Transporting Infants...

How do you transport infants to the hospital?

• In parent's arms

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • In a car seat

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Using Pedi-mate or something similar

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • As best we can on the cot

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other...please describe.

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
How does your agency transport infants to the hospital?

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
cant do the "pt in moms arms" thing anymore. has to be in an approved carseat device. the pedimate was the best we came up with. small and easily storable. easy to use and reasonably priced.

BloodNGlory02

Forum Crew Member
we have pedi-mates in all 3 squads but our newest has the childseat in the airway seat.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
We too have the pedi mate in each truck. Liability wise, any service that does not carry at least a car seat is asking for litigation. even f you use the one that they were in if involved in MVC. (It could be damaged/ or malfunction)

R/r 911

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Depends for us. We have the car seat built into our captains chair, but that isn't used by many very often. If the kid can sit up on its own, then I always try to put them in it. But most often the mom holds the kid. We transported a 6 month old not to long ago with the mom on the stretcher, breast feeding.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Mostly we transport kids in ambulances :p but being serious, we us the mom if the child is under about 3 due to our trucks being incompatable with child seats(at least the older trucks). We have child seats built into our captains chair, and if need be we have pedi-boards on the truck that we can secure them with. If they are big enough to be on the cot and have both straps hold them, then on the cot they go.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
In mother's arms is NOT good... it is EVIL. I WILL have a problem with anyone who does that at my service. Every rig either has a pedi-mate or an inflatable child safety seat.

The inflatable seat can be secured to the Strecher or the Captians' Chair, depending on if it is the Parent or baby who is sick.

I once did a transport for a flight team with Mom, Dad and a newborn. The flight team had a papoose restraint harness thing for the baby and Mom... that seemed to work.

Seriously... a kid in Mom's arms becomes a projectile when you are in a collision.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
As of a few months ago my service still transports with a ped in the mothers arms. It's not about money, as we have the newest and latest equipment, and purchase new equipment without hesitation, but I'm not sure anyone has ever really brought it up.

Epi-do

I see dead people
We have the integrated child restraint in the captains chair, or I have strapped the child's car seat to the cot. We never, never, never transport a child in mom's/dad's arms.

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
How we transport infants is dependent on the scanario we find ourselves in. If the infant is screamin' like a banshee but no real SERIOUS injury involving head/neck/back then we'll have the care giver (mother, father, babysitter, whatever) hold the child on their lap and strap the caregiver in. If spinal injury is suspected and the child is out of their car seat we'll board them if we can and if the child is NOT out of the car seat we'll just take the whole car seat and strap it into one of our seats. We don't have ONE single way to transport, it's scanario specific.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I wonder why EMS allows "parents to hold infants" ? We preach about the safety and mechanical effect that "no one could safely hold a child during an impact" and then we allow it ? Does the service not realize the liability ?

Just because it has AMBULANCE on the side does not remove the dangers.

Sorry, this is a burr for me. Eleven years ago, I did a study of "Use of car seats in emergency services" and found out most states exempted Police, Fire Departments, and yes even EMS from having children protected. What hypocrisy !

There is no reason for EMS not to have some form of child carrier device .... period. I don't care if the kid is screaming or fighting..I strap them down and place them where they are safe... they are my responsibility and liability. If injury should occur, it is going to go against me.. I much rather deal with a little tears and screams .. smiling an knowing they will be okay. Personally, I much rather hear the screams than the deafness of those unrestrained ones that had been tossed and projected around..

C'mon folks.. we strap and secure our adult patients for a reason... the same should be true for children.

R/r 911

stridor

Forum Ride Along
I just refuse

I won't transport a child that can not be restrained on the litter. I work for a non-emergency transport company that is lucky to have a backboard on the truck much less a pedi-mate. So I just refuse to transport.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Sad that it must come to that, but sometimes we need to look at what is best for ourselves...

FF894

Forum Captain
Good post. As a matter of fact, I just recently passed my certification to install child restraint systems in cars. The 40+ hour course had a good deal of crash dynamics and I actually learned a lot specifically in children and related injuries. So, obviously, one of my first questions was how do you properly secure a child restraint in an ambulance. The answer? Nobody knows! The truth is that it is so unsafe no matter how you do it that nobody will give a reccomendation. Every combination is a disaster in collision. However, we must transport so thats why there is nothing that says "don't" do it. It is just not spoken of. With that said, god forbid the ambulance was ever struck by a motor vehicle (we know our driving wouldn't be to blame) it would be devastating to the child in a proper restraint, let alone out of one. Knowing what I know now about just how lethal a collision can be to a child, I plan to strap the kid down as best I possibly can in the restraint on the cot. Although this is still very dangerous, it is the least of all evils.

FF894

Forum Captain
Ever try to secure a 2 year old who is not hurt (bad) to a pedi-board? Yeah right! Better to leave them out then try to make them stay and hurt themselves more....

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I wonder why EMS allows "parents to hold infants" ? We preach about the safety and mechanical effect that "no one could safely hold a child during an impact" and then we allow it ? Does the service not realize the liability ?

Just because it has AMBULANCE on the side does not remove the dangers.

Sorry, this is a burr for me. Eleven years ago, I did a study of "Use of car seats in emergency services" and found out most states exempted Police, Fire Departments, and yes even EMS from having children protected. What hypocrisy !

There is no reason for EMS not to have some form of child carrier device .... period. I don't care if the kid is screaming or fighting..I strap them down and place them where they are safe... they are my responsibility and liability. If injury should occur, it is going to go against me.. I much rather deal with a little tears and screams .. smiling an knowing they will be okay. Personally, I much rather hear the screams than the deafness of those unrestrained ones that had been tossed and projected around..

C'mon folks.. we strap and secure our adult patients for a reason... the same should be true for children.

R/r 911

This is the reason I started this post, because we just got our Pedi-Mates on our ambulances after trying for almost a year. Some people just didn't see the need for them, and said that the parents could hold the child to keep it calm.

islandgal

Forum Crew Member
ffemt8978 & Rid-

I also have done the CPS course. Nothing I hate worse than seeing Mom with the baby on her lap. I wish we could make then get out, bench press 300lbs- (10lb baby x 30 mph) then let them rethink the situation.
I think ambulances are lumped in with the school bus, which we are taught is designed to be safe without restraints. Okay.....:rolleyes:

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
ffemt8978 & Rid-

I also have done the CPS course. Nothing I hate worse than seeing Mom with the baby on her lap. I wish we could make then get out, bench press 300lbs- (10lb baby x 30 mph) then let them rethink the situation.
I think ambulances are lumped in with the school bus, which we are taught is designed to be safe without restraints. Okay.....:rolleyes:

Your math is a wee bit off:

Force=Mass x Acceleration x Acceleration

where acceleration is the change in speed over time. Using your 10lb baby, at 30mph with a ONE second deceleration time (for ease of calculation), this is what you get (the mph has been converted to fps)
10 x 44 x 44 = 19,360 ft-lbs of force!!!

I don't know about you, but I can't hold a baby in that situation.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
ffemt8978 & Rid-

Yep.

Why is it that our co-workers were up in arms when Brittney Spears did it, but we do it every day?