Transitioning to urban EMS

CMHills

Forum Probie
Ok, so I've done a lot of searching around and have answered a few of my own questions, but there are still a few things I'm curious about. See, I'm used to functioning in a wilderness setting, so I'm accustomed to doing things a certain way that may or may not be kosher or normal in an urban setting.

First thing is headlamps. I carry one all the time when I'm working, and they're great for a number of reasons. However, I've noticed that there seems to be some tacit rules about what urban EMTs ought to carry. Question is, if I show up with a headlamp, am I going to get laughed out of town? I'd rather just avoid that if I'm going to end up carrying a handheld anyway.

Second is boots. I know, I know, there are at least 9000000000 threads on boots around here, and I hate to start another one. BUT, shamefully, I'm going to anyway. I've done my research both here and around the blogosphere and have come up short. I'm having trouble solving the toe scuffing problem. The only boots I've found that have rubber around the toe are firefighting boots and are just over the top for my job. Does anyone know of a pair of boots that won't scuff, make me look like robocop, or break the bank? Or is that just too tall an order?

Thanks everyone.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
First do you really care what others think? If an item better prepares you for doing your job then there really isn't an issue with putting it in your duty bag I would think.

As to boots whether your mountain or urban you still need a good sturdy protective boot. There are plenty of overpasses to traverse I would imagine. And if you go to the burbs even more so. Scuffing is just part of the job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
My 5.11 8 inch side zips are comfy as hell. 120 ish bucks and with a quick polish every 2-3 weeks they look fine. Over a year in the field and they're just now getting to the point that replacing them crossed my mind, not gonna happen yet though!

I carry a handheld light, I know medics that have headlamps.

Like corky said, who cares what others think of you?

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Do what you're comfortable with. If anyone else thinks its dumb so what.

Ive started carrying a Black Diamond Storm headlamp instead of a flashlight. It's one less thing on my belt and frees up my hands for tasks. Gotten a few funny looks from others on scene but it's functional and that's what matters to me.

Personally I like Haix boots. The model I wear have a rougher finished toe cap that hides scuffs and wear pretty well. Can't polish it to a shine but it's functional and a smooth toe boot would look pretty bad by now.

If it works for you do it.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Why get funny looks when you can just have a firefighter hold your flashlight? :cool:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Why get funny looks when you can just have a firefighter hold your flashlight? :cool:

I wouldn't use a headlamp. That's just weird a bit. I have no trouble with useing my little AA LED light that goes in my leatherman. It's plenty of light for me.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I have a headlamp on my extrication helmet. It's a big help at nighttime MVCs. I also have a surefire G2x that I carry on my radio strap. Carry what works for you.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I have done a few years as a medic in a occupational industrial setting and in a remote medical setting. The hardest thing for me going back to an busy urban environment is loss of skills. Its amazing how shabby some hands on skills can get. Skills you may need to preform on a routine basis in busy urban EMS that you may not use often in the wilderness or remote medical very often or ever. Brush up on your old text books but also be prepared for those hands on skills. Also your patient demographics will be completely different and this will also effect what I said above.

In terms of boots, ya do a forum search on here. My only suggestion is that if you have long shifts or a station get boots with the side zipper so you can get them on and off quickly. However this is not needed if you just show up for a 9-5 work day with no station. I also suggest getting some with a safety toe.

PS: Yes I would laugh at you if you showed up with a headlamp on unless it was a situation where we needed a flash light and did not have one. That is just me though

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
CMHills

CMHills

Forum Probie
I appreciate everyone's replies. To those who wonder why I care what others think, I don't. I just figure that kind of grief gets in the way of getting the job done.

As for the boot question, I've just discovered that what I'm used to wearing in a remote/backcountry setting doesn't meet uniform requirements for urban systems. I don't mind scuffing (if I did I would have left this industry a long time ago), but supervisors I've talked to seem to think that it's the mark of the devil.

I think I'll just go with the firefighter option. :p

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
a headlamp? really? you are just starting a new job, and are just asking to be made fun of by EVERYONE.

That being said, I have a headlamp on my helmet. But it doesn't get worn on most medical calls.

I do, however advocate having a few flashlights. I have a couple cheap tactical flashlight sfrom home depot (50/50 chance of failure, due to poor design, batteries dead, and again poor design), I have a $65 fenix flashlight that has a pouch on my belt, and another flashlight that hangs from my radio strap.

As a side note, I don't like side zips for urban EMS. suburban, sure, when you are taking your boots off to rest, but for urban EMS, you are typically too busy to nap (at least where I have worked). Get something that you can work in cold and hot weather, or invest in two pairs off boots. waterproofing is a must.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

JPINFV

Gadfly
If someone laughs at something useful, then laugh back. I rock a stethoscope holster at the hospital and the only thing I've gotten was a little fun poked at me (on the other hand, it beats having the weight on your shoulders). Same thing with the shears holster when I was working at a waterpark.

If you have a head lamp, I wouldn't argue against taking it on the ambulance, but only bust it out when it's reasonable that you'll need a flashlight.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
If someone laughs at something useful, then laugh back. I rock a stethoscope holster at the hospital and the only thing I've gotten was a little fun poked at me (on the other hand, it beats having the weight on your shoulders). Same thing with the shears holster when I was working at a waterpark.

If you have a head lamp, I wouldn't argue against taking it on the ambulance, but only bust it out when it's reasonable that you'll need a flashlight.

I gotta think the additional weight of that stethoscope would just about break your neck ... What, with the weight of the whole world on your (almost) doctorly shoulders. Thank goodness someone invented the stethoscope holster.

:).

Moonstream27

Forum Ride Along
Tip #1: RUN AWAY! jk, there's never a dull moment.

Tip #2: don't worry so much about the boots, my Gall's have made it a few years with years ahead of them. I don't know much about wilderness but you'll really appreciate ankle support for urban, it saves you from the embarrassment of spraining your ankle when you occasionally face-plant on scene.

Tip #3: In terms of what to carry, when I have something embarrassing but useful I just tuck it in my giant pockets, nobody knows what's in there until it's useful :)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Lose the machete and bear rifle too.

sweetpete

Forum Lieutenant
On the boot issue: I was wearing 5.11s (since the city was providing them). They were plenty comfortable.

But now, I wear Redwing 4717s (since the city is reimbursing us for them). They're more expensive, but I think they look and feel nicer. Especially as they get broken in.

Either way, I would HIGHLY recommend paying whatever cost for REALLY good boots, since we spend so much time on our feet anyways.

Take care,