The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

ggpjon

Forum Ride Along
Okay, thank you. I think the reason I'm choosing this is because then I'll learn how to medicate myself, since myself, hates going to hospitals. Lol. And of course, to help people. I get excited being at the scene of something huge, don't know why.

hey hey now..if you want to 'medicate' yourself i suggest looking into becoming a doctor. EMS is prehospital; meaning we help in the stabilization of a patient until arrival of a hospital. EMS has a very limited scope in the administration of medication compared to docs/nurses.

hope this helps!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

cm4short

Forum Lieutenant
I'm a 25 year EMT going through medic school now. Graduation is in December and I'm patiently waiting. I got about 5+ years under my belt. 4 of those years have be with AMR So Cal. I also have some volunteer work and experience working with another 911 provider.

EMT Fan15

Forum Crew Member
hey hey now..if you want to 'medicate' yourself i suggest looking into becoming a doctor. EMS is prehospital; meaning we help in the stabilization of a patient until arrival of a hospital. EMS has a very limited scope in the administration of medication compared to docs/nurses.

hope this helps!! :)

I didn't mean that way, like, just basic First Aid stuff- And I have a feeling I'm skipping school today. My throat hurts way too much. D=

bugaboo2

Forum Ride Along
Hi

Well I'm always bad at introducing myself! But I'll give it a go!

My name is Liz, I'm 26 years old from Calgary Alberta. My goal in life has always been to work in EMS as a Paramedic . When I finished High school I got a good job ( not EMS related at all ) I figured I would do this for a year or two until I had the money for school... Well the other night I had a real heart to heart with myself. And realized I have been at my job now for almost 7 years.. YIKES! No more waiting, I need to do it and do it now other wise I will wake up and another 7 years will have gone by.

I have looked into getting my EMR many times over the past few years but just haven't done it. So I made the decision now is the time I can't keep putting it off. I have gotten to comfortable in the job I have and I'm missing out on a passion inside of me to help people. I know it will be allot of hard work since I'm still working full time, I have a 1 1/2 year old son. But some short term pain for some long term gain is how I'm looking at it.

So I called the local SJA and signed up for my first aid and C CPR they got me in this weekend! And I have been looking at schools around where I live to do my EMR.

Mount Royal University/ KMI has classes starting Nov 7th so I called them this morning and got some more info and I plan on signing up on Monday once I have my first aid and CRP in hand!

I'm over the top thrilled, and nervous at the same time. Because this will be a huge change for me. But one that I'm just over the top to make!

I would like to go on some ride alongs, but am a bit unsure who I should contact about doing so?

Any advice or words of wisdom would be totally appreciated as I'm starting on this life long journey!

timberwolfemt

Forum Ride Along
Level of EMS? EMT-B
ST=tarted in EMS at age 19
How long in EMS ~13 years
Started at a Privaye ambulance company, currently work as EMT for the Coast Guard, going back to the Private company in Jan
Will be taking Paramedic class next august

cfink911

Forum Probie
Northwest Arkansas EMT-B Student

My name is Chris but everybody just calls me by my last name, Fink.
I'm a laid back, 22yo EMT-B student.
Been a volunteer firefighter for about 3 years now.

I grew up in Washington D.C. and moved here to Northwest Arkansas in 2001.

I tend to be a little more mature and grown up than other guys my age which is a good and bad thing.
I'm extremely sarcastic and I don't get offended by much of anything.

I work full-time for one of the bigger Police/Fire/EMS services in the area as a 911 dispatcher.
It's given me a ton of knowledge and experience with all aspects of EMS but of course I prefer the fire/medical areas.
When I say bigger you need to understand that around here, the biggest city has maybe 100,000 people in it until you get down towards central Arkansas.

I have a lot of respect and admiration for my superiors - anybody who has been in the business awhile.

I'm just a fun-loving dude and I'm here to learn and contribute when I can.
I'm not a newbie to forums, just this one - I've been a Moderator at YotaTech for about 4 years now and a member for 6.

I'm a Toyota truck/SUV freak - been working on and wheeling them since I was legal to drive and even a little bit before that.

When I'm off-duty I try to study a lot, hang out with friends/family, have the occasional "recreational beverage" and watch a little UFC when I can.
My biggest passion is the outdoors - 4wheeling, hiking, kayaking, camping, etc...
I also frequent the gym, a lot...it's my stress relief - a good two hours there and I'm ready for the next shift.

I've rambled enough - just one last thing...
Just because I live in Arkansas does not mean that I'm automatically a "hick" or a "redneck."
Yes, I might have a slight southern accent but I have never and never plan on having relations with any of my relatives and I have all of my teeth. :p

If you really want to know more, just ask.

