why or why not?

Their protocols seem to fairly aggressive for what would appear to be an urban EMS system, and if I'd ever up and leave to the greater MA area I would probably forego teching for however many years at Boston EMS for a job here, thanks guys.

http://www.umassmemorialems.com/

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Haven't lived in Massachusetts for a bit, but yes it has a very good reputation. Double medic ambulances for the city of Worcester and town of Shrewsbury, all BLS fire. I've heard that it is a very competitive hiring process, not a lot of turnover going on the there. And they wear some rad leather jackets.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Haven't lived in Massachusetts for a bit, but yes it has a very good reputation. Double medic ambulances for the city of Worcester and town of Shrewsbury, all BLS fire. I've heard that it is a very competitive hiring process, not a lot of turnover going on the there. And they wear some rad leather jackets.

Is BLS fire transporting?

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Not in Worcester of Shewsbury.
How far in relation to Boston is Worcester? Also how does it compare to the locals (Bostonians) with BEMS? BEMS seems traditionally prestigious to some, sort of like FDNY EMS.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
How far in relation to Boston is Worcester? Also how does it compare to the locals (Bostonians) with BEMS? BEMS seems traditionally prestigious to some, sort of like FDNY EMS.
working at FDNY EMS is not prestigious at all, except according to those who work at FDNY EMS.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
How far in relation to Boston is Worcester?
about an hour and 15 minutes driving normally with minimal traffic, realistically about an hour 45 **if my memory serves me well**

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
working at FDNY EMS is not prestigious at all, except according to those who work at FDNY EMS.
Edit for clarification:).

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Edit for clarification:).

Hey, as a tri-stater (CT-NY-NJ), I would say this: I'd rather work at BEMS (starting at $54k, average Boston one bedroom rent ~$2k) than FDNY EMS ($31k, average NYC - all borough - one bedroom rent more like $2700)...and I would rather stay out of Boston...

(Also, BEMS is better organized.)

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Hey, as a tri-stater (CT-NY-NJ), I would say this: I'd rather work at BEMS (starting at $54k, average Boston one bedroom rent ~$2k) than FDNY EMS ($31k, average NYC - all borough - one bedroom rent more like $2700)...and I would rather stay out of Boston...

I'd rather work at Worcester/ UMass EMS:D.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT

ALBANY! :p

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Far enough away that if you're interested in spending much time in Boston you would not want to live in Worcester. Western Boston suburbs are nice, pricey though. The thing with Worcester is that it is not a prestigious city (some may have more choice words for it, but it's probably nicer than Springfield), so I am not sure it can really be compared to Boston, and neither can its EMS service. Worcester is significantly smaller and does not feel like a big city to me.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
The thing with Worcester is that it is not a prestigious city

It's got some amenities though, no? Right behind Boston in population, and several colleges/universities, too.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It's got some amenities though, no? Right behind Boston in population, and several colleges/universities, too.
Sure, and to be clear I grew up in the Boston suburbs and worked only in Boston and the southcoast area. But Colorado Springs has all those amenities as well, and it is far from a big city too, despite being like 400k. Worcester is kind of "gritty" too and is not geographically near much.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Sure, and to be clear I grew up in the Boston suburbs and worked only in Boston and the southcoast area. But Colorado Springs has all those amenities as well, and it is far from a big city too, despite being like 400k. Worcester is kind of "gritty" too and is not geographically near much.
Makes sense. No disagreement on the "gritty" nature of it - I remember my visit to Clark...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Worcester is pretty sketchy, but seems like it would be a fun place to work as a medic. I grew up down the road in CT and worked/lived in Worcester for a while in 2000. It was not a place high on my list of liveable cities. I was happy to get out and move back to St. Louis.

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I just found it interesting as this system seems fairly aggressive for A) being what would appear to be an urban setting overall (RSI protocol), and B) sort of overlooked perhaps?

Then again, I have no real working knowledge of what EMS on the other coast is like. I figured this was worth sharing even if someone else from that area had never heard of them, then they may be worth taking a look at.

Also, their HEMS program seems pretty solid, so perhaps there is some rural settings that they respond to.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I just found it interesting as this system seems fairly aggressive for A) being what would appear to be an urban setting overall (RSI protocol), and B) sort of overlooked perhaps?

Then again, I have no real working knowledge of what EMS on the other coast is like. I figured this was worth sharing even if someone else from that area had never heard of them, then they may be worth taking a look at.

Also, their HEMS program seems pretty solid, so perhaps there is some rural settings that they respond to.
The UMASS Lifeflight and EMS are two pretty separate entities as far as I understand. The HEMS program was/is very well regarded, though they no longer fly with physicians. There are only two helicopter services in MA (and only an additional three in New England), and the smaller number of helicopters seems to make for more impressive programs.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief

I think it may be overlooked because of location - "why Worcester when Boston is so close (and pays relatively well)?", if you will.

EMS on the east coast, I can't imagine it differs much from the west coast, honestly - ranges from as liberal as Kern County to as rigid and silly as LA County (though the most liberal EMS systems are probably in Texas, I'd wager).

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
But Worcester. Oof. It was kind of a hellhole when I was there.

Lots of East Coast EMS is pretty good. The place where started in 1988 (Jesus, I'm old!) is a pretty decent private. They run ALS intercept trucks, have decent gear, pay okay. Uniforms are ugly as sin though. (http://americanamb.com/)

If I had to move back to CT though, I'd try to get a job at either Lawrence + Memorial Hospital's Paramedic intercept service or at Middlesex Hospital's service.