Top states to be an EMT or Paramedic

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief

VentMonkey

Family Guy
assuming you mean sussex county DE, I fail to see what geography has to do with it...
Well, given the fact that it seems likely that there is more of a rural interface within Sussex's coverage area, and much more time to adequately perform the duties set forth by your employer, and within your scope there, whereas in Seattle I would imagine the scene to ED time is much more urban---this would be a personal preference.
I get a valid point, but not even a like on my post?
Lol ease up, hermano. I'll bypass the seemingly cantankerous post, and presume that there was much more wit behind it. It's hard to read through people's tones via post comments alone.

Last edited:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
kind of an odd tangent, but why not? Assuming you are already a paramedic, wouldn't P school be easy, since you already know and passed the course?

Could it be a waste of your time? sure, but you're getting paid during the entire process. Assuming you know every thing, that it should be a breeze, and if you don't (maybe your program skipped a few things), then you can learn new stuff and be brought up to "their standards."

Many municipal fire departments send every new hire through their academy again, regardless of if you are qualified or not. How is this any different?
I invested time and money into myself to become a paramedic. It screwed around with my life and I have no interest in doing it again. I doubt I would have any issue passing it again. Paramedic school is an obstacle that needs to be overcome to be successful in EMS, why would you do it twice and delay your success?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
IDK, everyone having the same high clinical standards, everyone on the same page in terms of operations, and a rigorous training process where you can make 110k after 3 years and you primarily treat only ALS patients?

Or think of it this way: if everyone wasn't on the same page, and held to the same high standards, do you think they would still have such a positive reputation an a high performing EMS agency?

Well, it makes sense to assume that the reason they have such a good reputation for being high performers is because everyone is on the same page and held to high standards. I'm just not sure it follows that the reason everyone is on the on the same page and held to high standards is because they all went to paramedic school twice. Maybe it is. But even if it is, that's certainly not the only way to do it. There are too many other high performing EMS agencies (that don't require even experienced paramedics to go through their paramedic program) to think so.

I'm not dissing their system. It sounds like it works well for them. I'm just saying that I can very much understand why many paramedics wouldn't want to work there.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Personally, I can't stand being made to jump through unnecessary hoops. I would not necessarily find having to repeat paramedic school insulting, but certainly a needless waste of time and resources, and therefore a significant deterrent to applying at any agency that would require it. I also have to wonder what the motivation behind such a requirement is. If it is to mold everyone into an identical drone in terms of the way that they practice, then it definitely would not be the place for me.

Bigger picture, sending every new employee to school for an entire year just to refresh their knowledge and "get everyone on the same page" seems like a collosal waste of resources, and it seems unlikely that King Co can't find more pressing ways to use that money and personnel.

REMI did a great job in summarizing ALOT of my opinions about repeating P school in this post. It also doesn't look like I am the only one on the thread with these feelings. On top of Remi's points, I have worked in many different aspects of medicine in my career, long enough to know you never know everything in medicine. That being said, I have also had the opportunity to teach with many different instructors throughout the years, many of which teach P programs either full or part time. During that time I have yet to meet a Paramedic program instructor I feel like if I sat through their entire program that I would gain much out of it. I enjoy being challenged, and either having discussions with, or education/lectures coming from someone who has at least halfway comparable experience and/or knowledge as I have achieved during my career. Regardless of getting paid (1/2 yearly salary) to sit in class or not, I would not find it enjoyable to be lectured for 6 months to a year by someone who likely has less knowledge, and likely comes from strictly 911 background, at this point in my life when my focus is critical care medicine. Has nothing to do with it being "Easy" and everything to do with not a great usage of my time. I would rather spend that time working towards an MBA or something I might use in the future.

I am strictly speaking my opinion, and realize that many medics may enjoy this, or benefit from this education depending on backgrounds and experience levels. It's just not for me, nor I feel like is for many people operating at certain levels in their careers.. Again, my opinion, and not knocking anyone who has done it, or is thinking about it.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
^this. Same boat here.

FLMedic311

Forum Lieutenant
Thank you @VentMonkey, I also humbly accept you 7/10!:)

For the people who say it is not for them, I want to say that I totally get it! It is not going to be and without a doubt, I imagine if a poll was done that the majority of people would not be for it. But also understand that we do hire EMTs that are going through Medic school for the first time, and as for the experienced provider, there are not many that can claim they have performed 30 intubations 350+ IV starts in their career, and even if they have no one can claim they would not benefit from that experience!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Lol ease up, hermano. I'll bypass the seemingly cantankerous post, and presume that there was much more wit behind it. It's hard to read through people's tones via post comments alone.
a whole lot of wit.
But also understand that we do hire EMTs that are going through Medic school for the first time
If I wanted to move to Seattle, and I love to work for 6 months in medic school, for a good agency, and have them pay me and guarantee me a job once I completed the program
and as for the experienced provider, there are not many that can claim they have performed 30 intubations 350+ IV starts in their career, and even if they have no one can claim they would not benefit from that experience!
In a career? I know paramedics that do that many IV starts every year, and between 15 and 30 intubations (some more than others).... Then again, they work in a tiered system, and only see ALS patients....

And I totally understand why a person wouldn't want to go through medic school again; I mean, what if you failed? and yes, I also agree that your time could be better spent working on your masters. But I haven't been paid my hourly rate by my employer to get my masters yet......

I do think both NC and NJ are great states to be a medic (but it varies greatly by what agency you are working for, some are beter than others).... NJ is ok to work as an EMT, but as I asked earlier, it all depends on how you define a top state to a medic or EMT. NC sucks to be an EMT when you are on the ambulance, it's much better on the Engine (but the pay isn't as good).

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Indiana was pretty good when I lived and worked there, Utah has some weird issues but ok.

I personally like working for the government; lots of places to work, good to great pay, good to great benefits: I work 48 hours straight and I am off 5 days; make over $55k (not counting overtime). Full Medical, dental and vision insurance; coverage and rates depend on what plan you choose.