Time Management: Studying for Medic school with a Fulltime EMT job

OP
OP
LoganBrogan

LoganBrogan

Forum Probie
Do what works for you, but don't overdo it. Don't study 8 hours straight just because you set an arbitrary number. In my fire academy I've caught myself trying to finish a chapter but found myself nodding off in between reading the same page 3 or 4 times....sire I could spend another hour trying to force myself to finish "reading" the chapter(s) I wanted to read that night before going to bed, or I could recognize that in that state my brain is retaining the info just as effectively as if I was goofing off online instead, so it's better to go to bed then and wake up a bit earlier before class and do some reading/studying in the morning.

So yeah, have the drive and discipline to set out blocks of study time, but don't forget to listen to your body and don't over do it because of an arbitrarily set number.

Figure out what works for you, what works for me may not work for you and vice versa. It's ok to take a few weeks of actually having to go to class and study to figure it out, and if that turns out different than what you have planned now before the actual stress of school, that's ok too.
Wow that’s great advice! Thank you man, I appreciate it!

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Calm down Logan lol! You did fine in fire academy, and like I told you then, you were like one of maybe 5 guys I knew would make it through medic school. Let me know if you need help.

OP
OP
LoganBrogan

LoganBrogan

Forum Probie
Calm down Logan lol! You did fine in fire academy, and like I told you then, you were like one of maybe 5 guys I knew would make it through medic school. Let me know if you need help.
Is this Grant?! Lol and thanks dude! Just getting tips from other medics outside of PS you know? Haha

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I went through medic school at 39; working FT+ (36/48 hr weeks base {but closer to 60 hours was normal}); PLUS PT at fire department 24-36 hours a week (they paid for medic school had to continue working there.
Study on free time, and between runs; (I worked busy trucks and active, busy 911 service).

OP
OP
LoganBrogan

LoganBrogan

Forum Probie
I went through medic school at 39; working FT+ (36/48 hr weeks base {but closer to 60 hours was normal}); PLUS PT at fire department 24-36 hours a week (they paid for medic school had to continue working there.
Study on free time, and between runs; (I worked busy trucks and active, busy 911 service).
Nice! What was your outcome like? Did you rank high in your class?