UMass EMS

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I really miss the California I remember, but I've been away for a decade and I was a kid. professionally, Texas offers a lot of opportunities that other states just don't, and I like that. paramedic-initiated blood transfusions and ketamine, rsi.....if I said those in California the state would shred my license, but here, the state says "go for it".

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Worcester is pretty sketchy, but seems like it would be a fun place to work as a medic. I grew up down the road in CT and worked/lived in Worcester for a while in 2000. It was not a place high on my list of liveable cities. I was happy to get out and move back to St. Louis.
wait a minute...... you consider Worcester to be sketchy, but happily moved to St. Louis? http://fox2now.com/2016/09/28/st-louis-tops-list-of-25-most-dangerous-cities-in-america/ (Although I can't believe this list is entirely accurate, because none of the historically dangerous cites of Philly, Newark, Camden, Irvington, Flint, etc made the list, so it's possible that certain cities may have fudged their numbers to look better)

For the record, I prefer working in sketchy areas, and think they tend to be busier and more fun (yes, enjoying my job is something I look at regarding a potential employer). As long as you pay me well, treat me like a person instead of a number, and keep me busy but still let me pee and eat as needed, I'm pretty happy.

That all being said, while I prefer working in sketchy areas, I will definitely enjoy living in the peach and quiet suburbs.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Yeah, I lived in a nice section of STL, and worked in radio there. I rarely saw any of the squalor. Although, my ex-wife was from Granite City... so there was that. :)

Worcester was just a pit all the way around. Zero redeeming qualities.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
wait a minute...... you consider Worcester to be sketchy, but happily moved to St. Louis? http://fox2now.com/2016/09/28/st-louis-tops-list-of-25-most-dangerous-cities-in-america/ (Although I can't believe this list is entirely accurate, because none of the historically dangerous cites of Philly, Newark, Camden, Irvington, Flint, etc made the list, so it's possible that certain cities may have fudged their numbers to look better)

For the record, I prefer working in sketchy areas, and think they tend to be busier and more fun (yes, enjoying my job is something I look at regarding a potential employer). As long as you pay me well, treat me like a person instead of a number, and keep me busy but still let me pee and eat as needed, I'm pretty happy.

That all being said, while I prefer working in sketchy areas, I will definitely enjoy living in the peach and quiet suburbs.
There are nice parts in pretty much every city...

BobBarker

Forum Lieutenant
Worcester is pretty sketchy, but seems like it would be a fun place to work as a medic. I grew up down the road in CT and worked/lived in Worcester for a while in 2000. It was not a place high on my list of liveable cities. I was happy to get out and move back to St. Louis.

I like that video, but why are they going code 3 with a stable patient? Same with Episode 4. Patient complains of Dizziness in Ep 4, paramedic says hes very stable yet transports him code 3.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
I like that video, but why are they going code 3 with a stable patient? Same with Episode 4. Patient complains of Dizziness in Ep 4, paramedic says hes very stable yet transports him code 3.
In my experience w/ one company L&S on all calls was a department-wide policy that providers were either afraid of disobeying or were berated for doing so by their peers.

So you ended up with total bollocks such as:
"It's a 911 call, they get lights and sirens."
"Why do you think this lady deserved to go to the hospital slower?"
"If you have lights on, you need sirens."

In short, company culture or you don't know better.

Last edited: