Transporting Infants...

How do you transport infants to the hospital?

• In parent's arms

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • In a car seat

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Using Pedi-mate or something similar

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • As best we can on the cot

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other...please describe.

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters

bkelley

Forum Probie
Depends for us. We have the car seat built into our captains chair, but that isn't used by many very often. If the kid can sit up on its own, then I always try to put them in it. But most often the mom holds the kid. We transported a 6 month old not to long ago with the mom on the stretcher, breast feeding.

Oh no.... please don't ever do that again

bkelley

Forum Probie
I wonder why EMS allows "parents to hold infants" ? We preach about the safety and mechanical effect that "no one could safely hold a child during an impact" and then we allow it ? Does the service not realize the liability ?

Just because it has AMBULANCE on the side does not remove the dangers.

Sorry, this is a burr for me. Eleven years ago, I did a study of "Use of car seats in emergency services" and found out most states exempted Police, Fire Departments, and yes even EMS from having children protected. What hypocrisy !

There is no reason for EMS not to have some form of child carrier device .... period. I don't care if the kid is screaming or fighting..I strap them down and place them where they are safe... they are my responsibility and liability. If injury should occur, it is going to go against me.. I much rather deal with a little tears and screams .. smiling an knowing they will be okay. Personally, I much rather hear the screams than the deafness of those unrestrained ones that had been tossed and projected around..

C'mon folks.. we strap and secure our adult patients for a reason... the same should be true for children.

R/r 911

Amen

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
And Bkelley for the win, with not one but two useless follow up posts on a thread only ten years old.

bkelley

Forum Probie
And Bkelley for the win, with not one but two useless follow up posts on a thread only ten years old.

It is a conversation that needs to keep happening. There is so much mis and mal-information out there on these topics. If they are old, and you do not want them to be found, I suggest deletion, but this isn't my forum.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

bkelley

Forum Probie
Which coincidentally is rated from 4-99 lbs as was stated as a current recommendation by the necroposter in a similar thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

The recommendation is 5 - 99 pounds, but yes the ACR-4 is one product that covers the whole range. The new Ferno pedimate plus will do the same, or a combination of devices could accomplish the task as well. My personal favorite was the Safeguard by IMMI (20 - 99lbs), but you can't find those for sale nowadays. I saw it in action in an ambulance MVC once, and it worked beautifully. Crying kid, some bumps and bruises (from the medic that flew around the back of the ambulance like a bingo ball), 2 crew to ED one critical... kiddo snugly attached to cot.

bkelley

Forum Probie
Which coincidentally is rated from 4-99 lbs as was stated as a current recommendation by the necroposter in a similar thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Oh my... I will be the first to admit that sometimes... stuff happens and you do what you gotta do. Those times should be the exception, not the rule. I had heard of the DC one, but not the other. It is easy to armchair quarterback these events, but at some point you ask the questions, decide if in that case it was right or wrong, learn something and move on.