Thanks for reading,

:beerchug:

Fink

Deltachange

Forum Crew Member
I am Bryse, you can call me Delta.
I got my bls this year, and am taking a First Responder class. I am going to take the National test in December. Then college classes over the summer for my EMT-B with a Cardio cert and an IV cert so I can start jumping out of ambulances. My eventual goal is either a paramedic or a flight paramedic.
I am seventeen, almost eighteen, and have known first aid/CPR since I was twelve, and have used it multiple times. Looking forward to helping people.

dewd09

Forum Crew Member
I'm a student for life, always willing and eager to learn something new. I'm into off roading and good films, and at the moment, I'm eating these little dough sticks in chocolate cream called yam yam. Ha Ha. :p I won't be that active, because I try to limit "surfing of the internet" to less than an hour of my daily habits. I used to spend about 60 hours a week online, and have recovered. Though, I may give either Face Book, or My Space a try. I hail from New England, and I'm kind of shy, so don't expect much.

medicmanoge

Forum Ride Along
Hi. My name is Kyle and I am 28 y/o from the great state of Texas. Next week I will be taking my NREMTB test. Im studying like crazy for it. I want to get out into the field after my NR test. Im looking in the areas around North Texas, Austin, Beumont, East Texas for companies. I volunteered for a couple years for the local fire deparment and went through a citizens fire academy. I did several "ride outs" with different county and private companies around the area. Anybody know whos looking for hiring EMT-Bs?

PA_EMT688

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone! Dave here in southeast PA. I'm currently taking EMT Basic courses and loving every minute of it! Okay- maybe not every minute, but it's pretty exciting most of the time! :) Looking forward to making a difference once I get out in the field.

Glad I followed the link from the EMT/FF/Medic thread in the Misc. This looks like a great resource and I'm looking forward to reading and contributing.

Much respect for all of you who are already in the trenches and those who soon will be.

DGreno

Forum Probie
Hello. Im Dave from Effingham county GA. I am originally from Virginia where I am certified EMT-B. I am also nationally certified firefighter 1 and 2 as well as hazmat ops. I am in an NREMT-I class now as well as nursing school for my BSN. Im taking the BSN slowly so the EMT-I is sort of something to do on in the mean time. I have been lurking for a few days and decided to register. Thank you to everyone who makes this forum great!

thowle

Forum Crew Member
Guess I always neglected to post here. My name is Travis, and I'm been clean for almost 3 years!... okay well -- the Travis part is true (really, I'm clean!).

Anyway, I'm an EMT -- got it back in 2007. I'm a software developer for an IT company and part time EMT at a local agency running 911 ALS/BLS. I'm also the directory of EMTPortal, Inc.

I've been here every since sometime in 2007.

EMTim

Forum Probie
Hello all

New member here. Been an EMT for 3 years, finishing up medic internship over the next couple weeks. Looking forward to a long career in EMS, and being a life-long student.
Checked out the boards a little...it looks like there are plenty of seasoned EMT's here with much to offer.

dragonjbynight

Forum Crew Member
"official" intro..

Dragonjbynight, 28 central Indiana. I have been involved with Fire/rescue for 11 years and I will be starting my emt class end of october. As of now I am a Vol. FF and I drive our departments rig anytime i get a chance. I hope to become the best emt i can, further my education and training and jump into a paramedic program within the next couple years. I have enjoyed all the threads in this forum and offer thanks for any advice given ahead of time!

TheGiraffe

Forum Ride Along
New To EMT LIFE

Hello all,

I am 22 and a student at Savannah Technical College in Georgia. I am in my 2nd semester of EMT B and will test out in 6 month for EMT-I. I aspire to be an EMT-P and would like to work on the heli. I am a bit tall though and hope it won't hinder anything. 6'8'' to be exact. I would also like to learn how to fly the helicopter...just because I want to. I'd rather be on the medic side than a pilot. On my off time I am a dept manager at Food Lion and also do freelance design. :ph34r:

I also will be starting clinicals here soon...so I will probably have lots of questions.

RNgoneMedic

Forum Ride Along
Hey All

Hey all!
Well I'm Kelly and I have been an EMT-B for around 3 years.
I went to nursing school to get my RN, and HATED IT! So, now I am enrolled in Paramedic school!

SEBeast

Forum Crew Member
Hello

What's up everyone? I'm a Paramedic in Texas. Been a Paramedic for 4 years, Basic for 3 years before that, Fire Fighter for 7 years. I'm on a very busy Medic, anywhere between 12-18 calls per day.

MCGLYNN_EMTP

Forum Crew Member
Hey,
My name is Chris McGlynn.
I'm a 20 year old paramedic from Louisiana.
I work for Acadian Ambulance and have been working for about a year and a half now. I'm also a Vol. Firefighter for the fire department where I live. Yes...
I do still live with my parents for the time being...Just saving my money to move out one day and be comfortable when I do so. Other than that...I love EMS and could see myself doing anything else with my life. I want to be the best paramedic I can be so I came here to read articles on what other people do and think to try to get ideas on how to improve my game.
Want to know anything else? just ask...I'm a realllly layed back easy going person.